Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

@mikerodak

The Bills are signing QB Keith Wenning, source tells ESPN NFL Insider Field Yates. Wenning, 26, was most recently with the Giants this spring. He was coached in 2014 by then-Ravens QBs coach Rick Dennison, now the Bills' offensive coordinator. He becomes the fourth quarterback on the Bills' depth chart but could see significant playing time in Thursday's preseason finale with Tyrod Taylor and T.J. Yates both out with concussions. 

Holy sh1tballs.

Just trade McCoy already.

Can't recall it being like that (people bitching about the preseaon except '90 they definitely were coming off the "bickering Bills" & Marchibroda not showing the K-Gun until week 1 vs Indy), but wasn't in WNY during most of the Levy era so maybe they did.

My memory was that the 1's would usually be winning when they were pulled and they were usually pulled early (training camp / preseason was "Club Marv") & then the 2's, 3's, & 4's got fairly well thumped by the other guys' 1's - 4's.

Agree that typically preseason means nothing. Also, recall reading that the 0-16 Lions ran the table in preseason that year.

This is correct. The Bills stunk in the preseason but it was usually because Levy pulled the starters mid-way through the first quarter when they were up 7-0 or something along those lines and our backups usually got creamed by the other team's starters. Preseason final scores don't matter but how your starters and 2nd string perform in the preseason definitely does, regardless of how many series they play in.

The whole preseason doesn't mean anything shtick that many here keep parroting completely ignores that.

Bills trade Ragland to the Chiefs for 2019 4th

Great. Nothing like trading a cheap, cost controlled 2nd round pick for a 4th in 2 years. It's gonna be fun watching them trade McCoy for a 2nd rounder only to spending 2 firsts on a running back next year.

#blueprint

This is correct. The Bills stunk in the preseason but it was usually because Levy pulled the starters mid-way through the first quarter when they were up 7-0 or something along those lines and our backups usually got creamed by the other team's starters. Preseason final scores don't matter but how your starters and 2nd string perform in the preseason definitely does, regardless of how many series they play in.

The whole preseason doesn't mean anything shtick that many here keep parroting completely ignores that.

Great. Nothing like trading a cheap, cost controlled 2nd round pick for a 4th in 2 years. It's gonna be fun watching them trade McCoy for a 2nd rounder only to spending 2 firsts on a running back next year.

#blueprint

KC stashing him for next year. Beane selling assets at lowest possible value.

KC stashing him for next year. Beane selling assets at lowest possible value.

Beane is nothing but a figurehead anyway. People can slam it as conjecture all they want but McGinger is the one running this show. We let an unproven rookie head coach pick his own boss. There's no way Beane is dumping these guys without the holy wrestler's blessing.

The more I think about it, the happier I am. Love Beane and the work he's doing, the man's a genius 

Enjoy it while it lasts. He'll be fired in 2-3 seasons when our playoff drought reaches the 20 year mark. At that point I imagine everyone gets fired except for Russ Brandon.

Enjoy it while it lasts. He'll be fired in 2-3 seasons when our playoff drought reaches the 20 year mark. At that point I imagine everyone gets fired except for Russ Brandon.

Nope, don't see it. Best GM we've had since Polian

Nope, don't see it. Best GM we've had since Polian

I'll believe it if/when he gets them to the playoffs. I don't think it's likely whatsoever but I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Right now him and his rookie head coach of a boss seem more interested in stockpiling picks than putting a winning team on the field at this point.

Edited by Drunkard

@fieldyates
Source: with Tyrod Taylor and T.J. Yates dealing with concussions, the Bills are signing QB Keith Wenning. Familiar with OC Rick Dennison.

@mikerodak
The Bills are signing QB Keith Wenning, source tells ESPN NFL Insider Field Yates. Wenning, 26, was most recently with the Giants this spring. He was coached in 2014 by then-Ravens QBs coach Rick Dennison, now the Bills' offensive coordinator. He becomes the fourth quarterback on the Bills' depth chart but could see significant playing time in Thursday's preseason finale with Tyrod Taylor and T.J. Yates both out with concussions. 

I don't think some of you all know just how underrated John Wendling is.  This is a freaking steal.

I'll believe it if/when he gets them to the playoffs. I don't think it's likely whatsoever but I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Right now him and his rookie head coach of a boss seem more interested in stockpiling picks than putting a winning team on the field at this point.

I've decided to be as absurdly positive as posts are negative about them ;) 

Wendling, bad QB name. idk man. 

Big if true

I've decided to be as absurdly positive as posts are negative about them ;)

Big if true

Homer it up, if it makes you feel any better. Given the last couple decades of ineptitude though despite 2 owners and countless changes at GM and HC the smart money is on the team stinking though.

Edited by Drunkard

Homer it up, if it makes you feel any better. Given the last couple decades of ineptitude though despite 2 owners and countless changes at GM and HC the smart money is on the team stinking though.

I feel like WC is being somewhat facetious. 

The negativity is annoying, especially because Beane and McDermott are brand new and having nothing at all to do with the previous 17 years. So I'm just going to champion them as saviors now with the same rationale 

Edited by WildCard

I feel like WC is being somewhat facetious. 

He flat out stated he was being absurdly positive to counter balance the negative posts about the team. To each his own. I kept a mostly positive attitude about the team for 15+ years while they continually sucked. I just refuse to do it any longer. Especially since they don't even seem to be trying any more. I just think it's bs that they waited until after most fans had already bought their tickets to start selling off their talent in exchange for futures. At least the fans still have Thunderdome out in the parking lot to be entertained though.

The negativity is annoying, especially because Beane and McDermott are brand new and having nothing at all to do with the previous 17 years. So I'm just going to champion them as saviors now with the same rationale

Word. I just feel like you're not actually that invested in it. Sort of a "f*ck it, why not, how bad could it be" thing.

Word. I just feel like you're not actually that invested in it. Sort of a "f*ck it, why not, how bad could it be" thing.

Pretty much. It's year 1 of a complete rebuild, where we have no QB and the schedule was already brutal. I wrote off the season in January, and I'm not going to start flipping out over moves involving players that weren't going to have a future on this team anyways. We've been doing the same thing for 17 years, this may not work but at least it's different.

So it and let's just see where it goes 

Beane is nothing but a figurehead anyway. People can slam it as conjecture all they want but McGinger is the one running this show. We let an unproven rookie head coach pick his own boss. There's no way Beane is dumping these guys without the holy wrestler's blessing.

I agree. Beane is his assistant. That's why Brett Veach was not hired even though his resume was more attractive.

Pretty much. It's year 1 of a complete rebuild, where we have no QB and the schedule was already brutal. I wrote off the season in January, and I'm not going to start flipping out over moves involving players that weren't going to have a future on this team anyways. We've been doing the same thing for 17 years, this may not work but at least it's different.

So ###### it and let's just see where it goes 

That's basically where I'm at. Nothing the Bills do elicits a positive or negative reaction from me because who the hell knows what even matters anymore.

I think that's right. It does not matter at all whether your team wins its preseason games. It does, however and to varying degrees, matter how your starters look in their preseason games. 

Hahaha - damn. That's rough, even for someone (me) who has had some stuff to say on the subject.

Hahaha 

I agree. Beane is his assistant. That's why Brett Veach was not hired even though his resume was more attractive.

Or maybe his partner.

It's likely that Veach was not hired because the owners placed a premium value on having cohesion -- and McDermott wanted someone he knew, and knew he could work with.

That may prove a mistake. We'll see.

So ###### it and let's just see where it goes 

Basically where I'm at this year. Very early in the offseason I had them pegged as a 6 win team when looking at the schedule and all the moving parts on the roster.

After the past handful of trades, I have them around 4 wins. Which I'm ok with as long as they finally land that QB we haven't had since Kelly. They're obviously putting a lot of stock into building back up the depth in a way that fits their systems, but they're also putting themselves in position to make a play for QB.