Jump to content

Open Club  ·  17 members

The Auto Club
Sign in to follow this  
ubkev

What are you driving? What's next?

Recommended Posts

Current car: 07 Infiniti G35X with 102k miles on it. Needs new door lock actuators and tire pressure sensors. But it's paid off and I hope I can get many more years out of it. 

Next car: Who knows. I want the new Toyota Supra but 50k is too much for me. Maybe the new Mazda6. I do love my Japanese cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My everyday car is 2016 Corolla.  Got a very good deal on it and its just about paid for.

|It's a very good and mechanically sound car that will be going for another 10 years, at least. 

The problem is it's 'just a car'.

I am very first in line for a friends 1994 Acura Legend (my wife's 'twin').  One fine day that will be it, at least for the summer.

I'm not sure about 2 summer cars, but what the heck you only live once.

Everyday car ... I have my eye's out for a Suburu of some sort.  The standard AWD intrigues me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My everyday is a Mini Countryman.... had the clubman but boys got too big for back seat. It was awesome manual trans, go cart steering, easy clutch with Yokohamas I could go 80 on cloverleafs.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh boy do I have opinions.

I'm currently driving a 2014 Impala. I bought it used when I was commuting from Rochester and wanted a comfortable, attractive highway cruiser with a large trunk. Check, check, and check.

Unfortunately it's been a real lemon as far as electronics and brake components go. Both rear calipers seized up and destroyed the wheel bearings, the infotainment screen died a month after I bought it (out of warranty of course) and GM doesn't have a test procedure for diagnosing the problem. They want me to just start dumping a thousand dollars at a time to replace things until something fixes it. I've diagnosed the problem myself but the repair people don't have a procedure for confirming my diagnosis so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The taillights leaked water into the trunk like crazy because the seals they use on them are a bad design, so I had to replace those myself (the repair appears to have already been done under the previous owner as a recall item).

During the winter my collision warning system went crazy and the blindspot monitoring indicator on my passengers side mirror decided it was going to stay on permanently. I pulled the fuse for that system and have been without it for a while. Fortunately GM is acknowledging this defect (water gets into the control modules in the back bumper and fries them) so I have the parts on order to replace that component for free...

It's nearly paid off and I don't really want another car payment, but I can't say it's been a satisfying ownership experience these last 2.5 years.

Unfortunately I really don't know what I would want to replace it with. There's not much on the market right now that I like and can afford. Used car prices, frankly, are too high, and I'm not interested spending the money (and committing to) a new car that people are just going to dent, ding and disrespect until I go postal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ubkev said:

Current car: 07 Infiniti G35X with 102k miles on it. Needs new door lock actuators and tire pressure sensors. But it's paid off and I hope I can get many more years out of it. 

Next car: Who knows. I want the new Toyota Supra but 50k is too much for me. Maybe the new Mazda6. I do love my Japanese cars.

I really like Mazda's Kodo design language but it gets ruined the moment you slap a license plate holder on the front because it invades the grille space. Very annoying for anyone who buys a car like the 6 for how good it looks. I think if I bought one I'd tell the dealer to leave it off and just take my chances with getting a ticket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I really like Mazda's Kodo design language but it gets ruined the moment you slap a license plate holder on the front because it invades the grille space. Very annoying for anyone who buys a car like the 6 for how good it looks. I think if I bought one I'd tell the dealer to leave it off and just take my chances with getting a ticket.

PA=no front plate!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ubkev said:

PA=no front plate!

You're in luck then! 

The higher trim 6 with the wood interior accents really does it for me. I've heard positive and negative reviews of their non-touchscreen infotainment (it's a little dial on the center console like BMW (?)).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, darksabre said:

You're in luck then! 

The higher trim 6 with the wood interior accents really does it for me. I've heard positive and negative reviews of their non-touchscreen infotainment (it's a little dial on the center console like BMW (?)).

GF has a Mazda3. I hate the screen, but it's a way of life now, so I'd have to get used to it. She likes it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2014 stock manual subaru impreza. Barebones rattletrap. The way I like it. Nothing fancy. I have an aux jack- the height of luxury.

 

I love stickshift. That is until my new commute... stop go stop go stop go stop go I'm gonna have absolutely SHREDDED calves. 

 

Someday hopefully in the distant far away future I will inherit Fred, my father's 1929 Model A Ford. Fred is a factory original. The engine still turns over. I love Fred. I grew up taking rides in the rumble seat and learning about basic simple engines and such and how not to break your arm on a crankshaft. 

When Fred is mine, if my father hasn't had time to fix 'er up in retirement (he's almost 73 and still working), I will carry that torch. Fred will be my baby. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, josie said:

2014 stock manual subaru impreza. Barebones rattletrap. The way I like it. Nothing fancy. I have an aux jack- the height of luxury.

 

I love stickshift. That is until my new commute... stop go stop go stop go stop go I'm gonna have absolutely SHREDDED calves. 

 

Someday hopefully in the distant far away future I will inherit Fred, my father's 1929 Model A Ford. Fred is a factory original. The engine still turns over. I love Fred. I grew up taking rides in the rumble seat and learning about basic simple engines and such and how not to break your arm on a crankshaft. 

When Fred is mine, if my father hasn't had time to fix 'er up in retirement (he's almost 73 and still working), I will carry that torch. Fred will be my baby. 

Love Driving Stick! Freaking love it! Never minded doing it in heavy traffic. I know the new high tech automatic transmissions all all awesome and whatever, but man...I love the clutch and a short throw shifter.

 

Take care of Fred.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Love Driving Stick! Freaking love it! Never minded doing it in heavy traffic. I know the new high tech automatic transmissions all all awesome and whatever, but man...I love the clutch and a short throw shifter.

 

Take care of Fred.

I've never owned an automatic. My first car was a piece of crap but flashy (for its time and to 16 year old me) Mustang and it's been Subaru Imprezas since then. My mother taught me well. She only had to give up driving manual because of knee problems. 

 

I didn't mind it in traffic too much until I'd snapped my leg. It's all healed and such but it gets... cranky with a lot of clutch work. Especially when I'm in heels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love driving a stick shift.  My first car was a 1987 Mustang - 5 spd.  Awesome!!

One on my favourite and easiest stick to drive (the clutch was as smooth as velvet) was an Opel Astra that we rented in Croatia one time.  I almost bought it and shipped it home.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grew up on a stick Volvo 240 DL wagon with only assist power steering

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Grew up on a stick Volvo 240 DL wagon with only assist power steering

The Swedish army tank, eh?

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Driving a 2012 Caddy SRX (Premier) with 59k miles.  Drives like a dream.  Don't have a dream car.  Last time I did it was the 1976 Trans Am (Smokey and the Bandit car with the gold eagle on it).  I'm anxious to see what Cadillac comes up with in the next few years.

My wife drives a 2000 Jeep Wrangler with 12k miles on it.  Yep, 19 years old and only 12k.  I bought it for her new.  Still have the original tires on it.  Oil changes every 2 years whether it needs it or not.  It's a fun car but I don't recommend it for a long trip.

And the best thing about these cars.  Both are paid for!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tondas said:

Driving a 2012 Caddy SRX (Premier) with 59k miles.  Drives like a dream.  Don't have a dream car.  Last time I did it was the 1976 Trans Am (Smokey and the Bandit car with the gold eagle on it).  I'm anxious to see what Cadillac comes up with in the next few years.

My wife drives a 2000 Jeep Wrangler with 12k miles on it.  Yep, 19 years old and only 12k.  I bought it for her new.  Still have the original tires on it.  Oil changes every 2 years whether it needs it or not.  It's a fun car but I don't recommend it for a long trip.

And the best thing about these cars.  Both are paid for!!

You really should put some new tires on that Wrangler. Tires that old are not safe 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, darksabre said:

You really should put some new tires on that Wrangler. Tires that old are not safe 😅

I don't know how they're not dust by now!

Side note: do you guys have the ability to start threads in here, or is it just me. If so, start em up! If not let me know and I'll check and see what I screwed up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 2011 Audi A4 Titanium edition (S4 suspension, OEM trim blacked out, 19 inch RS5 wheels). It’s fun but affordable for the minimal driving I do these days. My office is 2 miles from home, and we take my wife’s car on longer trips. Just topped 65K but I’m slowing down and doing less than 5000 a year now.

My wife has a 2016 Honda HR-V. That thing is a little tank and I love it. Not particular quick (especially when she keeps that damn eco-mode on which throttles the gas pedal). But it drives small, you sit high, and there’s tons of cargo room. I added a class II hitch for a bike rack. Other than that, this thing is pretty bullet proof and has required zero attention. Gets way better MPG than my car 😜

Ohio is doing away with front plates next summer. I’m already eyeing some new grilles for mine...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, ubkev said:

I don't know how they're not dust by now!

Side note: do you guys have the ability to start threads in here, or is it just me. If so, start em up! If not let me know and I'll check and see what I screwed up.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I love driving a stick shift.  My first car was a 1987 Mustang - 5 spd.  Awesome!!

One on my favourite and easiest stick to drive (the clutch was as smooth as velvet) was an Opel Astra that we rented in Croatia one time.  I almost bought it and shipped it home.

Every time I think about dailying a stick shift I play goalie in hockey and remember that I wouldn't have the energy to push a clutch.

I'd have to shift without it 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been through a number of cars. Each one was great but.... something always happened to each of them.

67 Camaro convertible, 3 speed V6, fun fun fun, but the frame wanted to fold in half

69 Camaro hardtop, 4 speed Muncie, 327 ‘Vette motor in it that needed a lot of work, valves were all burnt. My father drove it home from the seller, in the rain, wiper motor didn’t work, linkage got stuck in 2nd gear, 17yo me out the window moving the wipers by hand. Lol fixed’r up and ran at Lancaster. 

‘81 Camaro, had a v6 but dropped in a  350 from a Malibu (gf kinda borrowed her ex’s car, oops)

after those it was boring car until my recent buy

  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

I’ve been through a number of cars. Each one was great but.... something always happened to each of them.

67 Camaro convertible, 3 speed V6, fun fun fun, but the frame wanted to fold in half

69 Camaro hardtop, 4 speed Muncie, 327 ‘Vette motor in it that needed a lot of work, valves were all burnt. My father drove it home from the seller, in the rain, wiper motor didn’t work, linkage got stuck in 2nd gear, 17yo me out the window moving the wipers by hand. Lol fixed’r up and ran at Lancaster. 

‘81 Camaro, had a v6 but dropped in a  350 from a Malibu (gf kinda borrowed her ex’s car, oops)

after those it was boring car until my recent buy

The chz we never knew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, darksabre said:

The chz we never knew

Right! Who knew chz was a gear head...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Right! Who knew chz was a gear head...

This changes everything 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...