Is HC Don Granato the right man for the job?

GoPuckYourself

13 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Well, here is the 'problem' or at least the nature of social media/message boards:

There are some people who don't like Granato. There are some people that do like Granato.  After a winning streak, the ones who like Granato will make their voices heard. After a losing streak or a bad loss, those who don't like his as coach have their time to speak.  Its the nature of things.

The same behavior happens on the Bills forum or talk radio.  When the team wins a game by passing the ball all over, people say its great they play like that. When they lose, people complain "they need to run more!"   The common complaint is that people will complain no matter what they do. That isnt exactly true. You aren't hearing people complain 'no matter what', what you are doing is hearing DIFFERENT people complaining based on the most recent events of the team.

If/when the Sabres go on a 3-4 game winning streak, I highly doubt there will be a lot of complaining about Granato as coach. If/when they lose 3-4 in a row there will be calls that he isn't the guy.  Its not so much people changing their mind...it is just the same 'different people' capitilizing in the situation to make their point.

This sounds just like how the board feels about UPL. 

Tonight's game will show a lot towards whether or not they will be pushing for a playoff spot.  I see a lot of upside in the offensive side of the game, but they still have to be better away from the puck and I agree w/ what a lot of people are saying we could use an upgrade at 3C/4C.  Someone who plays a more thorough two way game.  Think Cizikas but not as ancient.  

19 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Well, here is the 'problem' or at least the nature of social media/message boards:

There are some people who don't like Granato. There are some people that do like Granato.  After a winning streak, the ones who like Granato will make their voices heard. After a losing streak or a bad loss, those who don't like his as coach have their time to speak.  Its the nature of things.

The same behavior happens on the Bills forum or talk radio.  When the team wins a game by passing the ball all over, people say its great they play like that. When they lose, people complain "they need to run more!"   The common complaint is that people will complain no matter what they do. That isnt exactly true. You aren't hearing people complain 'no matter what', what you are doing is hearing DIFFERENT people complaining based on the most recent events of the team.

If/when the Sabres go on a 3-4 game winning streak, I highly doubt there will be a lot of complaining about Granato as coach. If/when they lose 3-4 in a row there will be calls that he isn't the guy.  Its not so much people changing their mind...it is just the same 'different people' capitilizing in the situation to make their point.

Anyone in 2023 claiming an NFL team needs to run more is wrong.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Anyone in 2023 claiming an NFL team needs to run more is wrong.

But yet it still happens. Go to the Bills forum and you can find it....but listen to talk radio a day or two after a loss you you get a lot of "I'm Joe from Kenmore and I've been a Season ticket older since 1978, this team will never win a championship until they get tougher and run the ball more!"

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

So far, I would lean yes. I do know however, he isn't the reason for having garbage totes as goaltenders. I want to see this team with a true #1 in goal. I bet the Sabres are 8-12 pts better, and likely a wildcard, with a real goalie. 

As of now, the Sabres 5v5 save percentage is .907.  The league "median" is .918.  If by good you mean 'top10', tenth is .922.

Now I understand a lot goes into save percentage beyond the number. I think the Sabres goalies should get a LITTLE slack because this team tend to give up a lot of odd man rushes and good chances compared to some 'lock it down teams.'

With that said, lets say the Sabres 5v5 save percentage was .920 instead of .907.  That would mean they would have allowed 25 less goals this year. (maybe more, close to 30 if that good goaltending carried over to the PP also).  I'm guessing 25 less goals allowed would get their team +/- into the positive mid-30s....teams at that level now are in the low 70s in points.

I know, VERY unscientific and a lot of variables there. But if the Sabres goalies had an 'above average' save percentage, some very basic numbers would imply they would comfortably be in the first wild card slot, but likely still behind the top 3 in the division.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

I dont know how anyone is saying hes the right man. 

There hasn't been any success yet to determine he is .

am i missing something. 

The other side of the coin, is how can anyone say he is the wrong guy for the job?

The team that he acquired was supposed to -easily- be the last place team in the NHL.  Look where they are now - competing for a playoff with basically the same players.  Players are developing, you've seen the improvements in play for literally every single player on that roster that he acquired.  Thompson, Dahlin, Tuch, Skinner, Krebs, and the list goes on.  Even Mitts is starting to look like an NHL caliber player. 

Year over year they are developing, and thats really all you can ask of a coach with a group that is this young/inexperienced. 

The man deserves the chance to see this through and he is the guy until he proves he ISNT the guy.  It would take a colossal failure for him to not be the guy (i.e. defensive woes aren't shored up next year and they miss the playoffs)

Edited by Ctaeth
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.