Captain my Captain: Gionta or ROR

LGR4GM

Should Gionta relinquish his captaincy to Ryan O'Reilly and become an assistant captain this season? 

I say yes. Not because I dislike Gionta but because it provides ROR an entire year to learn from Gionta if needed while also being the guy. 

ROR knows his time is coming, I see Gionta retiring after this coming year.  If Gionta gives it to him then fine, otherwise let it ride.

I'd like to see it go to O'Reilly now. I get it though, it won't. I think Gionta is a healthy scratch by mid-year, especially if Vesey signs and we are in the hunt for playoffs. Dude is 37! Old man Legwand is 1.5 years younger.

Dude finished 45 in Right Wing points last year, 49 in goals - statistically, that's an average second-liner.

He was 19th in RW ice time, one tick ahead of Corey Perry (not something Bylsma should be proud of)

He's in great shape and he can still skate.

I think reports of his looming demise might be greatly exaggerated.

I think people haven't really given enough thought to the possibility of the Sabres re-signing him.

Edited by dudacek

Dude finished 45 in Right Wing points last year, 49 in goals - statistically, that's an average second-liner.

He was 19th in RW ice time, one tick ahead of Corey Perry (not something Bylsma should be proud of)

He's in great shape and he can still skate.

I think reports of his looming demise might be greatly exaggerated.

I think people haven't really given enough thought to the possibility of the Sabres re-signing him.

Re-sign!?! Oof. I want shiny new toys.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.