The Game needs a name

PASabreFan

This instant classic needs an instant name.

The Comeback?

The Ottawa Game?

The Miracle in Ottawa?

Missed extra point. (Double entendre - covers Otters' missed chance with the open net and the fact that Buffalo beat the Otters by a 7-6 score.)

IMHO, "miracle" implies that it was a gift from above, ie that we didn't earn it. We earned that win tonight in spades.

I vote for: "7-6"

runner up: "the Ottawa game"

yes, I'm a simple man.

I also like GregKash's suggestion of "the shootout" although there is a bit too much kevin sylvester in that one.

Speaking of nicknames, I'd be OK with calling Connolly the magic man.

How am I going to fall asleep after that game?

We are going to win this series.

IMHO, "miracle" implies that it was a gift from above, ie that we didn't earn it. We earned that win tonight in spades.

I vote for: "7-6"

runner up: "the Ottawa game"

yes, I'm a simple man.

I also like GregKash's suggestion of "the shootout" although there is a bit too much kevin sylvester in that one.

Speaking of nicknames, I'd be OK with calling Connolly the magic man.

How am I going to fall asleep after that game?

We are going to win this series.

Only 2 options, beer or sex. And it might take a lot of either or both!

I dont think Miracle is appropriate.. it's not really a "The Comeback" quality. "The Ottawa Game" is kinda vague, cuz we have that Derek Plante Overtime goal in Game 7.

I really think we need to call it the Shootout... cuz thats what it was. a Shootout.

or we can call it, "A game no goalie ever wants to hear about again"

If we win the Stanley Cup, we could probably go back to this game and give it a name...if we don't win the series, it'll barely be memorable in 5 years. I'm not saying it wasn't thrilling or exciting, but you have to put in more of a perspective.

Didn't Buffalo win a series opener in Ottawa on the road back in the day, like, say, 1999? Wasn't it in double or triple overtime? The Sabres ended up two wins from the Cup that year, and that game doesn't have a name.

Maybe this one was more exciting (Buffalo had their whooped in that one and Hasek held em in until Satan scored), but it's only marginally more meaningful unless the Sabres do something the '99 team didn't....

If we win the Stanley Cup, we could probably go back to this game and give it a name...if we don't win the series, it'll barely be memorable in 5 years. I'm not saying it wasn't thrilling or exciting, but you have to put in more of a perspective.

Didn't Buffalo win a series opener in Ottawa on the road back in the day, like, say, 1999? Wasn't it in double or triple overtime? The Sabres ended up two wins from the Cup that year, and that game doesn't have a name.

Maybe this one was more exciting (Buffalo had their whooped in that one and Hasek held em in until Satan scored), but it's only marginally more meaningful unless the Sabres do something the '99 team didn't....

Disagreed, win or lose, this game will be historic for a long time. You just don't forget a effort like that in a short time. They are making all of us proud, sure they might lose, even this round, but this victory and this game, will be remembered for a long time.

Game 2 was in 2OT. Game 1 was a regulation victory, but Hasek STOLE that game and created the legend of Alexei Yashin as a playoff choker.

The LA Kings have only played for the SC one time ever, but ask a Kings fan about the "Miracle on Manchester" and they will be able to tell you all of the details, even though it happened 10 years prior to the Cup run.

Games like this don't require SC runs to be classics. The SC run just makes them legendary. Although, should Buffalo win the SC, I think I will remember the game that Chris / Danny each grab 1 side of it from Gary far more than this INCREDIBLE game, even if it ends up a 4-1 boring 60 minutes.

"7-6" is growing on me, but I bet "The Ottawa Game" takes over, in due time.

Having slept on it, though, I think killjoy BringBackSanderson is probably right. It does depend a lot on what happens from here on out. Any comparison to Game 2 in Ottawa in 99 is off the mark, however. This one will be remembered far longer. Heck, most people have forgotten THAT one already.

It really depends how you frame it. PTR's question is whether this was the "greatest" game ever. Greatest to me implies importance or high quality. I'm not sure this was even the greatest game of the playoffs for Buffalo. Game 1 against Philly was a doozy. Last night was pond hockey. Winning a berth in the finals or winning ANY game in the finals would have to be considered a greater game, even if it lacked the fireworks and sheer drama of Game 1.

But if you're asking about the most exciting or thrilling or memorable Sabre game ever, it's right up there. It immediately takes its place, and rightly so.

How About:

The Game where Zedno Chara stopped skating with 14 seconds left in the game and let the Sabres get the puck and pass it in front of the net to tie the game up at 6 while the boys at CBC had the 3 Stars already picked out but they were wrong because the Buffalo Sabres tied the game and sent it to Overtime where Mike Grier fed a pass to Chris Drury who shot the puck and it went past Ray Emery to win the Game for the Buffalo Sabres giving us a 1 game to none lead over the Ottawa Senators

:D

Archived