Sabres Practice Dec 8, 2023

LGR4GM

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm wondering if you mean offensively, scoring, or in his complete game? I was referring to the latter, while I know many of the Quinn fans here are looking primarily at his point total. Peterka last year showed me signs of grit and fortitude, determination, drive, and even a little 2 way ability. All of that matters to me and is why I had him above Quinn and still do. Was Quinn a better complete player in your opinion? 

It's quite possible Quinn will put up bigger scoring numbers than Peterka in the future, but I'm not convinced he will be a better hockey player. 

I was referring to Quinn's complete game.  I agree that JJP is more powerful and I think he may end up scoring more pts (and probably will end up scoring more goals), but I think Quinn has a higher hockey IQ and, last year, played a better 200-foot game than JJP. 

To be clear, I really like both of them and think they will both have really good careers.  I also think they can complement each other well as linemates, although it will be Quinn who more often figures out, on the fly, how to get more out of his linemates than JJP will.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I was referring to Quinn's complete game.  I agree that JJP is more powerful and I think he may end up scoring more pts (and probably will end up scoring more goals), but I think Quinn has a higher hockey IQ and, last year, played a better 200-foot game than JJP. 

To be clear, I really like both of them and think they will both have really good careers.  I also think they can complement each other well as linemates, although it will be Quinn who more often figures out, on the fly, how to get more out of his linemates than JJP will.

JJP’s confidence from the World Championships and some added strength has taken him up a notch. I forget which game a few weeks ago but he was clocked as the fastest skater for either team.

Quinn was willing to engage last year but knocked off the puck a lot. His injury kept him from doing a lot of exercise but he was probably able to get stronger. He plays a smart game and I am impressed with his ability to create space and set up teammates, he was primarily a shooter in junior.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

JJP plays a much more straightforward hockey game than Quinn. The “we need to simplify our game” cliche isn’t an issue for Peterka. It’s not a knock against him at all. He is just wired that way. I don’t know how else to describe it. He plays a direct game.

I think JJP is a better player currently, but with a lower ceiling than Quinn, and I recognize fully that this is about as subjective a comparison as one can get. Peterka plays a mature game for his age which is why I give him the edge.

Peterka’s problem last season was managing his pace of play over an 82 game schedule which is why he was streakier than Quinn and cooled off. In 77 games he had 27 even strength points compared to 31 in 75 for Quinn. Quinn had 7 power play points to Peterka’s 5. They had essentially the same TOI.

Statistically, the differences last season weren’t huge. They had similar expected goals (even the same .76 xGF per 60 for 5v5). Quinn was more physical, but Peterka had fewer giveaways. Quinn draws more penalties and Peterka takes more. Peterka attempted fewer shots. They had identical Corsi and Fenwick scores. When we talk 5v5 xGF%, Quinn is better, but we can literally account for that due to JJP and VO playing 53 minutes with Krebs and 60 minutes with Cozens. Like everyone else who had VO as a line mate that season, his stats took a hit. Quinn never played with VO. When you adjust for VO, they were essentially the same on the stat sheet.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Jorcus said:

I guess I have always been more of a Peterka fan. It's the case of this 2 guys come into together and one is a higher draft pick, that starts like gangbusters in the AHL then things go kind of side ways due to illness and Injury and the number 2 keeps growing and getting better. Peterka was a terror in the 21-22 AHL playoffs while for whatever reason Quinn was floundering around. The only goal he scored was against his own team. Then they both come up and the Cozens, Quinn, Peterka line clicks for a fast hard to handle second line. Quinn was given more opportunities than Peterka, Peterka was viewed as the the 2nd guy again mostly racing for pucks and trying to feed the others. Last year Peterka did have a habit of not having his stick on the ice when around the net or hesitating on the shot. Those habits are gone. When in attack mode puck on stick then off stick. If he is open he shoots. He has also gotten a lot stronger over the summer. 

I am not trashing Quinn but I have felt for a long time that Peterka has played equal or better. Quinn's return will be interesting. We all hope he goes on an improving path but I would not start him on the second line at the moment. Let him earn his way back up there. 

To the bold, while I didn't and generally don't follow the AHL this speaks to what I was talking about. Stats people and some of the younger fans don't understand or respect some of the subtle character and determination aspects you can see with the eye test even when a player makes mistakes or fails to score (didn't have his stick on the ice maybe like you say) and you can see the work ethic and the effort at key moments. These things matter a lot and are aspects far too often missing with recent Sabres players. 

idk what Quinn will be but I am becoming confidant that Peterka will be a consistent and reliable performer for years to come. Probably a regular 20+ goal scorer and a 30+ if he has a good/lucky year. On a very good team he'd be a stalwart 3rd liner. On a competitive average team a solid 2nd liner. He will be a player who makes few mistakes, gives a consistent effort, is sometimes not noticed as much as he should be, but will be able to be relied on in good times and bad. I think he has what it takes to be a solid 2 way NHL player. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

To the bold, while I didn't and generally don't follow the AHL this speaks to what I was talking about. Stats people and some of the younger fans don't understand or respect some of the subtle character and determination aspects you can see with the eye test even when a player makes mistakes or fails to score (didn't have his stick on the ice maybe like you say) and you can see the work ethic and the effort at key moments. These things matter a lot and are aspects far too often missing with recent Sabres players. 

idk what Quinn will be but I am becoming confidant that Peterka will be a consistent and reliable performer for years to come. Probably a regular 20+ goal scorer and a 30+ if he has a good/lucky year. On a very good team he'd be a stalwart 3rd liner. On a competitive average team a solid 2nd liner. He will be a player who makes few mistakes, gives a consistent effort, is sometimes not noticed as much as he should be, but will be able to be relied on in good times and bad. I think he has what it takes to be a solid 2 way NHL player. 

Assuming availability with regards to injury is equal, , Quinn will be better but they are extremely fortunate to have both.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.