Something I noticed in the last series

apuszczalowski

I realise Ottawa is from Canada and that this is the playoffs, but I noticed alot of disrespect at the arena and the pre-game party for Canadians. Not all of us are Leafs fans turned into Sabres fans just for the playoffs, or Sens fans at the games. Before game 4 people were booing the Canadian national anthem. A huge part of Buffalos fan base crosses the boarder to come to games and its not an easy task to get over to games either. Not every Sabres fan is from Buffalo. Most of the players on the Sabres roster are Canadian too.

I don't feel the need to diss the US when I'm watching a Jays/Yankees or Red Sox or <insert MLB team here>. I must say, the Ottawa fans were good fans and easy to deal with at games (even though I saw many Sabres fans making some very philly fan like comments to some in the hallways of the arena. I guess its just playoff fever hitting most fans right now, but I can say from what I have seen, not every fan of Buffalo shows the class that we want other teams fans to think we have

I realise Ottawa is from Canada and that this is the playoffs, but I noticed alot of disrespect at the arena and the pre-game party for Canadians. Not all of us are Leafs fans turned into Sabres fans just for the playoffs, or Sens fans at the games. Before game 4 people were booing the Canadian national anthem. A huge part of Buffalos fan base crosses the boarder to come to games and its not an easy task to get over to games either. Not every Sabres fan is from Buffalo. Most of the players on the Sabres roster are Canadian too.

I don't feel the need to diss the US when I'm watching a Jays/Yankees or Red Sox or <insert MLB team here>. I must say, the Ottawa fans were good fans and easy to deal with at games (even though I saw many Sabres fans making some very philly fan like comments to some in the hallways of the arena. I guess its just playoff fever hitting most fans right now, but I can say from what I have seen, not every fan of Buffalo shows the class that we want other teams fans to think we have

Booing anthems is complete crap. Happened in San Jose tonight, too. And I've seen the Filly-style behavior also (but mostly in the Filly series). Just because the other team's fans may be idiots (not the case with the Sens), doesn't make it cool to act like idiots ourselves. Too bad some Buffalo fans haven't any class.

Let's not boo "God Save the South" or "Dixie" or whatever anthem they play for Carolina, okay? And if any Carolina fans are in the building, let's treat them with at least basic human respect, if we can't be downright hospitable.

I do realize that most of the folks who read this board regularly are probably not the problem.

Only place in Canada i've seen or heard about the USA anthem being booed is Montreal

and they do it alot, and not just at hockey games.

I personaly don't do it, but at the same time i really don't care. Why is it a big deal? Booing the Canadian anthem is disrespectful to Canada...who cares? booing the other team, players is disrespectful to them. So why does everyone do it?

They booed the starting of it, I was surprised because it had to be the first time I heard them do it in Buffalo (I was also in the 300 level)

Considering that the other 18,000 people are respectully quiet, than it does nto take that many people to make it sound as though there is rampant booing. There were always be a small group of morons at every game.

Otherwise, outside of the anthem, I don't think it was as much a Canadian thing as it simply was a matter of geography. By that I mean, whomever we play, people and extremist, will find something to dislike or disrespect of the other team. This last round, the opponent just happened to be from Canada.....

I have not lived back home in a long time, but if it was anything towards Canadian fans, I think it was born out of dislike for the Leaf and/or Habs fans and it sounds like people from Ottawa are of a different class of fan than those two other cities....

Rather than showing disrespect to the country of Canada, this is a misguided attempt by some not-so-smart fans to get under the skin of the opposing team. It's just another way for a few rockheads to show that they don't like the Sens, Leafs, Oilers, etc.

Really, does anyone believe that the fans are going to boo the Canadian national anthem before the Hurricane games?

It's really kind of stupid, because so many of our favorite players on the Sabres are Canadian, and the playing of the Candadian anthem is to show respect for them and the Candadian Sabre fans.

The crowd shots showed some seriously liquored up...face painted...banner waving...young adults at HSBC. With each round there is going to be more tailgating, more drinking and more rowdiness than ever before. It doesn't surprise me if a few (100 or less) of these idiots boo the Canadian anthem. They are just doing it because we were playing a Canadian team. I doubt we'll hear it again. I would be much more shcoked to see fans booing the power play again since that is not just a few drunk idiots.

I would bet that in Edmonton for game 6 the fans give a huge ovation for the American National Anthem - further showing how classy we/they are... Only place in Canada i've seen or heard about the USA anthem being booed is Montreal

Ummm...no. When the US invaded Iraq in 2003, our anthem was booed across your country at hockey games and otherwise.

I think they were shouting

BOO-URNS.....

BOO-URNS...

:P

great call - i was going to post the same thing but didn't know how many Simpsons fans are still out there!

That is my 2nd favorite Simpsons line to my all-time after the town of SPringfield is over-run by mammals and Homer quips "You know....you have to hand it to those dolphins, they just wanted it more!"

I am a Canadian Sabres fan. I have been all my life and don't expect I will ever change teams in my life. No booing any anthems!! But it does make me mad when Leafs fans become Sabres fans in the playoffs only. I feel like knocking them out.

GO SABRES!!

It's really kind of stupid, because so many of our favorite players on the Sabres are Canadian, and the playing of the Candadian anthem is to show respect for them and the Candadian Sabre fans.

Exactly. And it is a big deal because it does show a lack of respect to a country we work closely with on a lot of things. The NHL is a 2 country league and many of our players are from Canada. I'm a U.S. citizen but I always like hearing the Canadian anthem (it brings back good memories for me of the Aud for some reason). In the old days at the Aud, I just remember everyone loudly cheering the Canadian anthem and then cheering even louder for the U.S. In my opinion, it is a nice part to honor both countries and to recognize that the NHL is international in scope.

But it does pose an interesting question- If Miller was Canadian and was passed over for the Canadian national team, would Buffalo fans be screaming "CANADA CANADA CANADA!" during every game?

The real question is - does anyone believe the Canadian national anthem will be played :P

Like I said in my post, the Sabres have always played the anthem to honor their Candadian born players and fans.

Every person on this board can sing the CNA. Drunk or sober. :P

Archived