DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

Rumors I heard from well-placed sources this morning:  Don't be surprised if O'Reilly is shipped out.

This would be very interesting.  I wonder what kind of return they could get for him?

Buckle up. If Botterill is ready to deal ROR, then i think we could be in for some real fire works in the next few weeks and into the draft as they try to rebuild this team.

Webster as well. This has legs.

The return would likely fix our depth issues while creating a gaping hole 20 minutes every night.

If it happens, I would expect a more conventional third line centre brought in to handle the shutdown role and Sam Reinhart to be given the second line Centre slot he was drafted to fill and never been used in.

O’Reilly is the perfect fit for Columbus.

They also have great depth on the wings and defencemen we could use and they can afford to give up.

I’d assume Dubinsky would be coming our way for contract/roster purposes and Dubois and the two young studs on D are off limits. What else could be attached to make the deal worth doing for both teams?

Hurricanes would love him.

Something based around Faulk might work.

Carolina adds.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

Ditto. Told about 50/50 chance.

I find that so odd. If he’s such a problem they feel they need to move him, which would be a huge deal, how can it be 50/50? If they can’t trade him they just say “ah screw it, maybe we can win with him after all”?

It’s either move him, or don’t.

Is the 50/50 cause they are unsure if they want to?

Webster as well. This has legs.

The return would likely fix our depth issues while creating a gaping hole 20 minutes every night.

If it happens, I would expect a more conventional third line centre brought in to handle the shutdown role and Sam Reinhart to be given the second line Centre slot he was drafted to fill and never been used in.

There is absolutely nothing Sam Reinhart has done this year to warrant being given that spot. I can’t see them doing that.

If they move ROR, I’d have to imagine it would be in spite of Reinhart being unable to show himself capable of filling in for ROR this season.

The jets are another good target and they have lots of useful kids.

They won’t have the cap space to take him on I don’t think, with the big contracts they’ll have coming up. Laine, Trouba, maybe Connor. They’ve already committed to Little, Ehlers and Scheifele long term recently.

Unless they are dumping salary in return.

On a personal note, I hope we don’t trade him to the Jets, so I don’t have to deal with getting lambasted by Jets fans on the daily (regardless of whatever the trade amounts to objectively).

Is Montreal an option? If any team needs centres..

I find that so odd. If he’s such a problem they feel they need to move him, which would be a huge deal, how can it be 50/50? If they can’t trade him they just say “ah screw it, maybe we can win with him after all”?

It’s either move him, or don’t.

Is the 50/50 cause they are unsure if they want to?

There is absolutely nothing Sam Reinhart has done this year to warrant being given that spot. I can’t see them doing that.

If they move ROR, I’d have to imagine it would be in spite of Reinhart being unable to show himself capable of filling in for ROR this season.

I think with O’Reilly it’s more like: not sure if he’s a perfect fit for reasons, but my god, how are we going to replace him.

Not disagreeing as far as Reinhart goes (and it probably figures greatly into the above) but who is a better candidate? Larsson? Rodrigues?

They won’t have the cap space to take him on I don’t think, with the big contracts they’ll have coming up. Laine, Trouba, maybe Connor. They’ve already committed to Little, Ehlers and Scheifele long term recently.

Unless they are dumping salary in return.

On a personal note, I hope we don’t trade him to the Jets, so I don’t have to deal with getting lambasted by Jets fans on the daily (regardless of whatever the trade amounts to objectively).

Is Montreal an option? If any team needs centres..

I would not be happy trading him within division. 

Trade him to Anaheim. They really need centers

Montreal is a great option. Every team could use him. Every team would want him.

Question is who can afford him and where are the better fits?

You want a real first-pair defencemen? OReilly is one of the few pieces that could help you get one.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

I would not be happy trading him within division. 

Trade him to Anaheim. They really need centers

I never mind trading within the division. If we trust our GM, not only do we get stronger, a division rival gets weaker. Two birds.

If we don’t trust the GM to make a good trade, then who cares anyways, we’re screwed.

Can’t see an Anaheim trade.

Getzlaf and Kessler are still under contract and they added Henrique, so O’Reilly is a tough fit.

And their defence depth ain’t there any more with Theodore and Vatanen gone.

Okay Ek :p

Don’t stop me I’m on a roll.

If they can’t entertain me on the ice, let them entertain me off it.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

The only piece in Montreal that would tempt me to move O’Reilly is Price.

Galchenyuk and Price for oReilly and Lehner.

Honestly, we’ve heard rumblings of this in Canada. At least I have and I’m assuming you may have given your post.

Price’s new deal hasn’t kicked in yet. I’ve heard early, very early speculation that they are less than 100% set on keeping him.

Who knows. Unlikely, to be sure.

You mean this Ho-Sang? https://www.bardown.com/the-islanders-ahl-coach-called-out-josh-ho-sang-for-being-a-baby-and-immature-1.967090

Yea... no thanks. At this point I think if someone offered the Islanders a yellow raincoat they'd trade Ho-Sang for it.

I watched him since he was traded to the ice dogs the last 2 seasons and there never seemed to be an issue with him here. There were issues with him and the islanders, but I never heard of there being issues in Niagara. I read the article Bout him this year and it sounds like he is improving but still needs to mature more according to his coach

Personally I think he needs to get moved from the islanders. He definitely has the talent to be Good, just needs to go somewhere and decide he needs to mature and take things seriously. I wouldn't give up a big assert for him, but a mid level pick might be worth it if the roster had some leaders that could get him to grow up

The only piece in Montreal that would tempt me to move O’Reilly is Price.

Galchenyuk and Price for oReilly and Lehner.

:blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

He has an 8 year, $10.5M cap hit at 31 with injury history. Montreal would have to give me their next two firsts to take that contract on

I have a really hard time believing Botterill would go to the trouble of protecting Ullmark only to go ahead and use our best non-Eichel asset to acquire a 31 year old goalie about to start a crippling contract.

What about the Hurricanes?

Hanifan and Lindholm are RFAs this summer.

Faulk is a UFA in two years.

Faulk and Lindholm for OReilly and Borgen.

Hanifan and Lindholm for OReilly and Guhle

There's an argument for the first, but we get completely smoked on that second deal.

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

He has an 8 year, $10.5M cap hit at 31 with injury history. Montreal would have to give me their next two firsts to take that contract on

Sure but Price is the best goalie in the world and will remain that way for another five years at least.

I have a really hard time believing Botterill would go to the trouble of protecting Ullmark only to go ahead and use our best non-Eichel asset to acquire a 31 year old goalie about to start a crippling contract.

There's an argument for the first, but we get completely smoked on that second deal.

Think Guhle is a lot closer to Hanifan than draft status would suggest?

And I’m not advocating the Price proposal, just saying that he’s the only name that puts O’Reilly on the table for me.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

What about the Hurricanes?

Hanifan and Lindholm are RFAs this summer.

Faulk is a UFA in two years.

Faulk and Lindholm for OReilly and Borgen.

Hanifan and Lindholm for OReilly and Guhle

Carolina is not a cap team, and it has been reported they like making deals for talent that is younger and won't hit FA anytime soon (i.e. Duchene). Not sure if O'Reilly is too rich for them, but if he's not here's a deal there

Price is the best goalie in the world and will remain that way for another five years at least.

I'll take that bet so fast. He won't even be the best goalie in another two years, let alone the level above everyone else he would need to play at to even remotely justify paying him like an elite center.

Bergevin and Joe Sakic, who's dumber?