Koharski

Taro T

Great non-call 1:30 into the game when Neil laid out McKee about 6 seconds after the whistle. Nice job, NHL. Made the league look GREAT in the eyes of everyone outside of Buffalo and Ottawa who were watching, which probably was no one, because of crap like that.

After the first, the officiating was considerably more balanced.

Let's see a great Sabs v. whichever other red/black team they meet, and let's see some decent officials.

Good job Sabs!

Officials were terrible.

Isn't it great when they award Ottawa a 5-3 without announcing the call.

On the positive side however, Tallinder got away with another glove in the crease. :D

Sorry, but the 1st glove in the crease hit his wrist. The 2nd, the puck was covered by Ryan's legs. (I don't consider jumping on Ryan to keep the ref from seeing the puck as covering the puck with his hand.)

This one, yeah, he was REAL LUCKY he didn't get called for a penalty shot against.

Another thing that stood out was 1st period, and Koharski totally took away Briere's shooting lane. That was awful, and a great scoring chance. (At least I think it was Koharski?)

Oh yeah, it was donut boy. And then Fisher pounded Danny at the blue line (which was actually a legit hit but just ticked me off even more).

Maybe I'm just a conspiracy theorist and for sure biased but it look like we gonna get jobbed by the NHL. Just seemed to me like they wanted to keep Ottawa in it by tilting the table slightly. Like the McKee non-call, the puck in the net after like three whistles, only one of the kneeing calls called, two five-on-three and 3 in the last 3 or 4 periods. My gf who's probably seen less than 10 games of hockey mentioned that they seemed to favor the other side. But, I know I'm biased and I was super tense watching it. Wore me out..I was drained. Oh well, let's just hope we get better officiating in the next round.

So we got both Fraser and Koharski so far, who's next?

Both of them again? Both of them in the same game?

Yikes!

I really think we will not have a complete transition to the "new" NHL until after the Frasers and Koharskis of the world are gone ... look at last night, they swallowed the whistles in the 3rd period (1 penalty) and the OT call just had to be made, they could not ignore it, but nothing marginal was going to get called.

For better or worse, they have called games a certain way for so long, it is hard to change them ...

As far as the conspiracy theories, I struggle with it. I have always said, to say they are trying to job the Sabres implies they have the ability to call a good game and are choosing not to ... Koharski (and the officiating in general) has sucked for YEARS ... i can't bring myself to now say he sucks only to job the Sabres ... but MAN that call on Fitzpatrick to give them a 5-on-3 was one of those that makes you wonder.

Koharski used to own a restaurant/recreational place right near Ottawa's arena (Which will forever by the Corel Centre to me, although the rink under half of the football bleachers was sweet). It was actually a cool place, indoor batting cages, floor hockey rink, basketball hoop, but come on, he must be from around there, or at least lives there now. The fact that the league would assign him to work that game, in Ottawa is quite pathetic. They were terrible both ways the entire series, and Buffalo definitely got more of the #%^$#! end of the stick. Perhaps they're too old to keep up with the speedy game.

Maybe I'm just a conspiracy theorist and for sure biased but it look like we gonna get jobbed by the NHL. Just seemed to me like they wanted to keep Ottawa in it by tilting the table slightly.

I don't bye into consipracy theories that the NHL wants one team over another. I do subscribe to home ice officiating bias as home crowds just have got to influence referees. Afterall, who wants to be booed, player or official?

I think it is natural to feel that calls are going against you. But a look at the series shows 24 penalties for Ottawa and 26 for Buffalo.

I know, I know they have four 5-on-3's to none for us. I can't explain that. I also know that the timing of their penalties sure seemed surprising. But think about it, Buffalo was playing a "defend the Alamo" game plan. They let Ottawa bring the game to Buffalo side of the ice for the better part of three full games. Buffalo was playing to protect a one goal lead each time. All that time in the defensive zone is just asking for penalties to be called. And they were. The game was on the line each time. So the calls seemed bigger. By product of the game plan I say.

Here's to hoping they play in the offensive zone in the next series.

Sabres Fan in Maryland

I'm sure Ottawa fans are also screaming that Tallinder's swatting of the puck in the crease didn't bring a penalty shot. Their bad calls affected both teams.

Yeah I completely agree. That was a penalty shot that wasn't called. Water off a ducks back for the Sabres fan, reason to curse for the Senators fan. Penalties are personal to the team and the fan. There isn't a more punitative penalty in professional sports than the hockey penalty (except maybe pass interference in the end zone). It completely changes the flow of a game and gives a decided advantage to one team in a game where scoring is precious. So when they are called, and its your team, it's like taking a punch in the stomach beacuse you just know the entire momentum of the game is about to change.

5-on-3 should be outlawed. That is a ridiculous advantage for one team. If another penalty is called when someone is in the box, just keep that person in there longer to serve out the second penalty.

I'm sure Ottawa fans are also screaming that Tallinder's swatting of the puck in the crease didn't bring a penalty shot. Their bad calls affected both teams.

There's no penalty for swatting a puck out of the crease only for covering the puck in the crease with a glove. Talinder's play was 100% legal.

There's no penalty for swatting a puck out of the crease only for covering the puck in the crease with a glove. Talinder's play was 100% legal.

Wrong.

Rule 59d. Handling the Puck

A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player, except the goalkeeper, who, while play is in progress, picks up the puck off the ice with his hand.

If a player, except a goalkeeper, while play is in progress, picks up the puck with his hand from the ice in the goal crease area, the play shall be stopped immediately and a penalty shot shall be awarded to the non-offending Team.

The 1st time that Tallinder did it, he hit the puck with his wrist. In this game, it sure did look like he put his hand on the puck and picked it up. In fairness to the refs (bet you'd never hear me say that in this thread :P), I don't know that they could see Tallinder grab it with all the bodies and chaos around the net.

Wrong.

Rule 59d. Handling the Puck

A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player, except the goalkeeper, who, while play is in progress, picks up the puck off the ice with his hand.

If a player, except a goalkeeper, while play is in progress, picks up the puck with his hand from the ice in the goal crease area, the play shall be stopped immediately and a penalty shot shall be awarded to the non-offending Team.

The 1st time that Tallinder did it, he hit the puck with his wrist. In this game, it sure did look like he put his hand on the puck and picked it up. In fairness to the refs (bet you'd never hear me say that in this thread :P), I don't know that they could see Tallinder grab it with all the bodies and chaos around the net.

he didn't "pick it up"...he swatted it away...big difference..thus no penalty!

he didn't "pick it up"...he swatted it away...big difference..thus no penalty!

When I watched it, I didn't think the puck stayed on the ice and he had his fingers around the puck. I have seen much less contact between the skater's fingers and the puck result in a penalty shot.

The thing is, the refs didn't think he grabbed it and the Sens weren't complaining, so it works for me.

When I watched it, I didn't think the puck stayed on the ice and he had his fingers around the puck. I have seen much less contact between the skater's fingers and the puck result in a penalty shot.

The thing is, the refs didn't think he grabbed it and the Sens weren't complaining, so it works for me.

Ding, we have a winner! Go Sabres!

Was it just me or did it appear that the refs gave Ottawa several warnings about the after the whistle . If this is so, why not go to the dresing rooms before the game, say that this stuff will not be tolerated AT ALL and penalize from the first infraction(Neil on McKee).

I thought the refereeing from both teams perspective was horrendous.

Was it just me or did it appear that the refs gave Ottawa several warnings about the after the whistle . If this is so, why not go to the dresing rooms before the game, say that this stuff will not be tolerated AT ALL and penalize from the first infraction(Neil on McKee).

I thought the refereeing from both teams perspective was horrendous.

It wasn't just you. Koharski gave Neil a long talking-to after he upended McKee. I noticed it happened at least once after that as well.

That's crap in my opinion. I agree with you, Labatt. Should have talked to them before the game. Like during the anthems or something.

Peterboro Referee: Got my eye on the three of you. You pull one thing, you're out of this game. I run a clean game here. I have any trouble here, I'll suspend ya. I'll...

Steve Hanson: I'm listening to the f---ing song!

:D

It wasn't just you. Koharski gave Neil a long talking-to after he upended McKee. I noticed it happened at least once after that as well.

That's crap in my opinion. I agree with you, Labatt. Should have talked to them before the game. Like during the anthems or something.

:D

No doubt he was telling him (just as he had done to Kasparaitis 5 years ago), now if you do that again you'll be in really, really, really, REALLY, big trouble and I might have to consider, possibly, maybe, if I really have to, perhaps calling a penalty on you.

Archived