New Scotland (NS)

GDT - Carolina @ Sabres - February 7, 2019 - 7:00 PM EST - MSG-B; FS-SE

9 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

No.

After a ridiculous amount of psychodrama, a compromise was reached on this, which is the confining of political discussion to the politics club.  That's where it goes.  And while you may disagree, you might also respect the fact that numerous posters have stated, including in this thread, that they want to talk hockey in the hockey threads and not have them polluted with political poo-flinging.

Anyone getting publically called out for bringing it into the discussion? It happened a couple GDTs ago. Maybe I missed it.

13 hours ago, darksabre said:

I don't know what Sam is thinking with this. 

That he said it or that he's wrong. 

Separately:  to return to the discussion about the PP -- the Sabres had only 2 of them.  In the 1st one, the 1st unit was unable to gain the zone and set up.  In the 2nd one, Eichel was again set up at the right point, not the left half-wall.  So I think the approach has changed.

It's almost like we are missing a good 2 way center to shore up our 2nd or third line.

We are 0 for 2 in the last few years in getting AND being able to keep them when we find one.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, darksabre said:

PA, I can't get to "the goaltending is lacking" when I watch our forwards constantly blow their coverages in the D zone. This team is a defensive train wreck right now. It's like no one knows what they're supposed to be doing. 

I'm with you on this one - I can't really put it on the goalies too much when there are regularly wide open players within 10 ft of the net for tab ins or uncontested shots.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think players got too reliant on Hutton and Ullmark standing on their heads to mask their defensive deficiencies. 

And just to be clear, when I say our defense sucks, I'm taking about all five skaters.

I suspect they heard from Phil to be aggressive and focus on the transition/attacking game, and as a result are not at all focused on the defensive end. I see numerous players coasting around in our own zone or not willing to tie up (or even follow) their man when they move to high-danger areas.

Last night Jack played like broken controller Ovechkin for most of the time in his own zone. Terrible.

15 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

It's almost like we are missing a good 2 way center to shore up our 2nd or third line.

We are 0 for 2 in the last few years in getting AND being able to keep them when we find one.

I'd like a 2C as much as the next guy, but adding one player is not going to fix the team effort and commitment to defense.

Last night was a effort and desire deficiency, not a lack of personnel imo.

Just now, Samson's Flow said:

I'm with you on this one - I can't really put it on the goalies too much when there are regularly wide open players within 10 ft of the net for tab ins or uncontested shots.

I suspect they heard from Phil to be aggressive and focus on the transition/attacking game, and as a result are not at all focused on the defensive end. I see numerous players coasting around in our own zone or not willing to tie up (or even follow) their man when they move to high-danger areas.

Last night Jack played like broken controller Ovechkin for most of the time in his own zone. Terrible.

They really just look like they don't know what they're supposed to be doing. They get into the d zone and it turns into Keystone Cops. Defensemen move out of position because the forwards aren't picking up players higher in the zone, then the forwards get all out of place because they're trying and failing to cover up for the defensemen (if they even recognize that they need to cover up). It's a real damn mess.

2 hours ago, IrwinNelson said:

Two games of Ullmark starting and everyone has already forgotten about Hutton? He hasn’t been good in months and Phil continued to give him starts. He’s easy responsible for a softie or two a game and has most definitely lost us games

I would disagree. He's won us far more games than lost. On the other hand I can point to DOZENS of turnovers every game that are prime scoring chances.

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

They really just look like they don't know what they're supposed to be doing. They get into the d zone and it turns into Keystone Cops. Defensemen move out of position because the forwards aren't picking up players higher in the zone, then the forwards get all out of place because they're trying and failing to cover up for the defensemen (if they even recognize that they need to cover up). It's a real damn mess.

You probably better articulated what I was getting at. We're so focused on what to do once he get the puck, that it tends to look like a pee-wee soccer game when we don't have the puck. There's no structure as to how we are supposed to defend in our zone, so nobody looks like they know who they are supposed to cover or where they're supposed to be.

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I would disagree. He's won us far more games than lost. On the other hand I can point to DOZENS of turnovers every game that are prime scoring chances.

I agree he won us games, especially early on, but that doesn’t mean that he hasn’t cost us games since then. A prime example is the first hurricanes game (using this because it’s one of the few distinguishable games since I was there). I wouldn’t disagree with your statement on turnovers either, but I think it’s easy to discern bad goaltending from bad defense most games.

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

No.

After a ridiculous amount of psychodrama, a compromise was reached on this, which is the confining of political discussion to the politics club.  That's where it goes.  And while you may disagree, you might also respect the fact that numerous posters have stated, including in this thread, that they want to talk hockey in the hockey threads and not have them polluted with political poo-flinging.

I can't find @SDS' post on the matter, but I am fairly certain he sanctioned certain political talk relating to hockey/sports. You kind of have to. An obvious example was Phil's wife running for Senate and the implications on his status of her winning (or losing). Terry once had political types to the arena to edumacate them on fracking. Are these discussions really not valid on a Sabres message board?

Edited by PASabreFan

So Reinhart is throwing the net minding under the bus now?

Jesus, Sam.  Wake up boy!

Go lift some weights and put on a few pounds of muscle and shut your mouth.

25 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I can't find @SDS' post on the matter, but I am fairly certain he sanctioned certain political talk relating to hockey/sports. You kind of have to. An obvious example was Phil's wife running for Senate and the implications on his status of her winning (or losing). Terry once had political types to the arena to edumacate them on fracking. Are these discussions really not valid on a Sabres message board?

I think it did come up in the context you are referring to, i.e. Howie's wife, and in a thread about whether Howie was on the hot seat.  However, the conversation was limited to the question of whether her political allegiance helped Howie's job security -- not the merits of the underlying views -- and even then people objected to it not being in the politics club.  There was certainly no poopstorm relating to various political issues like we had in this GDT last night.  That kind of stuff belongs in the politics club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Geez man, your steadfast stance of "It's not the goalie's the fault" has become as inevitable as me defending Sam Reinhart and Callaway's bridge-jumping routine 😀

2 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

So Reinhart is throwing the net minding under the bus now?

Jesus, Sam.  Wake up boy!

Go lift some weights and put on a few pounds of muscle and shut your mouth.

Sam gets knocked off his skates a lot.  It's strange because he's not exactly a little person.  

9 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

Sam gets knocked off his skates a lot.  It's strange because he's not exactly a little person.  

Did this comment get lost in 2016 and show up late?

Edited by jame
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Re: goalies. I was trying to make what the legal eagles would call a prima facie case ("at first sight"; an open and shut case). If you give up six goals in a game, or 17 in three games, you necessarily have goaltending issues (and of course defensive issues). Common sense says a goalie with a 6.00 GAA won't last long in the NHL. To deny any blame for the goalie, you have to also deny any credit when he makes 45 saves on 45 shots.

In other words: nothing to see here.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, jame said:

Did this comment get lost in 2016 and show up late?

If you think he hasn't lifted a weight since then, I guess it did. 

On 2/8/2019 at 3:23 PM, dudacek said:

Geez man, your steadfast stance of "It's not the goalie's the fault" has become as inevitable as me defending Sam Reinhart and Callaway's bridge-jumping routine 😀

Well I've played that position for years so I'm partial. There's an expectation that you are supposed to stop everything, even when it's not possible for human reaction time to move that fast. A goalie simply can't cover the entire net so a shooter that can exploit the openings will score. It's not an indictment of goalkeeping prowess. In fact half the time "amazing saves" are simply hitting the goalie and missing what's open. A good way to measure how amazing a save is how much a goalie moved to cover what was open when the shooter shot. 

But seriously the five guys on the ice don't get enough blame for their screw-ups that lead to goals.

On 2/7/2019 at 8:42 PM, Eleven said:

So here's a question:  you're a STH anyway.  So why didn't you get that hat until tonight?

They moved us to a Sabres Suite. I think that the only place you get that cap for free.