Canadiens/Islanders came close to making a 3 team deal involving O'Reilly at draft

matter2003

Sabres wanted 3rd overall pick from Habs but they weren't going for it...

A deal almost came through with Habs trading Pacioretty for Isles 11th or 12th pick and then immediately trading that for O'Reilly but ended up not matwrializing for whatever reason..

Wonder if they still end up moving him now or not before the season...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/report-habs-almost-traded-pacioretty-landed-oreilly-draft-day-blockbuster-173555659.html

Sounds more like Bergevin thought the Sabres would take his and when they didn't he tried to get another 1st so he could sweeten his pie with it. When Wahlstrom and Dobson slid (which is insane) the NYI no longer were willing to trade a first for Max Pacioretty. 

As I just said in another thread, just because one GM suggested that a deal was close, it doesn't mean that another GM thought it was close.  Mix in a third GM into that picture and it gets even more questionable.  I always take every almost trade report with a grain of salt.  The supposed deals didn't happen for a reason.  Now I know the column laid out some draft related reasons, but there's more to it than just that.

Bergevin thought the Sabres would take his ###### and when they didn't he tried to get another 1st so he could sweeten his ###### pie with it.

The #3 pick was unanimously already the third talent tier from the top of a weak draft and we would have leveraged our here-and-now 2nd best player to get that?

IEyke3E.gif

I'm glad we passed.

I dont find it that hard to believe that the 3rd pick wasnt involved, and i dont think anything is being made up to save face. It's not hard to believe that a deal was in place that had the Sabres getting either #11 or 12 from the islanders and that the islanders were just waiting to get closer to the pick to pull the trigger, but when things started falling their way they backed out of the deal. I doubt they expected the guys they really wanted to fall to them so they got i to this deal but when those players dropped they decided to keep the pick instead.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.