Casey Mittelstadt traded for Bowen Byram

inkman

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

5 players from the Canadian 2020 U20 team.  Didn’t they lose to the US?  Cozens, Krebs, Quinn, Byram and Levi.

Maybe they’ll have better luck in the NHL.  Ryan Johnson was on the US squad.

Canada beat Russia to win the gold medal at the 2020 Juniors. The US was 2-4 in the regular round and didn't make the medal round. Sweden beat Finland for the bronze.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Like most GMs, I think KA is more inclined to trade guys he inherited (like Mitts) than guys he chose -- but would they really reduce their limited supply of RHD?  It's an interesting question.

Now if they wanted to trade a RHD -- Power, Savoie and a #1 for Tkachuk?

In any case I would love another big move, although I fear it won't matter until a new coach is brought in.

This thought crossed my mind as well...

17 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Like most GMs, I think KA is more inclined to trade guys he inherited (like Mitts) than guys he chose -- but would they really reduce their limited supply of RHD?  It's an interesting question.

In any case I would love another big move, although I fear it won't matter until a new coach is brought in.

nah, I ain't trading Power or Dahlin

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Ctaeth said:

side note:  screwed the pooch is an odd phrase, never really thought about that one in a literal sense.    

That's the thing.  You aren't supposed to.

My two cents.

I liked Mitts but I think that Thompson and Cozens are 1&2 C going forward. KA would have to pay all 3 C’s $7M each, which probably wouldn’t work.

I have always liked Byram, he is definitely a top 4 guy, just the wrong hand. I think KA makes another move or two here so this is not how the D line up in October.

I see this as a sell high on Mitts, he is pretty much at his max production in Buffalo. I like his chances to go deep into the playoffs and will watch closely. The Avs really need a 2C and he could find a nice spot there. Once the Sabres are eliminated, the Avs are who I will pull for.

One of the LHD might get flipped or one of these guys becomes permanent on the right side.

As others have said, the dressing room gets a wake up call, which I like. 
I hope the next moves are for a gritty forward or two.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3

Just now, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

He should just retire and refuse to come to this shithole of a franchise. 

Why don't you beat it then? No, I don't like people talking about our franchise like this on our Sabres message board.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I cannot stand Krebs lol I’m sorry. Like I won’t lie and pretend like i think he’s a bad player because im hiding a bias. I’m putting it out there, outright. I am not a reliable narrator for analysis of his on ice play haha 

30 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I would move Samuelsson first 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

I cannot stand Krebs lol I’m sorry. Like I won’t lie and pretend like i think he’s a bad player because im hiding a bias. I’m putting it out there, outright. I am not a reliable narrator for analysis of his on ice play haha 

It is not good...

Just now, Thorny said:

I'm honestly kinda curious as to why exactly; he annoys me at times but I've never had immense feelings good or bad with him.

5 minutes ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

I believe he'll actually thrive here. Since Don isn't going anywhere and a development coach could help this kid regain his 4th over all stature, at least, I'm counting it.

It also is a bonus he's besties with Cozens and good friends with Krebs, who I also don't see going anywhere. Let's see how this plays out.

I don’t know if I saw this view in the pages above, but I wonder if this was a result of the failed Free Agent Defenseman signings the past two years. 

I could see a scenario where Adams was wanting to fix the Top 4 D (or, the Top 6) and didn’t want to try to rely on another Free Agent that you’re hoping slides into 4D role, but fails (Lybushkin, Clifton, and maybe kind of E Johnson - obviously debatable, but none of them were brought in to sit in the press box). 

This way, the D is solidified to some combination of Dahlin, Power, Byram, Samuelson, and two of Jokiharu, R Johnson, or Clifton. Even in some off years, there’s at least 4, and probably 5-6, legitimately good NHL Defenseman in there. 

Like others mentioned, my guess is that it also included some motivation that Mittlestadt wasn’t going to be paid likely market rate by the Sabres, wasn’t going to take a discount, and we weren’t going to pay our three centers all in the range of $7M per year. 

It hurts our Forward core currently, for sure. You don’t trade away your leading scorer in the current season and get better instantly. I am hopeful though that this means we’re either;

a) Confident in Kulich or Rosen

or

b) Looking at other Forward options in trade or free agency, where maybe Adams was more confident in being successful than the recent Defense Free Agent failures

I’d really like to see Adams use some draft capitol or prospects to get another Top 6 Forward in the off-season, and maybe sign 1-2 other depth Forwards. That, along with re-signing Lukkonnen, would make me feel better about Mittlestadt trade. 

If Adams does nothing else to improve the Forward ranks, this will feel pretty disappointing. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, French Collection said:

My two cents.

I liked Mitts but I think that Thompson and Cozens are 1&2 C going forward. KA would have to pay all 3 C’s $7M each, which probably wouldn’t work.

I have always liked Byram, he is definitely a top 4 guy, just the wrong hand. I think KA makes another move or two here so this is not how the D line up in October.

I see this as a sell high on Mitts, he is pretty much at his max production in Buffalo. I like his chances to go deep into the playoffs and will watch closely. The Avs really need a 2C and he could find a nice spot there. Once the Sabres are eliminated, the Avs are who I will pull for.

One of the LHD might get flipped or one of these guys becomes permanent on the right side.

As others have said, the dressing room gets a wake up call, which I like. 
I hope the next moves are for a gritty forward or two.

I agree with you on Tage Thompson but another Sabres center will take Dylan Cozens place at some point because he isn’t skilled enough to be a number two center. Dylan Cozens on a good team is a 3rd or 4th line checking center if he decides to play every game instead of floating. The Bowen Byram trade would be good if the defensemen the Sabres got back didn’t have 3 concussions and he is 22 years old. I think it comes down to do you have trust in the Buffalo Sabres management or the Colorado Avalanche management? I don’t trust the Sabres management the Avalanche wouldn’t trade Byram if they felt ok with his concussions. The Avalanche know Byram is one good hit away from his career being over in the NHL. The sad thing is Byram is coming to a very physical Eastern Conference style of hockey where he going to be hit by teams like the Boston Bruins. The Bruins are going to test him right away that is what concerns me with the Bowen Byram trade. It’s unfortunate but some players there heads aren’t able to take contact while other players can take contact and be fine it’s the great mystery of a persons brain in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

38 minutes ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

Just like Berglund, O'Reilly, Eichel, Reinhart, Ullmark, and Hall.

Worked for all of them.

Oh and ERod, Montour, Vesey, Sheary, Myers, Risto, Foligno, Satan, Briere, Drury, Deslauriers, Zadorov, Grigorenko, Armia, Lemieux, Byron, Johansson, Kane, Bogosian, Hasek...

The list goes oonnn and onnnn.

Edited by seer775
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Then again, part of my bias for Krebs is that I have talked to him twice at Bills gams

Just now, Buffalo Super Fan said:

I agree with you on Tage Thompson but another Sabres center will take Dylan Cozens place at some point because he isn’t skilled enough to be a number two center. Dylan Cozens on a good team is a 3rd or 4th line checking center if he decides to play every game instead of floating. The Bowen Byram trade would be good if the defensemen the Sabres got back didn’t have 3 concussions and he is 22 years old. I think it comes down to do you have trust in the Buffalo Sabres management or the Colorado Avalanche management? I don’t trust the Sabres management the Avalanche wouldn’t trade Byram if they felt ok with his concussions. The Avalanche know Byram is one good hit away from his career being over in the NHL. The sad thing is Byram is coming to a very physical Eastern Conference style of hockey where he going to be hit by teams like the Boston Bruins. The Bruins are going to test him right away that is what concerns me with the Bowen Byram trade. It’s unfortunate but some players there heads aren’t able to take contact while other players can take contact and be fine it’s the great mystery of a persons brain in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

What...... WTF?

Boston and Philly are physical sure, but the rest don't hold a candle to the Western Conference's physicality 

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

That’s funny.  I was just going to ball wash Peyton.  Definition of a beauty.  GTFO!!🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

Wait - I thought the point of the trade was to appease the SabreSpacers that can't stand the fact that the players hang out and do young adult things? If he knows people already, then it is just right back to Dahlin's basement for more fork-knife, right? /s

Fork-knife!?!? 

Laughing Out Loud Lol GIF by Minions

👀

13 minutes ago, inkman said:

That’s funny.  I was just going to ball wash Peyton.  Definition of a beauty.  GTFO!!🤣

I’m sure he’s a great dude. Like in real life. In so far as I maintain we actually know little to nothing about celebrities, and athletes are no exception. But, nonetheless, from what we can tell. That being said, and somewhat contradictory to that idea, I will say to me that this character on my Sabres tv show is clearly ultimate Bro dude

when you are as old as me, well it’s sort of self explanatory 

Edited by Thorny