Columbus Game Aftermath: Did the Sabres Fans save Granato and maybe the Season?

Pimlach

41 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Let me stir up some unnecessary controversy.  The Rangers are worried that Mike Peca will leave for a head coaching position this coming off-season.

Are they really worried?   He has 1 year of experience as an assistant coach in the NHL.  Two years as an assistant coach in the AHL.  One year as a developmental coach for Washington.    Prior to that, two years as a the Junior Sabres HC in the OJHL, followed by some GM/FO work.   

Seems more like they would be happy for him.  

If this is true then maybe Buffalo will be looking at him?   It would be just like them to take Peca over Berube or Gallant.  It fits the pattern.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Are they really worried?   He has 1 year of experience as an assistant coach in the NHL.  Two years as an assistant coach in the AHL.  One year as a developmental coach for Washington.    Prior to that, two years as a the Junior Sabres HC in the OJHL, followed by some GM/FO work.   

If this is true then maybe Buffalo will be looking at him?   It would be just like them to take Peca over Berube or Gallant.  It fits the pattern.  

Or maybe he’s looking for a starter head coach job in juniors or the AHL. 

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Terry probably knows 'im.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Terry probably knows 'im.

Translates to:  he met him a few times and liked him.  

I do think Michael can be a good coach in the NHL someday.  Working for Peter Laviolette was a very good move for him.  

On 12/22/2023 at 11:52 AM, Pimlach said:

Did anyone notice the tone of the Leaves Game post game interviews?  

Start with Granato.  You could see and feel the distance between he and the media.  He looked hurt, pensive to say too much, and maybe he even showed a little chip on his shoulder.  

All the interviewed players mentioned the Columbus game and the "fire Donny" chant.  Dahlin had the most pointed comments.  It is almost as if he, and these younger guys, do not realize that they are a reflection of the coaches.  When they are continually bad it is the coaches that most often pay the price.  

Two things strike me about this:

1.  These young guys are still extremely naïve.  How can this be a surprise to them?  There have already been 4 coaches fired this season, including a recent Cup winner.  

2.  The lack of veteran leadership in Buffalo is, and has been, a really big problem.  Bringing in new vets is not a guaranteed  fix to leadership because they are not invested (Stahl and Hall is a classic example).  

It is now incumbent on the Core to grow up right now and to start providing that leadership.  That means Dahlin, Thompson, and Tuch.  Having elder vets like KO and Zemgus around is not enough.  This team belongs to Dahlin, Thompson, and Tuch.  They need to get on the players that are not working and push them, and they need to set the example for hard work all the time.  The players need to raise their standards themselves.   This coaching staff is not going to do it.  Adams is not going to do it.  The team belongs to the Core that is just entering its prime.  Do they want to be great?  

The Fire Donny chant may be what the team needed.  Interesting is that it took the fans to do it.  I was at the famous "Thank You Sabres" game - which was the opposite message and the start of a really good run for the franchise.  It was like our expansion team of misfits had just turned into a legit NHL club and the fans let them know it. 

It appears we may have come full circle, hopefully heading to the good.  I can only hope. 

It will be interesting to see if the team wakes up and for how long.  What are your thoughts Sabre Spacers? 

Ok Teammates,

After the CBJ and Leaves games, both home games, I was hopeful that the Sabres would straighten out their game.  I was hopeful that the comments the players made about the "fire Donny" chants would stick.  I was hopeful that the young core would take over and grow.  

Since that time they played on the road versus the Rangers and managed to get a tie in regulation before losing in OT.  It was another game were they fell behind and despite the comeback, they did not get it done.  They had chances to win, but in the OT goaltending was the difference.  This result was disappointing because the Ranger were on a back to back.  

Next was a Christmas break.  Time to heal, re-group, practice, fix things, and get ready for a difficult push for the playoffs - the stated goal for 2023-24.  

First game back at home versus Boston.  The game was not as close at the score indicates.  The same problems were there:  another slow start; a terrible power play - which boosted the level of the opponents play;  a bad PK - which started good this season and is now bad. 

The "best players" are still not getting it done - Dahlin had what I thought was his worst game of the season.  Tuch and Skinner were bad.  Tage Thompson was out for personal issues and he is not the same player this year.  Injuries, a slow start, maybe other things too?    

Granato has done a nice job developing players, but his message and his system are no longer working.  The league catches up with you, you have to have more.   Donny looks like a one trick pony in the NHL.   He added defense to his system (I really hate saying that but I am repeating him), and now everything is worse.  They no longer do what they they are good at offensively, and the defense has slipped to last years levels anyway.  

I doubt the Leaves game was the meaningful sign post that I was hoping for.  This looks like a year were almost everything goes wrong, injuries, and player slumps.   All the signs point to a coaching change right now.  I have a lot more to say about that, but for another day. 

I think the next 4 games are critical for DG. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Ok Teammates,

After the CBJ and Leaves games, both home games, I was hopeful that the Sabres would straighten out their game.  I was hopeful that the comments the players made about the "fire Donny" chants would stick.  I was hopeful that the young core would take over and grow.  

Since that time they played on the road versus the Rangers and managed to get a tie in regulation before losing in OT.  It was another game were they fell behind and despite the comeback, they did not get it done.  They had chances to win, but in the OT goaltending was the difference.  This result was disappointing because the Ranger were on a back to back.  

Next was a Christmas break.  Time to heal, re-group, practice, fix things, and get ready for a difficult push for the playoffs - the stated goal for 2023-24.  

First game back at home versus Boston.  The game was not as close at the score indicates.  The same problems were there:  another slow start; a terrible power play - which boosted the level of the opponents play;  a bad PK - which started good this season and is now bad. 

The "best players" are still not getting it done - Dahlin had what I thought was his worst game of the season.  Tuch and Skinner were bad.  Tage Thompson was out for personal issues and he is not the same player this year.  Injuries, a slow start, maybe other things too?    

Granato has done a nice job developing players, but his message and his system are no longer working.  The league catches up with you, you have to have more.   Donny looks like a one trick pony in the NHL.   He added defense to his system (I really hate saying that but I am repeating him), and now everything is worse.  They no longer do what they they are good at offensively, and the defense has slipped to last years levels anyway.  

I doubt the Leaves game was the meaningful sign post that I was hoping for.  This looks like a year were almost everything goes wrong, injuries, and player slumps.   All the signs point to a coaching change right now.  I have a lot more to say about that, but for another day. 

I think the next 4 games are critical for DG. 

Agree with a lot of this, but with one minor correction.  The league was shutdown for Christmas which meant no player movement, no scheduled travel, and no games nor practices.  So, they weren't able to be working on stuff until yesterday morning and according to the TNT guys they spent a lot of time working the PP with (not surprisingly) Thompson as the focus.

Let's see if they sack up against the BJs and then follow that up with an angry game in Otterland.  Hey, tis the time of year for miracles, right?

Still waiting for a belated Christmas present in a well worn Bob Woods being found over behind the desk by the tree.  Not expecting it, but it would change so much.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

Agree with a lot of this, but with one minor correction.  The league was shutdown for Christmas which meant no player movement, no scheduled travel, and no games nor practices.  So, they weren't able to be working on stuff until yesterday morning and according to the TNT guys they spent a lot of time working the PP with (not surprisingly) Thompson as the focus.

Let's see if they sack up against the BJs and then follow that up with an angry game in Otterland.  Hey, tis the time of year for miracles, right?

Still waiting for a belated Christmas present in a well worn Bob Woods being found over behind the desk by the tree.  Not expecting it, but it would change so much.

Thanks for the correction.  I should have known that.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/22/2023 at 1:10 PM, PickaPecaPickles said:

How many times have they followed up an embarrassing loss with a big win or vice versa?  Closing out 2023 will show us if it’s talk or walk—Rangers and Bruins, followed by CBJ and Sens. 

1 of 4 from the first two, then 2 of 4 with a comeback win against CBJ, but a stinker against the Sens.  I think that last game shows who they are, a team with a lot of skilled players, but very few who play NHL-style hockey.  They look good in run-and-gun WHL-style games, but play rough with them, they simply don't have the players to "take a stand" against that style of play.  Ottawa's players certainly know this, and Cozens or Tuch certainly aren't going to try it again. The team is a reflection of the GM (and coach). 

Ps. Can't wait for the next video Sabres PR posts with the pretty boys in their suits walking into the arena.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.