OT: Moving the family out of state - destination: Nashville, TN area

Oh, and don't live in a trailer park. Twisters LOVE those things :P

That's an absolute guarantee lol! Storm chasers ought to just hang out nearby one instead of chasing.

In reality, if you're living in central to western Tennessee, the chances of being involved with a tornado is slim to none. The chances of being involved with an f3-f5 tornado is closer to none. You're more likely to encounter any other major natural disaster living any place else in the country.

In reality, if you're living in central to western Tennessee, the chances of being involved with a tornado is slim to none. The chances of being involved with an f3-f5 tornado is closer to none. You're more likely to encounter any other major natural disaster living any place else in the country.

You don't say. Hmmm. I will disagree.

http://nashville.about.com/od/weather/tp/Tornados-In-Tennessee.htm

http://www.wsmv.com/story/20755602/severe-storms-tornado-middle-Tennessee

Survey says:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59m5zpEKNjk

Considering there have been a grand TOTAL of TWO major tornadoes (f3+) in the last 64 years in Davidson county, I'll stand by my statement.

18 of those 20 tornadoes listed in your one link were f0 or f1. Do you know how strong an f0 is? It's basically a big gust of localized wind, most often not even associated with any kind of rotation.

And when I say there have only been two f3+ and over tornadoes in Davidson county, I really shouldn't include the "+" because there have never been any f4's and f5's in Davidson county in 64 years of recorded history. ;)

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Considering there have been a grand TOTAL of TWO major tornadoes (f3+) in the last 64 years in Davidson county, I'll stand by my statement.

18 of those 20 tornadoes listed in your one link were f0 or f1. Do you know how strong an f0 is? It's basically a big gust of localized wind, most often not even associated with any kind of rotation.

And when I say there have only been two f3+ and over tornadoes in Davidson county, I really shouldn't include the "+" because there have never been any f4's and f5's in Davidson county in 64 years of recorded history. ;)

There wasn't one in Southern Maryland either. Until there was one in 2002 (F4).

Average salaries there are equivocal to the salaries here. I'm trying to wrap my head around that economy supporting real estate costs that are approximately double what they are here, at least from what I can tell. Maybe more like 1.7x more on average.

Average salaries there are equivocal to the salaries here. I'm trying to wrap my head around that economy supporting real estate costs that are approximately double what they are here, at least from what I can tell. Maybe more like 1.7x more on average.

That surprises me, I don't recall feeling the houses were at all overpriced when we were looking. Perhaps its the area you're looking in? Franklin is considered a more expensive area to live, in large part due to the schools.

Property taxes may also be a factor. I pay a third of what I paid in NY for a much larger house/yard.

All about the property taxes I'd guess.  In WNY, $200k house = $8000 a year (~$4500 school, ~$2000 county, ~$1500 town/village).  Whack that to $2500 and you have an extra $450 per month to put towards a mortgage.  That's about $75k of house.

Best of luck on the move. TN is hot.  I've had 2, soon to be 4, friends from ROC make that move over last year or so.  One got a gig in Nashville Symphony Orchestra.  They are loving it down there.

Might be an interesting offshoot for the discussion: how many out there have successfully resisted the urge to "bail," for lack of a better word, to the latest trendy spot? Is there something to be said for being self-actualized and not needing that sexy zip code?

I've felt that wanderlust and tug in recent years since my family obligations here have ended. I've pretty much decided to make a stand. Easier for me — I only have to support myself and an obese diabetic cat. The changes I'd like to make in my life aren't dependent on where I live. Change yourself, not your address sort of thing. But I've done a lot of thinking to reach that conclusion, and I wouldn't blame anyone for adopting the "change of scenery is good" approach.

Sometimes it just seems a lot more shallow than that though. Some place "looks nice" and a lot of other people are moving there, so I'll move there.

It probably comes down to what you value. As challenging as living in rural northern PA can be, with all the attendant issues of the Rust Belt and Appalachia, it's a wonderful mecca for outdoor recreation. The sense of history, heritage, community and a distinct local culture are strong. Home is home.

I wish everyone happiness and health (edit:good, that is!) wherever life takes them, or they take their life.

Edited by PASabreFan

Might be an interesting offshoot for the discussion: how many out there have successfully resisted the urge to "bail," for lack of a better word, to the latest trendy spot? Is there something to be said for being self-actualized and not needing that sexy zip code?

I've felt that wanderlust and tug in recent years since my family obligations here have ended. I've pretty much decided to make a stand. Easier for me — I only have to support myself and an obese diabetic cat. The changes I'd like to make in my life aren't dependent on where I live. Change yourself, not your address sort of thing. But I've done a lot of thinking to reach that conclusion, and I wouldn't blame anyone for adopting the "change of scenery is good" approach.

Sometimes it just seems a lot more shallow than that though. Some place "looks nice" and a lot of other people are moving there, so I'll move there.

It probably comes down to what you value. As challenging as living in rural northern PA can be, with all the attendant issues of the Rust Belt and Appalachia, it's a wonderful mecca for outdoor recreation. The sense of history, heritage, community and a distinct local culture are strong. Home is home.

I wish everyone happiness and health (edit:good, that is!) wherever life takes them, or they take their life.

Sometimes you gotta go where the job is. It took me damned near 4yrs to adequately replace the job I lost. Options besides the patience of Job were: accept a reduced standard of living, go back to school at the age of 48, or find a sexy zipcode for my line of work.

Self-actualization had nothing to do with my not relocating. I was simply too stubborn to give up.

I've been looking to move for a couple of years. Speaking for myself, I don't look at it as 'bailing', I look at it as an opportunity to add more enjoyment in my life. I've been here more than long enough to know the pros and cons, and for what I am looking for the cons far outweigh the pros. While the pros are pretty substantial, the cons are winning. Like you said, it's all about what I value. Some people are fortunate enough to be in the situation where they can up and move without much hassle; some can't. Some like to be in the trendy hot spot, i.e. Austin, TX. Some do it for the weather, some do it for the $$$.

I'm curious what others value when deciding where to move. I put my search on hold for a few months for a couple of reasons but will probably pick back up as summer rolls around. Personally, I have a list of several cities in which I'd consider based on three things...... mountains, big city life and climate. I don't have any kids so I don't care about schools, I don't care about the types of people that inhabit said cities because political leanings mean nothing to me. Of course finding places to live that match all three of those factors is impossible, balancing them is key. 

Again, I don't mind expanding the topic, there's only so much information one can share related to me specifically. 

For myself, I never really wanted to move back here and stay in the first place.  I have moved from here twice.  Once was indeed a mistake, but not a superficial one.  We stayed because of family and because we had kids and it was convenient.  Using PA's terminology, it could be argued, and I would assert, that we have denied ourselves the ability to fully "self-actualize" by staying here. 

....edited because I'm a doosh.

Edited by SiZzlEmeIsTEr

Again, I don't mind expanding the topic, there's only so much information one can share related to me specifically.  However, starting the greater discussion of why one would move out of state from the position that it's superficial and "bailing" is intellectually dishonest and inherently confrontational.  That's ridiculous and unnecessary.

For myself, I never really wanted to move back here and stay in the first place.  I have moved from here twice.  Once was indeed a mistake, but not a superficial one.  We stayed because of family and because we had kids and it was convenient.  Using PA's terminology, it could be argued, and I would assert, that we have denied ourselves the ability to fully "self-actualize" by staying here. 

And regarding the "trendy" matter, Buffalo is slowly becoming a "trendy" destination for those interested in moving into the Northeast. 

No, your response is ridiculous and unnecessary and distortive. I see nothing to correct. My post wasn't about you. People do move for superficial reasons. "The weather's nice" is a big one. Meanwhile people are trading snow for hurricanes, wildfires, droughts and tornadoes. Not everyone is as sophisticated as you are.

No, your response is ridiculous and unnecessary and distortive. I see nothing to correct. My post wasn't about you. People do move for superficial reasons. "The weather's nice" is a big one. Meanwhile people are trading snow for hurricanes, wildfires, droughts and tornadoes. Not everyone is as sophisticated as you are.

What exactly would you consider an non-superficial reason to move? (I'd like to hear this answer most of all) We have 9 months of summer down here, 2 months of summer lite, and a handful of days where I might need to wear sweatpants. The majority of summer I can sweat through a shirt just by sitting under a tree. Would it be superficial for me to move to North Carolina because the weather is nice?

I will blame PA for, perhaps, not writing his post in a more neutral manner, but I will blame myself more for reading too quick while trying to work.

But, I would like to apologize to PA for misconstruing the objective of his post...

I'm guilty of doing this too much, reading too fast, and I thinking I understood what I read. I try to teach my kids not to do this very thing.

After re-reading his post a few times, I see that PA is only trying take that angle AS one facet. He is not accusing all people of being that way. He is musing over that particular type of motivation.

And, I agree it is an interesting angle in itself, although, I contend it applies to a small proportion of people.

------

By contrast, I guess since the thread is already derailing, I'd like to see the list of superficial reasons, other than saying the destination is "trendy".

And hippies moving to San Francisco thanks to Scott McKenzie isn't good enough.

Edited by SiZzlEmeIsTEr

sizzle, the post wasn't about you. Hence the word "offshoot." I haven't really followed the thread, so, no, it wasn't inspired by discussion of your move.

What exactly would you consider an non-superficial reason to move? (I'd like to hear this answer most of all) We have 9 months of summer down here, 2 months of summer lite, and a handful of days where I might need to wear sweatpants. The majority of summer I can sweat through a shirt just by sitting under a tree. Would it be superficial for me to move to North Carolina because the weather is nice?

To be closer to family? For an educational or economic opportunity that isn't possible where you are? Weather, "it looks nice," girls! sun! (for some younger guys I knew back in the day), so and so went there and likes it, even saving some money on taxes... sorry, those are superficial reasons to me.

sizzle, the post wasn't about you. Hence the word "offshoot." I haven't really followed the thread, so, no, it wasn't inspired by discussion of your move.

Yes, I got that. I just stumbled over how you put it together, and it read to me like an umbrella accusation. Sorry. I should know to read posts thrice if they get me riled up the first time.

In my defense, the replies you got prior to mine confirmed what I thought I had read.

Edited by SiZzlEmeIsTEr

To be closer to family? For an educational or economic opportunity that isn't possible where you are? Weather, "it looks nice," girls! sun! (for some younger guys I knew back in the day), so and so went there and likes it, even saving some money on taxes... sorry, those are superficial reasons to me.

To me, 'superficial' means moving into an area, or to a new neighborhood simply because it's expensive and you want to impress your peers. Superficial, to me, means doing something only because you're concerned with how it makes you look to others. Moving to a new location because of the weather, or because of sun and girls makes that person happier. Isn't that what our goal in life is about, being happy? I have a job and I have place to live so I'm not about to hunt down the perfect job despite the location and move there because of the career potential. I'm going to look for a job in the locations I prefer because that's what makes me happy. I love the mountains, I love hiking, I love waterfalls and I love a big city....... even if it means moving away from family. Life's too short to wait until retirement to move to someplace you enjoy. If that makes me sound superficial, so be it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.