You’re a free agent with 31 identical offers, which 5 teams do you negotiate with?

Porous Five Hole

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Thanks for your knowledgeable response. I agree with you that other considerations such as the issue of opportunity to play and best situation from a variety of standpoints override the money issue.

Athletic did a good piece on this:

https://theathletic.com/4747247/2023/08/09/nhl-commit-team-decision-player-contract/

Star players know they'll get paid buckets, so things they tend to care about more:

• Lifestyle and privacy: Is this going to be a good place for their family to live in the foreseeable future?
  • Legacy and the chance of winning a Stanley Cup:
  • What is their fit and their role?
  • Ownership., culture and franchise health
  • Proximity to family

Those things all apply to everyone, but salary plays more of a role for the middle class.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1. Vegas. )As Porous said, I love the city and am also a degen!!!)

2. Colorado. (I love nature and winter)

3. Seattle. (Wouldn't mind being a fish monger in the off-season.)

4. Minnesota. (See Colorado)

5. Edmonton. (See Colorado)

Edited by Claude Balls

7 hours ago, SwampD said:

Montreal, Vancouver, Minnesota, Seattle, Chicago.

Citing taxes is hilarious to me.

Not sure why that is hilarious. Do you think players don't take this into consideration? Some states are better than others. If you can find the perfect combo if stretching the dollar and playing for a great franchise - why wouldn't you do that? 

1 minute ago, oddoublee said:

Not sure why that is hilarious. Do you think players don't take this into consideration? Some states are better than others. If you can find the perfect combo if stretching the dollar and playing for a great franchise - why wouldn't you do that? 

I do not, nor have I ever cared about taxes. They just don't matter. I find people who whinge and moan about taxes annoying and a waste of my time.

We have never heard of a player say he chose to not go to the Rangers because he had to pay city tax as well as a higher state tax, ever.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

Athletic did a good piece on this:

https://theathletic.com/4747247/2023/08/09/nhl-commit-team-decision-player-contract/

Star players know they'll get paid buckets, so things they tend to care about more:

• Lifestyle and privacy: Is this going to be a good place for their family to live in the foreseeable future?
  • Legacy and the chance of winning a Stanley Cup:
  • What is their fit and their role?
  • Ownership., culture and franchise health
  • Proximity to family

Those things all apply to everyone, but salary plays more of a role for the middle class.

Responding to your last bullet point, Buffalo's location should be an attractive consideration for players because so many of them come from the Toronto and southern Ontario area. As an example, Power's family can attend all his home games. 

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Responding to your last bullet point, Buffalo's location should be an attractive consideration for players because so many of them come from the Toronto and southern Ontario area. As an example, Power's family can attend all his home games. 

It used to be until the franchise fell into disarray.  

Winning first, then playing for a  supportive and effective organization - that is the top criteria. 

After that, how a player fits into the area.  A player that is a party animal might want a bigger playground.  

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Winning first, then playing for a  supportive and effective organization - that is the top criteria. 

After that, how a player fits into the area.  A player that is a party animal might want a bigger playground.  

I agree with you that the extended period of mediocrity turned off a lot of players looking for another destination. I'm sure that perception has changed to a more positive view now. As you point out no one area is going to be attractive to every player. Some younger players might prefer living in the NY or LA area. The older and more family oriented players might prefer medium towns such as Buffalo, Columbus, Detroit, Carolina etc. Some players would embrace being coached by a hard-arses such as Torts. While others couldn't tolerate that type of oppressive disciplinarian. As the saying goes: Different strokes for different floks. 

21 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

As our threads have shown, preferences are different as individuals.

Control the factors you can: being a good organization that treats people the right way and has a chance to win and you will have a good chance of competing for those players who appreciate what your city offers.

Sabres have leveraged Granato and Okposo and focused on young players who put hockey first and brainwashing them about the Sabres and Buffalo, which seems a sound strategy.

Edited by dudacek
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, SwampD said:

I do not, nor have I ever cared about taxes. They just don't matter. I find people who whinge and moan about taxes annoying and a waste of my time.

We have never heard of a player say he chose to not go to the Rangers because he had to pay city tax as well as a higher state tax, ever.

I do care. Taxes are important to maintain what we have - but the less I have to pay, the better. But I suppose because in with all the personal conversations you have had with players, and none of them mentioning it to you - then they probably don't care. I'm just a whiner, and You are the man!

44 minutes ago, oddoublee said:

I do care. Taxes are important to maintain what we have - but the less I have to pay, the better. But I suppose because in with all the personal conversations you have had with players, and none of them mentioning it to you - then they probably don't care. I'm just a whiner, and You are the man!

Yes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.