OK, can we finally admit our goalies are sub-par?

Rabbit151

honestly. Defenses give up chances, some more than others. Remember the good old days with Hasek in net? The Sabres got outshot on a regular basis. And, they gave up glorious scoring chances. Dom was there to save the day. It's easy to blame bone-head Kalinin on the 1st goal (he's playing terrible right now, isn't he. ) . An elite goalie, at that tight an angle plays it in such a way that there is no net to shoot at. The puck goes into the pads. We got spoiled with Dom. The guy was brilliant at recognizing when to be back in the net, when to be out on the crease, when to challenge a shooter, when to look for the pass. Ryan Miller is a child compared to Dom. On a positive note, he's nearly as unattractive as Dom, possibly more.

Who out there is so optimistic that they can't see that we don't have the tending we need?

Here's a twist on a famous quote. " I knew Dominik Hasek, and you sir, are no Dominik Hasek."

Oh by the way, to the first guy who responds with" we don't have Hasek anymore. Get over it.", screw you. We have lousy goaltending is the point of all this. You can blame defense all you want. We don't have a difference maker in net. PERIOD.

Ryan Miller is a good to great goalie. However, he is a headcase. This is either a growing pain or it's a career buster. It's time to ride biron, who is a good to great goalie and is less of a headcase, for the rest of the season and playoffs. You cannot allow a confidence shaken goalie to allow a 100 point team, predicted to make about 70 points, to lose in the 1st round of the playoffs.

honestly. Defenses give up chances, some more than others. Remember the good old days with Hasek in net? The Sabres got outshot on a regular basis. And, they gave up glorious scoring chances. Dom was there to save the day. It's easy to blame bone-head Kalinin on the 1st goal (he's playing terrible right now, isn't he. ) . An elite goalie, at that tight an angle plays it in such a way that there is no net to shoot at. The puck goes into the pads. We got spoiled with Dom. The guy was brilliant at recognizing when to be back in the net, when to be out on the crease, when to challenge a shooter, when to look for the pass. Ryan Miller is a child compared to Dom. On a positive note, he's nearly as unattractive as Dom, possibly more.

Who out there is so optimistic that they can't see that we don't have the tending we need?

Here's a twist on a famous quote. " I knew Dominik Hasek, and you sir, are no Dominik Hasek."

Oh by the way, to the first guy who responds with" we don't have Hasek anymore. Get over it.", screw you. We have lousy goaltending is the point of all this. You can blame defense all you want. We don't have a difference maker in net. PERIOD.

Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view. ;) ;)

I will not admit that they're subpar. They're above par. But "above par" doesn't mean "the next Hasek." It means better than average, which is where both of them are. Screw me, I guess, but we don't have Hasek anymore. Get over it. He's a once-in-a-lifetime talent whose act is impossible to follow. Miller and Biron definitely are not lousy, and sometimes they are difference-makers (but increasingly rarely).

I think Corp is right on all counts. Biron needs to be the starter right now and something is in Miller's head.

Biron's been a pretty big head case in his career. Witness the number of goals allowed in the final minute of periods, including one in New Jersey I think that came just after the buzzer. But maybe he's a different guy now.

Biron's been a pretty big head case in his career. Witness the number of goals allowed in the final minute of periods, including one in New Jersey I think that came just after the buzzer. But maybe he's a different guy now.

I just have the perspective if your team is out of position and nobody is backchecking well that your Goalie is going to get beat.

For his age I am impressed by Numminens recovery speed, but Fitzpatrick and Kalinen can't play the same way. Fact is the Sabres are giving up too many scoring oportunities.

We don't have Dominik Hasek any more.

Let me beat you to the punch. F off.

We obviously have defense and goaltending issues. I don't think anyone on this board said otherwise. Miller let in some really bad goals last night and that needs to change. A goalie needs to make a lot of tough saves. But when the defense in front of him turns the puck over repeatedly in front of them (Kalinin, Kalinin, Kalinin) it certainly adds to the equation. When forwards aren't back checking and covering the points, it adds to the equation. There are a ton of defensive breakdowns to account for as well as sub-par goaltending.

That said, the lesser of two evils right now is Biron, and he should be starting the rest of the way.

The big question in my mind is why the defense especially is making so many junior hockey mistakes. Can't Ruff lay down the law? Is this the vaunted attack system we are employing -- is it designed to start in our own zone with the D throwing the puck up for grabs? I swear, this is the worst I've seen a Sabre defense play in years. These are pretty good defensemen -- they know better. The ring around the dasher boards is being stopped at the point nine times out of ten and converted into frequent scoring opportunities. What happened to the simple play? When you get in trouble, bank it off the boards or the glass to center, or tie it up along the wall. Why throw it to the center of the ice? And that's just our D. The forwards are a big part of it too. How many goals have we given up in the last three weeks where someone beats a defenseman or forward to the top of the crease and chips in an easy goal? It's time for Lindy to remember that he cut his teeth coaching a defensive game, a game that took one of his teams to the finals.

The big question in my mind is why the defense especially is making so many junior hockey mistakes. Can't Ruff lay down the law?

It is kind of funny, we are getting so up in arms over breakdowns of a really young team (some of them not too far out of Juniors). Most of our "seasoned veterans" are only in their mid-20s. Who would have thought that we would hit 100 points this year. Still, it is fun to discuss all of these mistakes. Regardless of what happens here on out this season has been a major success and I reallly think this team (goalies and coach included) will win a cup over next few years. But, optimism aside, I really wish they could get the basics of defensive play down pat!

I don't know, man. Numminen is 37, Fitzpatrick 31, McKee and Lydman 28, Tallinder 27, Campbell 27 next month, and Kalinin almost 26. Supposedly one of our best two-way players, Chris Drury, will be 30 this summer and is a -15. Miller will be 26 this summer, and Biron 29. I don't think youth and inexperience tell the tale. Maybe it's what no fan ever wants to believe: we're not good enough.

I don't know, man. Numminen is 37, Fitzpatrick 31, McKee and Lydman 28, Tallinder 27, Campbell 27 next month, and Kalinin almost 26. Supposedly one of our best two-way players, Chris Drury, will be 30 this summer and is a -15. Miller will be 26 this summer, and Biron 29. I don't think youth and inexperience tell the tale. Maybe it's what no fan ever wants to believe: we're not good enough.

Miller is also finishing his first full NHL season. As he gets a little more experience I'd be willing to bet he will bounce back from the slumps a lot quicker.

Yep, and that J.P. Losman is going to be great -- give him a year or two. You'll see.

PA, I don't think the two situations are comparable. I am not a huge football fan, and correct me if I'm wrong, but Losman didn't really show signs of brillance this year.

I think it's unfair to judge Ryan on the last month when he was great before his slump started. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you really didn't see any games before the slump started right? So is it really fair to say what you are saying when you didn't see him play on top of his game. Sorry, but a hot streak from December-February is not a fluke.

No one's going to remember what he did in the middle of winter. They're going to remember what he did in the spring, and so far, he's been mediocre to fair. This is crunch time, and it hasn't been Miller's time... yet. Ask some Amerk fans how he did in crunch time there. Actually it's not crunch time yet. When it is, we're all expecting this big light to click on. I hope it does. Sorry to be so negative. It's just a scary time to be a Sabre fan.

No one's going to remember what he did in the middle of winter. They're going to remember what he did in the spring, and so far, he's been mediocre to fair. This is crunch time, and it hasn't been Miller's time... yet. Ask some Amerk fans how he did in crunch time there. Actually it's not crunch time yet. When it is, we're all expecting this big light to click on. I hope it does. Sorry to be so negative. It's just a scary time to be a Sabre fan.

But my point is, he's in his first NHL season, as he gets more experience he is going to get better at handling these slumps, and they will be shorter.

Obviously, we're not likely to see another Dominator any time soon or ever. So, we have to go with the best talent that we have. Miller could become great. Biron seems to be able to reach good. At this point, I think they are average to above average. Lately, playing below average...especially Miller. I think MIller does appear to have mental problems and appears to lack confidence in himself (it looks like it when you see his eyes). I remember that in the past before he made the team this year that previously he's admitted having problems dwelling on bad goals and had trouble getting past them. Perhaps this is more of the same.

Other than that I think the team is playing defensively like poo. They are making mistakes even junior players shouldn't be making. Basic defensive plays that should have been learned when they were barely able to skate. That goes for forwards and D. Also, they are being outworked and outmuscled especially in their own zone.

IMHO, I think Biron is playing better or the two and we should go with him for the time being. But, the team needs to play more basic solid defense and establish that before the post-season hits. They need to also show some more intensity and desire.

Yep, and that J.P. Losman is going to be great -- give him a year or two. You'll see.

I am not sue if this is sarcasm or not, but JP was never really given much of a chance this year. I dont think he will ever be an elite QB but it takes a couple of seasons to ussuallly develop a QB. If this wasnt sarcasm i apologize, but if it is I think you expected way to much from him this year.

I think Lindy should have played Biron last night and Miller tonight.

What the hell, let's call up Leighton and see how he does.

I have to admit, the defense I saw out of the Sabres seems to be getting worse. So many careless turn-overs in the defensive zone by forwards and defencemen.

But, like I say, that's why the goalie is there. To bail out the rest of the team. He's the one guy who not only has to stop the easy shots, he's gotta stop the difficult ones too. If he can't, he's no good to the team. It's all or nothing at that position. Closer in baseball, kicker in football, it's all the same, there is no room for any error. Sorry Ryan, that's the way it is, so how bout just stopping the rubber?

Holy mackarel everyone is being pretty quick to write off Miller. IMHO, he was a top-3 goalie in the entire league for a solid 50 games or whatever it was until the break, and since then he's slumped. It does happen to most goalies -- e.g. marty brodeur had a much longer slump this year and has had them in years past.

(although as a sabres fan I will note that Dominik NEVER had a slump like that).

In any case Ryan looked pretty GD strong tonight. If he gets it back together and has a strong playoffs, no one will remember this little bumpy patch. If he's lousy in the playoffs, it will be fair to question his ability to deliver in crunch time -- but we're his fans, aren't we? can't we at least give him time and see how he actually does before we assume he's going to choke away our season?

we wouldn't have had anywhere near the kind of season we've had without Miller. Remember him stoning Ottawa in the shootout the 1st time we beat them? Let's not be too quick to throw him under the bus.

Go Sabres.

I think Lindy should have played Biron last night and Miller tonight.

What the hell, let's call up Leighton and see how he does.

I have to admit, the defense I saw out of the Sabres seems to be getting worse. So many careless turn-overs in the defensive zone by forwards and defencemen.

But, like I say, that's why the goalie is there. To bail out the rest of the team. He's the one guy who not only has to stop the easy shots, he's gotta stop the difficult ones too. If he can't, he's no good to the team. It's all or nothing at that position. Closer in baseball, kicker in football, it's all the same, there is no room for any error. Sorry Ryan, that's the way it is, so how bout just stopping the rubber?

He still has to win a few more before I will be sure that the slump is over, but I was pretty happy with his performance tonight!

He still has to win a few more before I will be sure that the slump is over, but I was pretty happy with his performance tonight!

I agree. Considering what he's been doing, this game was a significant upgrade over the last couple months, and I for one am pleasantly surprised.

If he can do that or better in Montreal, then I think we'll be just fine heading into the post season.

Holy mackarel everyone is being pretty quick to write off Miller. IMHO, he was a top-3 goalie in the entire league for a solid 50 games or whatever it was until the break, and since then he's slumped. It does happen to most goalies -- e.g. marty brodeur had a much longer slump this year and has had them in years past.

(although as a sabres fan I will note that Dominik NEVER had a slump like that).

In any case Ryan looked pretty GD strong tonight. If he gets it back together and has a strong playoffs, no one will remember this little bumpy patch. If he's lousy in the playoffs, it will be fair to question his ability to deliver in crunch time -- but we're his fans, aren't we? can't we at least give him time and see how he actually does before we assume he's going to choke away our season?

we wouldn't have had anywhere near the kind of season we've had without Miller. Remember him stoning Ottawa in the shootout the 1st time we beat them? Let's not be too quick to throw him under the bus.

Go Sabres.

Finally, some optimism. Let's face it... Hasek spoiled us. There may never be another goalie like him. Give Miller a chance. He was in the top 5 in the league in GA and Save % for most of the season. He's hit a rough patch. It's his first full season. Let's reserve all the naysaying until the playoffs are over. If we end up getting ousted early because of his poor play, then let him have it. Until then, let's get behind them. I'm sure Tampa would love to have our goaltenders...

Archived