The College Free Agent Debate: Should the Loophole Exist?

LGR4GM

Exactly. And now they're about to lose one that they actually drafted and invested time into. It was never a problem until that long shot hit close to home.

My main problem with everything discussed here is that each suggested "fix" is nothing more than a punishment to the player who goes the college route. If these suggestions miraculously came to be, all it does is dry up the college talent pool.

Considering even the bulk of kids good enough for MJ will never be good enough for the NHL it really is in their best interest to giving serious consideration to college hockey as they'll (theoretically) come out of school w/ a marketable skill set even if that skill set isn't professional hockey player.

Would like to see the NHL push rules that nudge even more kids to college (in the States or Canada) but considering MJ is still a key pipeline, don't see it happening.

Edited by Taro T

Considering even the bulk of kids good enough for MJ will never be good enough for the NHL it really is in their best interest to giving serious consideration to college hockey as they'll (theoretically) comevout of school w/ a marketable skill set even if that skill set isn't professional hockey player.

Would like to see the NHL push rules that nudge even more kids to collegs (in the States or Canada) but considering MJ is still a key pipeline, don't see it happening.

I'd like to see MJ stop paying players their lunch money so the kids wouldn't lose their eligibility. I've seen MJ kids go to Canadian Colleges, but I think MJ removes you from US Colleges.

Or am I confused about the eligibility?

I'd like to see MJ stop paying players their lunch money so the kids wouldn't lose their eligibility. I've seen MJ kids go to Canadian Colleges, but I think MJ removes you from US Colleges.

Or am I confused about the eligibility?

No, you're right.  I think it's a good example of where the real issues lie here though.  What you're talking about with the CHL and what others have said about the NCAA are issues with those organizations, not the NHL.

Sounds like you guys would really freak out if the NHL draft was like the MLB draft.

Don't like your draft slot? Go to JuCo and get drafted by a new team next year. Don't like that team either? Go back to school and get drafted by another team next year. Don't like that teams offer? Go back to school again! MLB teams can't even hold a players rights if they go to school.

NCAA hockey? Nah.

Football? Sure.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Hockey and Baseball especially are not REVENUE SPORTS but the kids are taken advantage of as if they are nonetheless. If you're good enough you're good enough.

I'd also argue that the NBA and NFL restrictions on draft age and the subsequent benefits to NCAA programs are illegal restrictions on trade and as such pure antitrust violations. If I dealt in that area of law, of course...

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Hockey and Baseball especially are not REVENUE SPORTS but the kids are taken advantage of as if they are nonetheless. If you're good enough you're good enough.

I'd also argue that the NBA and NFL restrictions on draft age and the subsequent benefits to NCAA programs are illegal restrictions on trade and as such pure antitrust violations. If I dealt in that area of law, of course...

Not sure about that. Back in the '90's NCAA Div 1 hockey programs did make money; that they'd still be in the black is likely why there are now so many more Div 1 programs.

Baseball was in the red back then; expect that is still the case but don't have the data to confirm it is still the case.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.