Derek Roy and his reputation

rickshaw

Maybe Ruff will have to sit Roy. I mean, it's obvious the league is out to get him. Obviously this is sarcasm, but hell, what are they supposed to do (sabres).

I guess he's earned the rep himself, but that doesn't excuse the officials out to get him either.

How you can call that dive on him when Recchi blindsided him, is beyond me.

Just because the guy has dived in the past, doesn't mean he's always diving. Poor officiating off the hop again tonight.

Well, I'd even let that go, but the no call on Grier getting tripped, followed by a weak cross checking call on Roy that had Ruff in a tizzy was pretty amazing also...

Then, to make it even crazier, they called a phantom interference penalty against Carolina which was so obviously a "make-up" call when Williams barely bumped into Drury when he was chasing a puck....

I don't mind them calling penalties, and there were a few like Campbell's obvious intereference againt Adams that should have been called, but I mean let the penalties be penalties and the non-penalties be non-penalties...

Making a bad call against one team and then trying to make things even by calling a phantom penalty against the other team is just ludicrous, and has no business being in the regular season, let alone the playoffs. This is like AHL officiating and its ridiculous. It's as if they are saying let them play for 5 minutes and then the next 5 minutes, they are calling anything remotely resembling a penalty and even things that aren't penalties...

Please, NHL:

LET PENALTIES BE PENALTIES AND NON-PENALTIES BE NON-PENALTIES

(Or, maybe just get the refs from the Edmonton-Anaheim series in our series, they seem to be very consistent from the games I have watched, giving 5-3's when they are warranted regardless of the situation)

The league needs to weed out the neanderthal officials who think it's their job to establish control the game via how tightly and when they call the penalties. They sent the message that they're serious about doing so by bumping Koho and Fraser out of the remaining rounds of playoffs. As opposed to the NFL, apparently in the "new NHL" an official's performance in the playoffs carries more weight than his seniority.

Commodore's dive was hilarious. How that's not called is beyond me.

Great win tonight. Much like the other night's game, where it was closer than it really was.

IF not for some huge saves by both their goalies, we slaughter them. Nobody said it would be easy.

The officiating is what it is, and unfortunately, it's not very good right now, going both ways.

I'd like to see them just dump that diving call. To me, a dive occurs when no other foul is committed. It seems the only dives that are now called are even-ups. It's really ridiculous. If a guy takes a hit that warrants a penalty, is he really expected to maintain his feet through the foul?

In my opinion, if a guy dives, he's taking himself out of the play, so let him. Enough with these bogus calls. If a ref thinks that a team is diving, just don't call the penalty on the opposing team.

The officiating is what it is, and unfortunately, it's not very good right now, going both ways.

I'd like to see them just dump that diving call. To me, a dive occurs when no other foul is committed. It seems the only dives that are now called are even-ups. It's really ridiculous. If a guy takes a hit that warrants a penalty, is he really expected to maintain his feet through the foul?

In my opinion, if a guy dives, he's taking himself out of the play, so let him. Enough with these bogus calls. If a ref things that a team is diving, just don't call the penalty on the opposing team.

The problem with that is that any obstruction whatsoever is supposed to be called, even if it isn't enough to take the guy down.

The problem with that is that any obstruction whatsoever is supposed to be called, even if it isn't enough to take the guy down.

Sure, I agree. But if they always called it like they should, guys wouldn't feel the need to embellish it.

Just my opinion, I'm probably in the minority, and it's really not a huge deal to me, but I don't like the diving rule.

Commodore dove behind his net when he was looking for a call on Briere and I'm sure there a few more.

The OLN announcers seemed oblivious to that fact. Commodore, all 6'5" and 235 lbs of him, went flying to the ice after 5'7" 165 lbs Briere touched his knee with his stick. I was thinking, boy if I've ever seen diving, and the OLN announcers were commenting on how bad a penalty it was to take. :unsure:

Derek Roy is not a big guy, when a big NHL player hits him, he is gonna fall, and that one in the first period was not a dive, he got hit.

I just don't get how you can call a penalty on one team and then call the other team for diving. Isn't that just the ref trying to cover his @ss? "Well the guy went down as if there was a penalty, but it didn't quite look like a penalty occured, so lets put both in the box, one for the penalty and the other for diving"

Now that Roy has a reputation for diving, his career is screwed. He is going to constantly get called for diving wiether he does or not cause the officials are going to assume he does it all the time. Diving should not be something awarded with a penalty on the ice, it should be reviewed by the league and a fine should be sent to the player if it is determined after the review that it was a dive. It will get alot of players out of the habbit of diving if you hit them in their wallet

The OLN announcers seemed oblivious to that fact. Commodore, all 6'5" and 235 lbs of him, went flying to the ice after 5'7" 165 lbs Briere touched his knee with his stick. I was thinking, boy if I've ever seen diving, and the OLN announcers were commenting on how bad a penalty it was to take. :unsure:

I also thought Staal did a pretty decent flop to his knees in the neutral zone during the first period. Penalty on the Sabres. :angry:

I was really disappointed with Olcykz's comments after Commodore went down like he had stepped on a land mine. I don't get the Commodore love-fest by the fans & announcers - I don't think he's that good of a player, and I think he's a clown. I guess I'd feel differently if I was a'Canes fan...

When Staal went down as easily as he did, I just shook my head - I think most of the Sabres would have to literally tackle him to get him off his skates at the end. I was glad to see Ryan give him a little slap in the face during that late-game scrum...

I I was glad to see Ryan give him a little slap in the face during that late-game scrum...

Roy also gave Staal a nice shot to the head during one of the scrums. I've said it before, but the NHL has to look at the size of the player when trying to figure out who is diving.

Archived