GDT - Carolina @ Sabres - February 7, 2019 - 7:00 PM EST - MSG-B; FS-SE

Sabres Fan in NS

Re: goalies. I was trying to make what the legal eagles would call a prima facie case ("at first sight"; an open and shut case). If you give up six goals in a game, or 17 in three games, you necessarily have goaltending issues (and of course defensive issues). Common sense says a goalie with a 6.00 GAA won't last long in the NHL. To deny any blame for the goalie, you have to also deny any credit when he makes 45 saves on 45 shots.

In other words: nothing to see here.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 2

On 2/8/2019 at 3:23 PM, dudacek said:

Geez man, your steadfast stance of "It's not the goalie's the fault" has become as inevitable as me defending Sam Reinhart and Callaway's bridge-jumping routine ?

Well I've played that position for years so I'm partial. There's an expectation that you are supposed to stop everything, even when it's not possible for human reaction time to move that fast. A goalie simply can't cover the entire net so a shooter that can exploit the openings will score. It's not an indictment of goalkeeping prowess. In fact half the time "amazing saves" are simply hitting the goalie and missing what's open. A good way to measure how amazing a save is how much a goalie moved to cover what was open when the shooter shot. 

But seriously the five guys on the ice don't get enough blame for their screw-ups that lead to goals.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.