Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
LGR4GM

Reports: Max Domi wants out of Montreal

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Thorny said:

If we add Danault to be the 2C and we are dealing him at the deadline, it was a fail. 

Not really. A Center with His Metrics would be the Number One Player available at the deadline. With a majority of his salary paid and the ability to retain up to 50% of his salary a Top Prospect and First Round Pick is the most likely return.

I'm not expecting this team to be in a playoff position, there are too many holes to fill and the NHL is considering changing divisions to more a regional setting for next year.

One with all the Canadian Teams( three time zones should be fun) .  The Sabres could  be with Boston, NYR, NYI, NJD, Philly, Pittsburgh, and Washington.  They are better than NJD and maybe Pittsburgh in that scenario.  I do not see them making the playoffs or even being realistically in the hunt.

If he agrees to a new contract knowing he will be the 2C possibility for 2 seasons even better.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Not really. A Center with His Metrics would be the Number One Player available at the deadline. With a majority of his salary paid and the ability to retain up to 50% of his salary a Top Prospect and First Round Pick is the most likely return.

I'm not expecting this team to be in a playoff position, there are too many holes to fill and the NHL is considering changing divisions to more a regional setting for next year.

One with all the Canadian Teams( three time zones should be fun) .  The Sabres could  be with Boston, NYR, NYI, NJD, Philly, Pittsburgh, and Washington.  They are better than NJD and maybe Pittsburgh in that scenario.  I do not see them making the playoffs or even being realistically in the hunt.

If he agrees to a new contract knowing he will be the 2C possibility for 2 seasons even better.

 

Then it's a fail! Seriously. It's playoffs or bust. Probably for Jack, probably for many fans. I don't care about what Danault might fetch us at the deadline, even thinking about that is, frankly, sad. Not taking a shot at your post, I'm just thinking about what that would mean. How sad being a fan would be if THAT is what I'm supposed to look forward to/find silver lining in.

Am I supposed to be excited by the prospect of a late first round pick, in a year, that'll help us, maybe, in 4 years, and some unnamed prospect? None of it matters. If we acquire Danault to be the 2C, and we are dealing him at the deadline because we are ALREADY out of the playoff hunt by that point, the net-view is assuredly bleak. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Not really. A Center with His Metrics would be the Number One Player available at the deadline. With a majority of his salary paid and the ability to retain up to 50% of his salary a Top Prospect and First Round Pick is the most likely return.

I'm not expecting this team to be in a playoff position, there are too many holes to fill and the NHL is considering changing divisions to more a regional setting for next year.

One with all the Canadian Teams( three time zones should be fun) .  The Sabres could  be with Boston, NYR, NYI, NJD, Philly, Pittsburgh, and Washington.  They are better than NJD and maybe Pittsburgh in that scenario.  I do not see them making the playoffs or even being realistically in the hunt.

If he agrees to a new contract knowing he will be the 2C possibility for 2 seasons even better.

 

This cannot be allowable as an excuse. 

What would it be, top 3 in each division, and 2 wildcards? Better make sure to come in ahead of NJD, Pitt, and the Rangers then and finish 5th in division, and make the 2nd wildcard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Thorny said:

Then it's a fail! Seriously. It's playoffs or bust. Probably for Jack, probably for many fans. I don't care about what Danault might fetch us at the deadline, even thinking about that is, frankly, sad. Not taking a shot at your post, I'm just thinking about what that would mean. How sad being a fan would be if THAT is what I'm supposed to look forward to/find silver lining in.

Am I supposed to be excited by the prospect of a late first round pick, in a year, that'll help us, maybe, in 4 years, and some unnamed prospect? None of it matters. If we acquire Danault to be the 2C, and we are dealing him at the deadline because we are ALREADY out of the playoff hunt by that point, the net-view is assuredly bleak. 

Saying it’s playoffs or bust for the team next year is great in theory but reality tells us something else. The Sabres were 13 points out of the final playoff spot, but only six points away from 15th The Eastern Conference. They fired a majority of the Hockey Department and yet they retained the entirety of the coaching staff that had the 20th Ranked PP Unit (which was 1st overall in the beginning of the year, but couldn’t seem to adjust to their cross ice passing lanes being taken away) and the 30th ranked PK Unit.  
 

The NHL Draft is 25 days from today and the opening of free agency is 28 days away and it  does not appear that there will be the hiring of an experienced front office member. I like the approach that Adams, Crowe and Nightengale appear want to take building a successful roster utilizing analytics. I’m not sure the three of them with minimal experience in their current roles will be able to make this a playoff roster in one offseason. The biggest wild card of course is the Pegulas and what their vision for the team will be. 

 

The Goal of any Danault Trade would be to have him sign an extension with the Sabres. He is the best available 2C who is known to possibly be available. He could be the 2C for a minimum of two seasons while Cozens becomes comfortable in the NHL.  He is the type of center that Skinner would thrive with and would allow him to produce in away from Jack, possibly giving them two bonafide scoring lines. This could at least put them in the hunt

That being said, if it doesn’t work out and the Sabres are bottom dwellers again looking to move him at the deadline might be the best option. Who said anything about trading Danault for a no name prospect?  Any team that would want him would have to give up one of their top prospects and keep in mind that Morgan Frost went 27th Overall and Jokiharju 29th in 2017.  Even as a rental Danault will probably cost a minimum of Risto and a 2nd, if disaster strikes they need to look to recoup some of these assets.

15 hours ago, Thorny said:

This cannot be allowable as an excuse. 

What would it be, top 3 in each division, and 2 wildcards? Better make sure to come in ahead of NJD, Pitt, and the Rangers then and finish 5th in division, and make the 2nd wildcard. 

The Rangers are adding LAF and the talk is they are planning to buyout King Henrik. This would give them an additional 3 Million in Cap Space this season and only cost 1.5 Million in 2021-22.  The Rangers also have an easier time attracting UFAs as of now. Finishing in front of them isn’t going to be easy 

Edited by Brawndo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sweet! Maybe the next year. 

Why would they hire a management team incapable of moulding a playoff roster in one off season then? As if that's some insane task never accomplished in the history of the game? 

People's expectations are broken. You are listing dates off as if they are running out of time in the longest off season of all time. 

The team is a few savvy moves from a playoff roster. I've said it, @Randall Flagg has said it, @Taro T and others have said it.

Acting like it's some very unlikely task sure is a mindset I hope the owners and management don't have, I gotta say. And I don't mean that like "oh by all means they need to aim for the playoffs but let's be realistic". 

No lol. They have Eichel in his prime. We need to demand better. Unless we are at a disadvantage now relative to the majority of teams cap wise, there is no excuse for not making it happen. 

- - - 

Of course I want to add Danault, and the fail safe positives are objectively beneficial. I didn't want this to be a big thing - my initial point was merely that the *off season/season* would be a fail should we be dealing Danault at the deadline, in that we did not reach our goal which is playoffs, and therefore thinking about what he'll fetch at the deadline right now in the context of a silver lining can't help but ring hollow. 

Edited by Thorny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Brawndo said:

 

One with all the Canadian Teams( three time zones should be fun) .  The Sabres could  be with Boston, NYR, NYI, NJD, Philly, Pittsburgh, and Washington.  They are better than NJD and maybe Pittsburgh in that scenario.  I do not see them making the playoffs or even being realistically in the hunt.

If he agrees to a new contract knowing he will be the 2C possibility for 2 seasons even better.

 

Pacific, Mountain, Central and Eastern.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

Danault is a better all around player who is one season away from UFA, Domi scores but his defense play is lacking. So I would go with the former.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

Danault is another lesson in player development curves. He was a late 1st round pick.

  • When he was Dylan Cozens age: 62 GP 18/53/71 in the Q (Fans: He didn't tear it up, but he's looking pretty good down there. I like him)
  • Ras Dahlin: 56 23/62/85 in the Q (Fans: he took a big step. He's good one, might even make the team next year)
  • Casey Mittlelstadt 72 6/20/26 as an AHL rookie (Fans: he had a tough adjustment to the pros, but he'll be alright)
  • Alex Nylander 70 13/25/38 as a 2nd-year AHL pro (Fans: we needed to see better numbers, I'm worried he's going to be a bust)
  • Jack Eichel 51 4/6/10 as an NHL rookie (Chicago fans: Bust! Burn the witch! Montreal fans: they did a bad job developing him, a change of scenery can turn him around)
  • Sam Reinhart 82 13/27/40 NHL regular (Fans: This kid's a good one, Bergevin stole him!)
  • Rasmus Ristolainen 52 8/17/25 NHL regular (Fans: he's a solid player, but he's never going to play in the top-six; we need better centres)
  • Zemgus Girgensons 81 12/41/53 NHL regular (Fans: he did a good job at 2C and he'll be a great 3C when Kotkaniemi matures)
  • Joel Armia 71 13/34/47 NHL regular (Fans: he's not good enough to be our 2C but too good to be our 3C. We'll trade him to you at bargain 1C prices)

He was Sam Reinhart's age when he became an NHL regular and Gus' age when he became what he is.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Danault is another lesson in player development curves. He was a late 1st round pick.

  • When he was Dylan Cozens age: 62 GP 18/53/71 in the Q (Fans: He didn't tear it up, but he's looking pretty good down there. I like him)
  • Ras Dahlin: 56 23/62/85 in the Q (Fans: he took a big step. He's good one, might even make the team next year)
  • Casey Mittlelstadt 72 6/20/26 as an AHL rookie (Fans: he had a tough adjustment to the pros, but he'll be alright)
  • Alex Nylander 70 13/25/38 as a 2nd-year AHL pro (Fans: we needed to see better numbers, I'm worried he's going to be a bust)
  • Jack Eichel 51 4/6/10 as an NHL rookie (Chicago fans: Bust! Burn the witch! Montreal fans: they did a bad job developing him, a change of scenery can turn him around)
  • Sam Reinhart 82 13/27/40 NHL regular (Fans: This kid's a good one, Bergevin stole him!)
  • Rasmus Ristolainen 52 8/17/25 NHL regular (Fans: he's a solid player, but he's never going to play in the top-six; we need better centres)
  • Zemgus Girgensons 81 12/41/53 NHL regular (Fans: he did a good job at 2C and he'll be a great 3C when Kotkaniemi matures)
  • Joel Armia 71 13/34/47 NHL regular (Fans: he's not good enough to be our 2C but too good to be our 3C. We'll trade him to you at bargain 1C prices)

He was Sam Reinhart's age when he became an NHL regular and Gus' age when he became what he is.

A. I really appreciate the time and effort you put into this post. Very well done

B. I’m not 100% sure what you’re trying to say

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

B. I’m not 100% sure what you’re trying to say

What a kid is at 20 or 22 is not a great indication of who he will be at 25 or 26, so be careful about giving up on young players, or projecting them too highly (See MIttelstadt, Thompson, Cozens or Jokiharju)

Girgensons was in the NHL looking like a cinch to be a very good 2-way middle-six centre for a long time at 21 and ended up an OK bottom-six winger instead.

Danault was looking like a bust at that age and ended up a very good 2-way middle-six centre.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

What a kid is at 20 or 22 is not a great indication of who he will be at 25 or 26, so be careful about giving up on young players, or projecting them too highly (See MIttelstadt, Thompson, Cozens or Jokiharju)

Girgensons was in the NHL looking like a cinch to be a very good 2-way middle-six centre for a long time at 21 and ended up an OK bottom-six winger instead.

Danault was looking like a bust at that age and ended up a very good 2-way middle-six centre.

I remember when people thought Sam was going to be a bust because he didn’t make the roster his rookie year. He’s not a superstar but he’s been productive 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...