(OT) big layoff at work

Marvin

Thanks everyone hopefully I land something soon. 

As Kas23 mentioned large hospital groups and even Health Insurance Companies are buying up everything to maximize profits.

Welcome to future of US Healthcare 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

As Kas23 mentioned large hospital groups and even Health Insurance Companies are buying up everything to maximize profits.

I'm certain you are capable of getting a kick ass power play system in place. Get your resume over to KA first thing Monday morning.

Otherwise, doors will open and opportunities will present themselves. Best of luck and keep your head up.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/19/2024 at 4:19 PM, Brawndo said:

Nothing worse than being on vacation and getting a text message from your boss that we need to talk when you get back. I reached out to him and asked what was up and he mentioned there was a reduction in workforce of 20-35% and that 75% of the physicians from our division where being laid off. It was done over a Zoom Meeting earlier that morning and of course the higher ups still had not shared the list of who was being cut with him( He is a very good friend of mine we have known each other since college so I know he wasn’t BSing me) I checked my work email and unfortunately I got an invite to the meeting and My Severance Package was emailed to me this morning.

Gotta love the practice of maximizing profits for shareholders over patient care, but that’s healthcare now a days 

Ugh, sorry.  What a wonderfully impersonal way of handling things. Group layoffs...

And yeah.. maximizing profits for shareholders.. short term gain because they can always put their money elsewhere... it's a bad system made worse when the economy is bad.

On 4/20/2024 at 2:13 PM, kas23 said:

People want to point their fingers at Big Pharma and how can they profit off of people’s misery and they are the cause of our ballooning health care costs, but they are nothing compared to what is going on with large hospital networks. Pharma makes it no secret they want to profit and have no direct say in people’s medical care. But, now we have hospitals whose very existence is to make a profit. They may call themselves a non-profit, but the people running them are laser focused on making money.

Private practices are becoming a relic with most of them are being bought up by very large hospital networks. This poses 2 issues. The physicians are no longer their own boss and medical decisions are now made to maximize profit. Physicians themselves will never go along with this model, so as a result, are being forced to double/triple book patients or being laid off. And it’s definitely not due to a lack of demand. Now with private equity becoming more involved with healthcare, this is only going to worsen. 

As the CFO of the hospital system I used to work for often said, "Not for profit does not mean not for revenue."  They aren't so much making money but finding ways to fund lots of other things, not all of the necessary or worth the cost.

21 hours ago, Brawndo said:

US everything it would seem.  Same situation as our vet.  We did finally learn that while the "owner" vet who has had his name on the business for a long time still has his name on it. It's corporate run explaining every change we've experienced over the past two years. All the other vets left and just the office staff as largely remained unchanged.

I am glad I do not have to spend much time in the US healthcare system and this just confirms it even more.  Unfortunate.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Oof. I just read this. 😕

• Like (+1) 1