Jump to content

GDT: 4/6/21 Sabres at NJ Devils, 7pm ET, MSG & WGR


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Curt said:

The Sabres were out shot and out chanced in this game, by NJ, who are a bad team.  The difference was goaltending and some nice finishing by Buffalo.  The team still is not playing well, but they look looser.

Timing is huge in this life.  Had they had a different goalie in this game (a healthy Hutton, a pre-trade Johansson, Tokarski, or even today's UPL) they lose.  Had they played Baah-stan w/ Rask between the pipes or the Aisles, they lose.  But none of those things happened.  They got to play the worst teamnin the East with a goalie that wasn't brought back for the Amerks & they now have a 5 game point scoring streak & have Dahlin, Mittelstsdt, Thompson, Asplund, & Montour all believing if they work hard good things will happen.  And the rest of the team is regaining confidence as well.

It wasn't a pretty win, but there were 3 really pretty goals & some fantastic saves.  And at this point, all wins are pretty.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

After all these years, you finally blame the goalie and I can't even agree with you. 🤣

I mean it was a crappy rebound, but it was a bad pinch by Dahlin to allow the shot in the first place, and Fogarty completely missed his man.

Plenty of blame to go around.

 

 

It's not that I disagree , but he does have two points and is +4 in the past five games.

Results gotta mean something, right? 🤷‍♂️

1G, 2A, +7 in the past five games, playing 24 minutes a night.

Is he finally shaking off the COVID?

This. Granato's refusal to answer the question was so telling.

I mean I'm mostly with @Taro T that the biggest change is Linus, but have never seen so many individual players look so much better after a coaching change.

They are legitimately entertaining to watch. Casey, Joki, Thompson, Asplund, Monty, Okposo...they've all sudden morphed in to the best versions of themselves.

And Dahlin...

Tonight was the type of game you expect from a first-overall franchise player — I can't believe he wasn't the first star. Two absolutely elite plays for his points, the second absolutely mind-blowing with the game on the line.

It was so beautiful

 

To the bolded, yes, the coaching change helped, but getting the 18 game monkey off their backs is what has them actually enjoying coming to work.  And the possibility of ending that streak started when w/ Ullmark in the net they got to the 3rd period with leads against the B's & the Phlyers even though that monkey wouldn't ultimately let them shake it in either game.  

That streak was hard to watch, but it had to be brutal to live it.

Any other goalie that was in the organization in January, even if healthy, would not have gotten either game to the 3rd with the lead.  And without him making the early saves to let them have the chance, they would've folded under the weight of trailing each by multiple goals IMHO.  And without getting those 2 40 minute starts, it is hard to expect they could finally play the full 60 that next game.  Filly actually had momentum in the 2nd in that game be streak ended, but they never got it to 2-2 which was huge in preventing that one from getting away from them.

This team is finally fun to watch.  Hopefully that continues.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • SDS unpinned this topic

The Sabres definitely showed they still have problems with tight checking teams. But, they are also showing they can take great advantage of the other teams mistakes in their own end and make them pay. Devils play a fast defensive tight checking game that keeps them in most every game against everyone. Sabres played it well and hung in there and took advantage of what they got. Dahlin played one of his better games in the offensive zone and i hope he keeps going that way.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JohnC said:

No question about that. But what is also apparent is that the play of a significant portion of the roster such as Okposo, Montour, Dahlin and Joki are playing demonstrably better under this coach than the prior coach. 

My position on Granato is that he is not entitled to be the HC selection for next year. But if this depleted team performs well for him then why shouldn't he be given serious consideration for job over other candidates? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Curt said:

The Sabres were out shot and out chanced in this game, by NJ, who are a bad team.  The difference was goaltending and some nice finishing by Buffalo.  The team still is not playing well, but they look looser.

You made a keen observation about the Sabres making a strong finish in this game. And that is a differentiating point between the dispatched coach and the current coach. Prior to the elevation of Granato whenever the Sabres faced adversity they would predictably fold. Now, with a depleted team they continue to push ahead even after dealing with setbacks. There is no question in short order Granato has instilled a more positive psychology to this fragile unit. 

I'm not getting carried away and overinterpreting a a win against NJ in a game that from a territorial standpoint they had a decisive edge.  But what I am saying is that there is a marked improvement even from this injury riddled team after the installation of Granato. This coach is doing well in maximizing the talents of players on his limited roster. What more can you ask for from a coach?  

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, SDS said:

Weren’t those numbers reversed for most of the season?

Kinda. Under Krueger we did a lot of shot suppression in our super defense box. Someone else might be able to find the actual numbers under Krueger, it would be a great comparison. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, dudacek said:

After all these years, you finally blame the goalie and I can't even agree with you. 🤣

I mean it was a crappy rebound, but it was a bad pinch by Dahlin to allow the shot in the first place, and Fogarty completely missed his man.

Plenty of blame to go around.

 

 

It's not that I disagree , but he does have two points and is +4 in the past five games.

Results gotta mean something, right? 🤷‍♂️

1G, 2A, +7 in the past five games, playing 24 minutes a night.

Is he finally shaking off the COVID?

This. Granato's refusal to answer the question was so telling.

I mean I'm mostly with @Taro T that the biggest change is Linus, but have never seen so many individual players look so much better after a coaching change.

They are legitimately entertaining to watch. Casey, Joki, Thompson, Asplund, Monty, Okposo...they've all sudden morphed in to the best versions of themselves.

And Dahlin...

Tonight was the type of game you expect from a first-overall franchise player — I can't believe he wasn't the first star. Two absolutely elite plays for his points, the second absolutely mind-blowing with the game on the line.

It was so beautiful

 

So because he had a secondary assist 3 games ago and his second goal of the season 5 games ago that nullifies my point about how bad he is? Nah

12 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Can you believe it was just a week or two ago that we were saying he was ruined?

Who's we?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SDS said:

Weren’t those numbers reversed for most of the season?

I believe only pre-eichel injury were we being deemed "unlucky". After that the metrics didn't look good until more recently. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thorny said:

So because he had a secondary assist 3 games ago and his second goal of the season 5 games ago that nullifies my point about how bad he is? Nah

Who's we?

Many on the forum, Mr. Pedantic.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...