Report: “Another Disconnect” Between Botterill and Krueger

That Aud Smell

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Not a whole lot of poetry and romance coming from the Sabres over the last, oh, 9 years. Which plays into the theory that the team being bad is a factor in why there’s so much interest in their advanced stats. If this team were really good? I think there’d be less interest in the topic, generally. As it is, the stats provide a way of understanding what’s wrong (and thereby providing some sense of ... control? Mastery? Over a bad situation).

You could say the opposite too.  There haven’t been many good Sabres stats over the same time period.  That is leading to more interest in the poetry and romance (culture, heart, grit?) of the game.  People reaching for any easy to digest explanation for why the team can remain bad for so long.

I don’t think either is true though.  Fans (especially fans who might post on the internet) of good teams also have a lot of interest in using statistics as an analytical tool.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Neo said:

Stats are insightful and meaningful.  Acknowledged, admired, respected.

When you’re finished with them, let’s talk poetry and romance.

Acrostic cheatery!

Analytics are only
Numbers if that's what you believe.
Analytics are true
Love if you wish them investigated.
Your mileage may vary.
Those numbers scream out
"Improvement!" if only the team
Could find some
Secondary scoring.

On 5/4/2020 at 8:31 AM, shrader said:

My mind always flocks to the originals, so that is not the quote I was thinking of.  Right character, wrong movie.  A longer rant has now come to mind, but I'll save it for a PM and not derail this thread.

I thought of that one. But if I always took the easy path, I would become an agent of evil.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

Acrostic cheatery!

Analytics are only
Numbers if that's what you believe.
Analytics are true
Love if you wish them investigated.
Your mileage may vary.
Those numbers scream out
"Improvement!" if only the team
Could find some
Secondary scoring.

I thought of that one. But if I always took the easy path, I would become an agent of evil.

Well done!

Neo, BA, Statistics, SUNY Buffalo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.