The Hockey Writers: Sabres' top five draft steals

Eleven

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

https://thehockeywriters.com/buffalo-sabres-best-draft-steals/

I'm seeing this publication increasingly on my iPhone news feed.  It's not bad; has work to do.  But this is kind of a fun piece and a good stimulus for offseason talk.

Figured it was Mogilny and then Miller; not exactly surprised it was flipped.

3 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

If Ruuttu is on the list, then it's a bad list. We must have drafted badly 

Don't know about that.  He was a very good C but was behind HoFers LaFontaine & Hawerchuck.  He and a 1st also turned into Dominik Hasek.  (Don't care what the "official trade" stats state.  The Sabres gave up Ruutuu and the pick that turned into Daze.  Beauregard was neverr really a Sabre and went back to Winnipeg as soon as the expansion draft was done.)

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Don't know about that.  He was a very good C but was behind HoFers LaFontaine & Hawerchuck.  He and a 1st also turned into Dominik Hasek.  (Don't care what the "official trade" stats state.  The Sabres gave up Ruutuu and the pick that turned into Daze.  Beauregard was neverr really a Sabre and went back to Winnipeg as soon as the expansion draft was done.)

He wasn't that good. The fact he is on the list says a  lot about the fact the Sabres have not exactly turned much water into wine with late round draft picks. 

I'd be interested to see other teams lists of top five draft steals 

23 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

He wasn't that good. The fact he is on the list says a  lot about the fact the Sabres have not exactly turned much water into wine with late round draft picks. 

I'd be interested to see other teams lists of top five draft steals 

image.png.33d651323b29b315eed665b173874d5e.png

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why isn’t Don Edwards on the list? If Ruuttu is on the list he should be 5th and Soupy 3rd.  Donny played 307 games as a Sabre over 6 years won a Vezina and was a 2x all-star.  He’d be 4th on my list over both Audette and Ruuttu. 

Great catch.  

Victor Olofsson was a 7th round steal. I wish we could hang onto him. Snipers like him don't grow on trees. Kind of reminds me of Alex Kotalik, a sniper who was a 6th round steal...NHL Career 542g 136 goals, 148 assists 284 pts. Victor could end up with Kotalik like numbers by the end of his career.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.