vet forward to fill in until Quinn returns

sweetlou

Looking at the remainig UFA's there seems to be a few that could start the season and give Buffalo a different look than just rolling with Olofsson again.   I would only be giving a one year contract as I don't need anyone with term with all the young guys coming up.

Nick Richie would be nice on the third line with Greenway.

Tomas Tatar could flank Cozens and JJP.

Would you take a waiver on Puljujuarvi to play alongside Cozens?

You could try Suter at 3rd line center and move Mitts to play with Cozens and JJP.

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Tatar would be an excellent signing

I like this idea but I don't know why the Sabres need a vet to fill the spot of a non-vet.  It's ok to give the other thirty-four kids a shot.  It's forward.  The Sabres are so well-stocked with prospects there right now that we fans are spoiled.

The money is more wisely spent on the blueline or in goal.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I like this idea but I don't know why the Sabres need a vet to fill the spot of a non-vet.  It's ok to give the other thirty-four kids a shot.  It's forward.  The Sabres are so well-stocked with prospects there right now that we fans are spoiled.

Tatar will play 2RW and seamlessly slot down to be a more appealing 3rd line option when Quinn gets back

It's about the hockey, not the age of the player

I'm not interested in putting a kid I've never seen before at 2RW, that's an important spot

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Because Quinn WAS a vet this season, at least relative to a rookie and the production we can reasonably expect from said 

20 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Outside of the issue of D and goal….

I want no part of a rookie replacing Quinn long term when playoffs are the goal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

No he wasn't.  And the system is foaming with similar guys.

Well I mean dude, technically Quinn is officially designated as a Veteran, now

You think the system is ready to pump out a player, for this season, who is likely to match what Quinn was to amount to, this season?

40 point pace last year for Quinn? What do we feel Adams was reasonably penciling in for this year? 50 points, and a reasonably likely extension to his growing 2-way game? 

Can Savoie step in and provide 50 points this year and a good two way game? 

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

Outside of the issue of D and goal….

I want no part of a rookie replacing Quinn long term when playoffs are the goal.

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Well I mean dude, technically Quinn is officially designated as a Veteran, now

You think the system is ready to pump out a player, for this season, who is likely to match what Quinn was to amount to, this season?

He was a rookie last season, no?  (Or do you count his whopping 2 games in 2021-22?)  And he's hardly a vet!  If you think one of the guys in the pipeline can't fill his skates, that can only mean that the Sabres drafted poorly.  

Just now, Eleven said:

He was a rookie last season, no?  (Or do you count his whopping 2 games in 2021-22?)  And he's hardly a vet!  If you think one of the guys in the pipeline can't fill his skates, that can only mean that the Sabres drafted poorly.  

It ain’t 22-23 anymore buddy

Times have changed 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

40 point pace last year for Quinn? What do we feel Adams was reasonably penciling in for this year? 50 points, and a reasonably likely extension to his growing 2-way game? 

Can Savoie step in and provide 50 points this year and a good two way game? 

Or any number of the other kids who are "untradeable"...

Just now, Thorny said:

It ain’t 22-23 anymore buddy

Times have changed 

Yeah, we've really moved on.  It's a new era. 

Just now, Eleven said:

Or any number of the other kids who are "untradeable"...

I’m fine with you thinking this but if Adams thinks it, while I want no part of meeting his barber I’d certainly appreciate an introduction to his dealer 

I’d would much rather go with an unproven guy in the system already than a proven JAG like Nick Ritchie or Jesse Puljujarvi.

Kulich or Savoie could be like Peterka was last year: good enough to play and develop, not good enough to make a difference.

Tatar or Suter on a 1-year deal make a ton of sense to me.

• Agree 3

You get tartar sauce with your Friday Buffalo fish fry.  Or you can order your burger rare.  That is as close as you get to Tatar.  

Savioe, Kulich, or Rousek - that is who will get a benefit from Quinn’s ice 

Edited by Pimlach

58 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I’m fine with you thinking this but if Adams thinks it, while I want no part of meeting his barber I’d certainly appreciate an introduction to his dealer 

It was a reference to SabreSapace groupthink.  And Quinn is not a veteran, sorry.

Just now, Eleven said:

It was a reference to SabreSapace groupthink.  And Quinn is not a veteran, sorry.

I love a semantic discussion as much as anyone but truthfully his designation is besides the point obv. I think it’s probably fair to say it’s unlikely a rookie can contribute to record what Quinn likely would have. 

Just now, dudacek said:

This is what a team that believes in its depth would do

This seems extreme. There’s definitely a middle ground where you believe in your depth but still think it’s ok to replace a guy externally when the in house option is very unlikely to provide the same value. 

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

This is what a team that believes in its depth would do.

We're also forgetting we added a vet forward already. Greenway. 

Just now, Thorny said:

This seems extreme. There’s definitely a middle ground where you believe in your depth but still think it’s ok to replace a guy externally when the in house option is very unlikely to provide the same value. 

I see no reason why Mitts won't produce the same value. 

• Agree 3

That’s what a team that believes in its depth and is naturally very conservative, would do. I think is more accurate 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

We're also forgetting we added a vet forward already. Greenway. 

I see no reason why Mitts won't produce the same value. 

He was on the team last year! Lol

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

That’s what a team that believes in its depth and is naturally very conservative, would do. I think is more accurate 

He was on the team last year! Lol

And? 

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch

Peterka - Cozens - Mitts

Greenway - Krebs - Olofsson or Rousek

Zemgus - Jost - Okposo 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

And? 

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch

Peterka - Cozens - Mitts

Greenway - Krebs - Olofsson or Rousek

Zemgus - Jost - Okposo 

I don’t really understand what the slant is here - the net is Quinn, out, Rousek/Olofsson, in

I know it doesn’t need to be a rookie but I was actively discussing with someone talking about it being a rookie to replace him. Which Rousek Is suppose is 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.