The Bar has Been Raised for FA's

apuszczalowski

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=167485&hubname=

The Leafs just resigned McCabe to a contract that will give him 5-6 million a year. I don't really know how much McCabe is really better then McKee, but that seems to raise the bar as to what a top defencemen is gonna cost on the open market, and that is probably double what Buffalo will want to spend on anybody.

Bryan McCabe 5-6 mill. a year... Jeez.

I got a feeling there'll be a crapload of teams dressing one line next year.

I look forward to playing the leafs again.

With these numbers I think they will be a 2 line team again:

McCabe $5 Million (appx.)

Mats Sundin $6.33 million

Ed Belfour $4.522 million

Tomas Kaberle $4.25 million

Darcy Tucker $1.596 million

Jeff O'Neill $1.5 million

Tie Domi $1.25 million

Chad Kilger $1.2 million

With the cap at about $40 Mill - they won't be going after many free agents.

That is great news.

I look forward to playing the leafs again.

With these numbers I think they will be a 2 line team again:

McCabe $5 Million (appx.)

Mats Sundin $6.33 million

Ed Belfour $4.522 million

Tomas Kaberle $4.25 million

Darcy Tucker $1.596 million

Jeff O'Neill $1.5 million

Tie Domi $1.25 million

Chad Kilger $1.2 million

With the cap at about $40 Mill - they won't be going after many free agents.

That is great news.

Did they pick up the option on Belfour? I figured that they were going to cut him loose.

Well, hopefully, McKee will consider taking less if they make a decent offer to stay put instead of going some place else since he's been here for 10 years already and the ship has turned around finally. I sure would hate to see him move on but money sure does have a seductive voice.

Well, hopefully, McKee will consider taking less if they make a decent offer to stay put instead of going some place else since he's been here for 10 years already and the ship has turned around finally. I sure would hate to see him move on but money sure does have a seductive voice.

He just might. Word I was hearing was that McKee MIGHT have wanted to play for his hometown Toronto Maple Leafs, but with them signing McCabe and having that payroll, they likely can't afford what he's worth. And I doubt he wants to leave a situation like he has in Buffalo, i.e. great team and close to Toronto, for a team outside of those two.

Sorry, maybe it's just me, but if someone wants to pay me an extra $750k-$1M more per year for 4-5 years than I can get in Buffalo, I'd put up with those Florida or even Pittsburgh winters. The Sabres are going to have to pony up for Jay. They weren't sure he had new NHL game(I wasn't either FWIW), so they risked exposing him to the opn market. That risk has been realized, and now it's time to pay...

Well that's you. Again McKee is from Toronto, and since they can't afford him, better to stick with a winning organization close to home. And I'm sure the Sabres will be competitive with their offer.

Well that's you. Again McKee is from Toronto, and since they can't afford him, better to stick with a winning organization close to home. And I'm sure the Sabres will be competitive with their offer.

I have a feeling that Darcy could up give McKee the Peca treatment. Ie low ball him because of his stats in terms of goals and assists etc. Granted I didn't think Peca was deserving of the contract he got with the Isles but still was hard to lose him as he was my favorite Sabre at the time including owning a Sabres sweater with his name/number etc on the back. Of course because of the way things turned out now I detest him but that's here nor there. As mentioned already McKee probably deserves about $3.5 ut have a feeling another team might offer him more.

That was Regier under Rigas. I have a feeling Golisano will have something to say. What McKee has done goes BEYOND goals and assists. He's taken many pucks to the body stopping shots.

And McKee is also a defencemen, someone you don't look to to supply a ton of goals, but someone you rely on to keep pucks from getting to your net (and with the most block shots in the league and playoffs this year, he has done that)

Gentlemen -- I am deeply concerned about losing McKee too, but can't we enjoy this team, this year, while we have them? Seasons like this don't come along very often. I don't think I've ever liked the personality of a pro sports team as much as I like this one.

It's inevitable that next year's team will be different from this team. Guys get traded, guys retire, guys are too expensive for their productivity, etc. etc. For example, it's quite likely that Teppo, McKee, Grier and Biron will all be gone next year. I don't want that to be the case, but it is what it is.

If McKee is a Leaf or a Panther or a Ranger or a Star or whatever next month, so be it. He will have given blood, sweat and tears to get us to this point and he will have well earned every dime he gets.

In the meantime, there is a pretty big game tonight, one that hopefully we'll remember with happiness 30 years from now.

Go Sabres.

If he becomes a Leaf, Flyer, Senator, or Cane, I will be sick to my stomach and think alot less of him, anywhere else i could learn to live with it.

I say he deserves a big contract, not McCabe size (or Roger Clemens size, man I wish I was making that kind of money) but something between 2-3 million a year for atleast 5 years. He has given his entire body to this organisation this season and deserves the raise.

Darcy, their better be a blank contract sitting on your desk right now, ready for McKee to give you his offer and signature the day after the playoffs are over.

Archived