2006-07 NHL team payrolls

PromoTheRobot

The Sabres have the least amount of payroll commitments for 2006-2007 of any NHL team. I knew McKee was a free agent. How many other Sabre players have to be resigned?

PTR

Team (contracts) Top-paid player Total team salary

1. Buffalo (3) Chris Drury ($3.002m) $6.144m

2. St. Louis (8) Keith Tkachuk ($5.7m) $11.473m

3. Washington (8) Olaf Kolzig ($5.45m) $12.034m

4. Minnesota (8) Manny Fernandez ($4.3m) $13.402m

5. Pittsburgh (14) Sergei Gonchar ($5m) $15.639m

6. Phoenix (9) Derek Morris ($3.9m) $17.257m

7. Ottawa (8) Dany Heatley ($4.5m) $17.441m

8. Carolina (11) Rod Brind'Amour ($3.99m) $18.091m

9. Florida (12) Olli Jokinen ($5.25m) $18.650m

10. Nashville (9) Paul Kariya ($4.5m) $18.830m

11. Boston (10) Glen Murray ($4.15m) $18.851m

12. Colorado (10) Jose Theodore ($5.33m) $18.938m

13. Chicago (8) Nikolai Khabibulin ($6.75m) $18.943m

14. NY Islanders (7) Alexei Yashin ($7.415m) $19.381m

15. Edmonton (11) Chris Pronger ($6.25m) $19.666m

16. Anaheim (11) Scott Niedermayer ($6.75m) $20.768m

17. NY Rangers (12) Jaromir Jagr ($4.94m) $21.748m

18. Montreal (10) Saku Koivu ($4.75m) $22.903m

19. Columbus (9) Sergei Fedorov ($6.08m) $23.728m

20. Detroit (12) Pavel Datsyuk ($3.9m) $24.043m

21. Los Angeles (12) Pavol Demitra ($4.5m) $24.142m

22. Toronto (13) Mats Sundin ($6.33m) $24.587m

23. Vancouver (8) Markus Naslund ($6m) $24.997m

24. Tampa Bay (12) Vincent Lecavalier ($6.85m) $26.128m

25. Atlanta (11) Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.489m) $27.840m

26. New Jersey (14) Martin Brodeur ($5.2m) $28.225m

27. San Jose (12) Joe Thornton ($6.67m) $29.160m

28. Philadelphia (14) Peter Forsberg ($5.75m) $30.152m

29. Dallas (13) Bill Guerin ($6.739m) $31.052m

30. Calgary (16) Jarome Iginla ($7m) $32.240m

if i recall correctly, only miller, drury and two or three others are signed through 07... we have to sign like 18 RFAs

Close - 17 (not counting guys down in Ra-cha-cha).

Sabres RFA's

Max

Marty

Danny

Brian

Timmy

JP

Paul

Dmitri

Ales

Toni

Adam

Ryan

Jason

Andrew

Taylor

Derek

and Henrik.

The UFA's as mentioned previously are

Rory

Mike

Jay

and Teppo.

Which would put the guys under contract for next season as

Chris,

Jochen,

and Thomas.

Looks like Darcy will be a busy little boy 1 month from now.

"14. NY Islanders (7) Alexei Yashin ($7.415m)"

Ouch...

Actually, since his contract was above the 1/4 of team salary threshold, if (when) the salary cap goes up next year, his salary MAY go up as well. (Never seen the CBA so I don't know for certain that he'd get more, but I don't see why not.)

I am still amazed that Milbury kept his job as long as he did. I am even more amazed that instead of firing him they didn't just shoot him.

It's going to be an interesting offseason at the foot of Main St. Darcy certainly has his work cut out for him, but at the same time, the Sabres play a style of hockey that I think allows certain elements, especially wingers, to be easily replaced, as long as the wingers are fast and have some ability to play in both ends. There should be a glut of these types of guys on the open market this offseason. The only problem I see, is that success does two things.

1- It helps to jack up the price of the talent that got you to the finals. This is why a 30+ year old Dwayne Roloson will end up getting probably $3.5 mil next year. The farther we go, and the better our guys perform, the more expensive they get.

2- Success breeds imitation. Looking at the styles of play of the final 4 teams, Buffalo, Carolina and Anahiem play a fast, attacking style of game. It's sure to be imitated throughout the league in the coming seasons. Not every GM (ahem...Bobby Clarke, ahem, ahem) will do this, and teams that already have 15 players re-signed will make it tougher to swap styles in just a year, but I think players that "fit" with the Buffalo style of play might see their cost increase a bit as well.

Close - 17 (not counting guys down in Ra-cha-cha).

Sabres RFA's

Max

Marty

Danny

Brian

Timmy

JP

Paul

Dmitri

Ales

Toni

Adam

Ryan

Jason

Andrew

Taylor

Derek

and Henrik.

Any idea how much $ it's going to take to sign all them? I know it's a difficult question but, I have had a hard time researching this and I'm concerned about what will be left to sign Jay and Mike. All those players will be due at least the same $, and in a lot of their cases, slight raises.

I like the fact that we can take all of the money we have and reward the guys already on this team rather than have to go out and get expensive FA talent.

I'm hoping that the guys in the locker room realize how good a thing we have going here and want to continue to be a part of it when they go to negotiate. I know they want to get paid, but it is also a rare thing in sports to potentially be part of a great system like they have here.

I have been resisting the urge to comment on this. It seems so far away, and I have to wonder about people who want to talk about this now.

But...

Young team on the cusp. Revenues and profits up. Season ticket sales up. Interest at almost an all time high. People have gotten a taste of winning, entertaining hockey. You're $10 million under the cap. You have a multi-billionaire owner.

Keep this thing together. Even add to it.

SHOW THEM THE MONEY.

I will vomit the day we hear "we can't afford Jay McKee." How can you not afford him?

I have been resisting the urge to comment on this. It seems so far away, and I have to wonder about people who want to talk about this now.

But...

Young team on the cusp. Revenues and profits up. Season ticket sales up. Interest at almost an all time high. People have gotten a taste of winning, entertaining hockey. You're $10 million under the cap. You have a multi-billionaire owner.

Keep this thing together. Even add to it.

SHOW THEM THE MONEY.

I will vomit the day we hear "we can't afford Jay McKee." How can you not afford him?

I don't see this team making more than a 10% hike in overall salary. Maybe 20% if Tom is feeling generous. He is a billionaire for a reason. He doesn't throw $ away and is under no obligation to pour $ into a losing proposition. So maybe, next year they spend 35 million to this years 29 million. Is that enough to sign all our RFA along with Mckee and Greir?

He is a billionaire for a reason. He doesn't throw $ away and is under no obligation to pour $ into a losing proposition.

He doesn't throw money away? Remember those runs for governor he made? I was working in NYC a lot at the time and you couldn't watch TV for 5 minutes without seeing a Gollisano commercial. Its not like he was a shoe-in for the seat running as an Independent against a multi-term incumbent Republican gov and Andrew Cuomo running on the Dem ticket. I'd say he threw that money away.

And losing proposition? He's in the black after 3 years (one year without hockey at all) and each home playoff game adds another million in profits. Not to mention all the good will he has in WNY now. After seeing folks fawn over him when he does public appearences, I'd say most Sabres fans would take a bullet for him.

I would also bet that season ticket sales for next year are going to be WAY up.

I think that it would be a very shrewd move for him to keep this team as intact as he can, and even to add some experienced defensemen to it.

He doesn't throw money away? Remember those runs for governor he made? I was working in NYC a lot at the time and you couldn't watch TV for 5 minutes without seeing a Gollisano commercial. Its not like he was a shoe-in for the seat running as an Independent against a multi-term incumbent Republican gov and Andrew Cuomo running on the Dem ticket. I'd say he threw that money away.

And losing proposition? He's in the black after 3 years (one year without hockey at all) and each home playoff game adds another million in profits. Not to mention all the good will he has in WNY now. After seeing folks fawn over him when he does public appearences, I'd say most Sabres fans would take a bullet for him.

I would also bet that season ticket sales for next year are going to be WAY up.

I think that it would be a very shrewd move for him to keep this team as intact as he can, and even to add some experienced defensemen to it.

I don't think we can really equate the fact that he personally financed his own campaign with personally pouring millions of dollars into a team that might not even need it. Larry Quinn expects season tickets to nearly double next year. I'm sure they will keep this team mostly intact but I don't see them maxing out the cap and signing players to 4 or 5 million dollar contracts.

As far as Golisano being in the black after 3 years. Yes his team made money this year but what about the previous two. (yes I know there wasn't hockey last year but did he make or lose money) We don't know how much money was lost those years but I can guarantee it was lost.

My point was, it's his team, his money, he does not have to do anything with it. Do I expect this team to have a 50% turnover? No. Do I excpect to see some minor tweaking of the roster, to keep the team concept in line as well as the budget. Hell YES.

Archived