Sadness to report

rjones71

20 hours ago, JujuFish said:

First things first: I'm sorry for your loss.

Second: I've lost both my brother and my mother since 2016 and have never once thought of asking for money from people, here or elsewhere.  It just rubs me completely the wrong way.

18 hours ago, JujuFish said:

It's your right to continue to take monetary advantage of an awful situation.  Doesn't make it any less scummy.

Geez man - Your idea of what time it is appropriate to share an opinion is terrible.    

Edited by GoPre
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, GoPre said:

Geez man - Your idea of what time it is appropriate to share an opinion is terrible.    

Already had that guy on ignore but noticed it in your quote. 
Totally agree with your sentiment.

If I say any more mods will remove my comment like they did last time I addressed this guy.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GoPre said:

I have a bad habit of saying something when I feel like there's something that needs to be said, and I can be painfully unaware of social cues at times

As for Sakman, I don't even remember ever interacting with them and, honestly, that is the first person I've ever known to put me on ignore on any message board, so I feel kind of honored.

On 8/26/2022 at 3:49 PM, JujuFish said:

It's your right to continue to take monetary advantage of an awful situation.  Doesn't make it any less scummy.

I buried both of my parents within a nine month span, 2016/2017.

$40G total and they had some pre-planning AND it involved cremation in both cases (which is the cheapest option, which is what they wanted being the humble, reasonable people that they were in life).

I find your attitude concerning this to be distasteful. 

You once referred to me as a petulant child. This behavior is far and above. If you didn’t like the post, ignore it. 

To respond as you did is to expose your frailty.

• dislike 1

This is one of the sadest posts ever on here.

So sorry for your loss.  It's the worst thing that a parent can face.

You are not alone.  We are family here.  We share your pain.

Thoughts and prayers (5 times daily + extra at anytime ... right now) are being sent your way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Ogre said:

$40G total and they had some pre-planning AND it involved cremation in both cases (which is the cheapest option, which is what they wanted being the humble, reasonable people that they were in life).

You once referred to me as a petulant child. This behavior is far and above. If you didn’t like the post, ignore it. 

This isn't the thread for it, so I'll just say I call it like I see it.  You were being petulant and the OP is being scummy asking strangers for money.  That's my last word on this matter in this thread.  If anyone wants to discuss more, PM me.

OP- sorry for your loss, that is an incredibly sad story.

20 hours ago, Ogre said:

As a public service to anyone who may be faced with the same sad predicament, I too recently lost both my parents. Neither one had much money to their names- and in both cases, they'd rather see my brother and I with what little money they had rather than give it to a rich (and in my opinion- slimy) funeral director. We're Canadian, so maybe the costs may be different in the US.

In our case, we had them cremated through a low cost local service instead of a full fledged funeral home. It was about $3000 each. The service is very professional and comprehensive and helped us through the whole process. I would recommend them to everyone. If there's a similar service in your community don't hesitate to seek them out.

Instead of having a service in a funeral home, we rented a hall for both parents and had a celebration of life. We catered everything in ourselves. In my mom's case we really dialed it up with the food and had an open bar but still came back under $2000 for the festivities. We also had a church service for her and contributed $500 towards the parish. For my dad, we kept a closed bar as he was a proud recovered alcoholic so it was even cheaper.

For my dad, we scattered his ashes. For my mom, we buried them in a cemetery. All in, I'd say that was about $2000 with a simple flat stone.

When I go, I want my wife and kids to get the money the funeral industry would otherwise take from them. Throw a big BBQ somewhere in my honour... hopefully outside if the weather is nice. Afterwards, take the savings to go on a a trip of a lifetime somewhere and have fun in my memory.

Edited by JoeSchmoe
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.