Anyone want tickets to the Kevyn Adams shindig today?

PromoTheRobot

50 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

FYI: I gave my tickets back to the Sabres in case others wanted to attend.

Oh I see. So having some fun with the word shindig and the slogan of a brand name moisturizer is all it took to be accused of reneging on my promise to not criticize the Pegulas?! Wow! Double wow!

3 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I got an email saying that they would have select people that they are asking…

I took it as they would eventually get around to “a lot of season-ticket holders” but not everybody.

They had a Blue & Gold Insight session with Skinner and Krebs via Zoom a few weeks ago. I did that. And I said yes to the Adams thing not realizing it was live and in-person.

• 2 weeks later...

Th event was actually pretty interesting.  Adams answered questions from Duff for about 45 minutes then took Q's from the attendees for ~ half an hour more.

Will try to track my notes to give a more thorough update tomorrow, but some points that stood out were:

Adams highlighting (it was actually a recurring theme) that when evaluating a player he looks for whether the player is someone you want in a game 7 and whether he wants to be in Buffalo.

He wants any moves to make sense both ST and LT.

He would like to bring in a RHD but would also like to add a F or 2 as well & a goalie.  

Regarding the goalie, he feels they're in good shape LT but need a "bridge" guy.  He does plan to talk to Anderson after the season & if he wants to play again, he will try to bring him back.  (My impression of his comments was that he'd be OK w/ Andy & UPL if he can't find the right deal for someone better.  Hope that isn't an accurate reading.)

He's happy w/ the analytics group, but would like to add 1 development coach & 1 scout.  

Talked about how he feels 1 of his strengths is having honest conversations w/ his players & others.  If that's an accurate read, then his not being worried about the 3 big college prospects not coming out this spring is reasonable IMHO.  He told us Levi was heading back to school (not news now, but a week & a 1/2 ago it was). 

There was a lot of other stuff he covered, but want to recheck my notes to make sure the items are accurately summarized.

PS - The guy there w/ Skinner at the 1st one (the Zoom 1) was Mittelstadt, not Krebs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Th event was actually pretty interesting.  Adams answered questions from Duff for about 45 minutes then took Q's from the attendees for ~ half an hour more.

Will try to track my notes to give a more thorough update tomorrow, but some points that stood out were:

Adams highlighting (it was actually a recurring theme) that when evaluating a player he looks for whether the player is someone you want in a game 7 and whether he wants to be in Buffalo.

He wants any moves to make sense both ST and LT.

He would like to bring in a RHD but would also like to add a F or 2 as well & a goalie.  

Regarding the goalie, he feels they're in good shape LT but need a "bridge" guy.  He does plan to talk to Anderson after the season & if he wants to play again, he will try to bring him back.  (My impression of his comments was that he'd be OK w/ Andy & UPL if he can't find the right deal for someone better.  Hope that isn't an accurate reading.)

He's happy w/ the analytics group, but would like to add 1 development coach & 1 scout.  

Talked about how he feels 1 of his strengths is having honest conversations w/ his players & others.  If that's an accurate read, then his not being worried about the 3 big college prospects not coming out this spring is reasonable IMHO.  He told us Levi was heading back to school (not news now, but a week & a 1/2 ago it was). 

There was a lot of other stuff he covered, but want to recheck my notes to make sure the items are accurately summarized.

PS - The guy there w/ Skinner at the 1st one (the Zoom 1) was Mittelstadt, not Krebs.

Thanks for the update. Missed you around here.

My impression of the bold is that it’s actually good news because it means he’s actually going to try to get someone better.

Ive been concerned he’s going to be OK with that pair and not even try for an upgrade.

• Like (+1) 1

Don't have time to transcribe all my notes, but some other things mentioned (for the most part in the order they came up):

When asked about the RJ Night 2 comments stood out to me, 1. he mentioned that it gave the players a history lesson and 2. a disconnect had developed between the players & the fans and they need to get everybody back on the same page.

He also mentioned how the players really embraced both that Nashville game & the Vegas game.

He spoke about culture quite a bit.  "You have to get it right with the right people & culture and you need that before you see the results (we're looking for)."  And paraphrasing: we have to get the process of the game right then the results will come.

He says this team has that culture.  (This kid would agree.)

He talked about the maturity some of the young players are displaying. Specifically, he spoke of Dahlin pushing back against top lines and how Cozens game is maturing (and they specifically told him not to worry about goals & assists at this point - they'll come as he plays the right way).  He also spoke highly of how hard Samuelsson is to play against & how players will alter what they're doing to avoid him.  

Likes how mistakes that were being made earlier in the season have been corrected.  But they still have a long way to go.  The execution needs to be quicker.

Was really excited about the murderers row coming up on the schedule both to see where they are and because it'd force them to improve.

Their (management's) task is to figure out which guys will be the core & who will be the surrounding cast.

He spoke specifically of having some of the vets this year for their leadership:

Anderson "he's like another coach in practice;"

Pysyk,

Hinostroza,

Okposo, and

Girgensons.  "Zemgus Girgensons is one of us."  (Sorry, GA, just reporting not writing it. 😉 )

Spoke specifically how the young guys development can't be rushed - specially spoke of Power, Quinn, & Peterka.

He & his development guys were trying to let Power & the others stay focused on their moment (NCAAs, WJC, Frozen 4, etc.) But he and Terry were going to the Frozen 4.

(Remember, this event was post his knowing Levi was going back to school but prior to Portillo making his decision.)  He's very excited for both.  Spoke highly of Levi's habits and reactions since at least his mid-teens.  Portillo was Michigan's MVP per the coach.

They were going to speak to Johnson after the tourney.

Said Coach Mosko called Huglin Minnesota's MVP.

Spoke of how he didn't see a rush to get any of them out of school.

Said Krebs started in Rochester to "let him catch his breath."  And they kept him up because he was getting enough touches in Buffalo to be continuing his development.

Gave his thoughts on how to make Buffalo a "hockey destination."  A large part of it comes back to guys wanting to be in a hockey market & having no egos (goes for players & management).

He was asked if player agents were seeing Buffalo as a good place to be & told a couple of positive anecdotes.

Adams is "trying to be true to himself."  Treat people well & be honest.

Says this is a critical draft for the Sabres (well, duh 😉 ).

Looking for players that are curious (in how to get better) & that are self aware.  Singled out Power & Quinn as guys that are exemplary in both aspects. 

Wants the scouts to look for players that want to be better.  Competitive w/ a high hockey IQ.  "Always bet on the smart ones."  (Not stated by him, but Ristolainen was never meant to be long here under his admin.)

He also spoke of how he thinks late developers have higher hockey IQ's because they've had to rely on understanding the game to compete w/ guys that developed quicker. 

He isn't looking for ST make us better moves.  Has to benefit the LT as well.

He does want to add an established D-man.

Said the strength & conditioning program is individualized to each player.  And they have sports science team looking at each player each practice and each game.

Said the Sabres hadn't earned having the fans fully back on their side yet but they're working towards it.

Said Thompson moving to C was ENTIRELY on Granato.  

Said Skinner's resurgence was on Jeff & the coaches.

Was really excited after last season's exit interviews because the young guys all wanted to be here & wanted to get it right here & knew it wasn't good enough.

There were a few other things discussed, but that's the bulk of it.  Expect most of this was already out there from other interviews.  But hopefully there's something new among the various nuggets.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Don't have time to transcribe all my notes, but some other things mentioned (for the most part in the order they came up):

When asked about the RJ Night 2 comments stood out to me, 1. he mentioned that it gave the players a history lesson and 2. a disconnect had developed between the players & the fans and they need to get everybody back on the same page.

He also mentioned how the players really embraced both that Nashville game & the Vegas game.

He spoke about culture quite a bit.  "You have to get it right with the right people & culture and you need that before you see the results (we're looking for)."  And paraphrasing: we have to get the process of the game right then the results will come.

He says this team has that culture.  (This kid would agree.)

He talked about the maturity some of the young players are displaying. Specifically, he spoke of Dahlin pushing back against top lines and how Cozens game is maturing (and they specifically told him not to worry about goals & assists at this point - they'll come as he plays the right way).  He also spoke highly of how hard Samuelsson is to play against & how players will alter what they're doing to avoid him.  

Likes how mistakes that were being made earlier in the season have been corrected.  But they still have a long way to go.  The execution needs to be quicker.

Was really excited about the murderers row coming up on the schedule both to see where they are and because it'd force them to improve.

Their (management's) task is to figure out which guys will be the core & who will be the surrounding cast.

He spoke specifically of having some of the vets this year for their leadership:

Anderson "he's like another coach in practice;"

Pysyk,

Hinostroza,

Okposo, and

Girgensons.  "Zemgus Girgensons is one of us."  (Sorry, GA, just reporting not writing it. 😉 )

Spoke specifically how the young guys development can't be rushed - specially spoke of Power, Quinn, & Peterka.

He & his development guys were trying to let Power & the others stay focused on their moment (NCAAs, WJC, Frozen 4, etc.) But he and Terry were going to the Frozen 4.

(Remember, this event was post his knowing Levi was going back to school but prior to Portillo making his decision.)  He's very excited for both.  Spoke highly of Levi's habits and reactions since at least his mid-teens.  Portillo was Michigan's MVP per the coach.

They were going to speak to Johnson after the tourney.

Said Coach Mosko called Huglin Minnesota's MVP.

Spoke of how he didn't see a rush to get any of them out of school.

Said Krebs started in Rochester to "let him catch his breath."  And they kept him up because he was getting enough touches in Buffalo to be continuing his development.

Gave his thoughts on how to make Buffalo a "hockey destination."  A large part of it comes back to guys wanting to be in a hockey market & having no egos (goes for players & management).

He was asked if player agents were seeing Buffalo as a good place to be & told a couple of positive anecdotes.

Adams is "trying to be true to himself."  Treat people well & be honest.

Says this is a critical draft for the Sabres (well, duh 😉 ).

Looking for players that are curious (in how to get better) & that are self aware.  Singled out Power & Quinn as guys that are exemplary in both aspects. 

Wants the scouts to look for players that want to be better.  Competitive w/ a high hockey IQ.  "Always bet on the smart ones."  (Not stated by him, but Ristolainen was never meant to be long here under his admin.)

He also spoke of how he thinks late developers have higher hockey IQ's because they've had to rely on understanding the game to compete w/ guys that developed quicker. 

He isn't looking for ST make us better moves.  Has to benefit the LT as well.

He does want to add an established D-man.

Said the strength & conditioning program is individualized to each player.  And they have sports science team looking at each player each practice and each game.

Said the Sabres hadn't earned having the fans fully back on their side yet but they're working towards it.

Said Thompson moving to C was ENTIRELY on Granato.  

Said Skinner's resurgence was on Jeff & the coaches.

Was really excited after last season's exit interviews because the young guys all wanted to be here & wanted to get it right here & knew it wasn't good enough.

There were a few other things discussed, but that's the bulk of it.  Expect most of this was already out there from other interviews.  But hopefully there's something new among the various nuggets.

Outstanding, thank you.

My “type” has always been highly competitive, highly intelligent, team-first. Explains why I am in tune with where Adams appears to be steering us.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.