Sabres Shooting Percentage: Bound to Rise, or Product of Current Play?

That Aud Smell

As far as their poor shooting % goes...  the stat you want to look at is PDO.    Over the season, PDO's gravitate toward 100, meaning your team shooting percentage is generally on par with your opponents shooting %.

Last season the team with the worst PDO was CAR at 97.1%, the best was NYR at 101.7%.. not much variance.    BUF was 8th from the bottom at 99.5%.     So far this season, BUF is 2nd worst at 93.5% even though they have more offensive talent than they did last season.    What does this mean?  As we progress through the season, that number will self-correct, meaning we'll start seeing more pucks go in and fewer against, which will translate to more wins..... eventually?      

The players union will fight that tooth and nail under the guise of protecting players, even if smaller pads could prove to be just as safe. It would be easier to just make the nets bigger.

Why would the players union fight it?  Don't they want to score more goals as well (make more $ for their players)?     I could see where the goalies might complain, but unless they have their own union, they're only a small % of the players.

Edited by pi2000

As far as their poor shooting % goes...  the stat you want to look at is PDO.    Over the season, PDO's gravitate toward 100, meaning your team shooting percentage is generally on par with your opponents shooting %.

Last season the team with the worst PDO was CAR at 97.1%, the best was NYR at 101.7%.. not much variance.    BUF was 8th from the bottom at 99.5%.     So far this season, BUF is 2nd worst at 93.5% even though they have more offensive talent than they did last season.    What does this mean?  As we progress through the season, that number will self-correct, meaning we'll start seeing more pucks go in and fewer against, which will translate to more wins..... eventually?      

Why would the players union fight it?  Don't they want to score more goals as well (make more $ for their players)?     I could see where the goalies might complain, but unless they have their own union, they're only a small % of the players.

Under the illusion of safety if nothing else. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease and I imagine goalies would be screaming to high hell if they were told their pads were too big and they had to change. They'd complain about making the nets bigger too, but they wouldn't have the safety argument to fall back on whatsoever. It seems like an easier and overdue fix anyway. The goals are too small. Even if the pads thinned down somewhat the goalies are getting bigger and taller. I'm tired of seeing these 6'6" Scandinavian dudes who can block the entire bottom foot to foot and a half of the net just by dropping into the butterfly. Make the nets wider and taller.

Edited by Drunkard

Under the illusion of safety if nothing else. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease and I imagine goalies would be screaming to high hell if they were told their pads were too big and they had to change. They'd complain about making the nets bigger too, but they wouldn't have the safety argument to fall back on whatsoever. It seems like an easier and overdue fix anyway. The goals are too small. Even if the pads thinned down somewhat the goalies are getting bigger and taller. I'm tired of seeing these 6'6" Scandinavian dudes who can block the entire bottom foot to foot and a half of the net just by dropping into the butterfly. Make the nets wider and taller.

The pads can be the same thickness, they just need to fit properly and not make a 160lb player look like he's 325lbs.    

This is just ridiculous....  his pads are up to his ears. 

henrik-lundqvist-perfect-hair.jpg

..and look at how oversized Bernier's goal pants are....

ryan_miller_10.jpg

The padding can be nice and thick, but make the pants and chest protector more form fitting so it's not sticking up 6 inches above their neck line.    

hirsch.jpg

The pads can be the same thickness, they just need to fit properly and not make a 160lb player look like he's 325lbs.    

This is just ridiculous....  his pads are up to his ears. 

henrik-lundqvist-perfect-hair.jpg

..and look at how oversized Bernier's goal pants are....

ryan_miller_10.jpg

The padding can be nice and thick, but make the pants and chest protector more form fitting so it's not sticking up 6 inches above their neck line.    

hirsch.jpg

I still don't see how that would help goal scoring as much as making the net bigger. The fact that going into the butterfly can block the entire bottom of the net does more to hurt scoring than the size of Bernier's pants or Lundqvist's shoulder pads and chest protector.

Making the net bigger, depending on how you do it, might be a bigger safety concern.  The crossbar gets any higher and you'll see a bunch of guys take pucks to the general head and face area on a more and more frequent basis.   They'd have to insert a handball-style crease, nobody but the goalie goes in. 

Making it wider and leaving it at that would, I suppose, cancel that concern out.  Not sure it's workable, IMHO.

I still don't see how that would help goal scoring as much as making the net bigger. The fact that going into the butterfly can block the entire bottom of the net does more to hurt scoring than the size of Bernier's pants or Lundqvist's shoulder pads and chest protector.

Dropping the height of their pads would prevent them from being able to cover post-to-post.  I think it was last season, I posted a picture of Tom Barrasso when he played for Buffalo and again when he was on P-burghs Stanley Cup run.  Even then, the difference in pad height was considerable.  The top part of the pads are not secured to their thigh so when they butterfly that portion of the pad drops to cover 5 hole.  Eliminate that portion of the pad and only the very tallest goalies would be able to cover post-to-post.  

I think that dropping pad height to late 80's levels would be the single biggest change the NHL could make to increase scoring.

I grew up playing in the 80's and 90's,high school through college and a year of minor league in florida... I still play competitive mens league and it's much much more difficult to score 1-on-1 vs the goalie simply because of the size of their equipment.    

It used to be that if the goalie was butterfly style you could shoot up top.   If he was stand up, shoot 5 hole or under the blocker/glove.     These days, every goalie is putting up high 900 sv % because all they have to do is learn how to cover angles as a butterfly goalie.    You don't need to be as athletic as the top goaltenders were in the 80s and early 90s.    Just wear massive gear and hope the puck hits you vs tracking the puck and stretching out to make saves.    The giant chest protectors take away so much of the top of the net, especially with bigger goalies.    

Just look at how bad it's gotten....

WarriorG2Chest_0201.jpg

Is all that necessary?    The size of those arms and the height above the neck line isn't for protection, it's to take away space.   Get rid of that stuff, make it more form fitting and give them tighter jerseys.    This will open up way more of the top the net.   If all you do is increase size of the nets the goalies are gonna end up looking like this....

cheatpads.png

The modern NHL has become a game of just throwing pucks at the net through a crowd and hope it hits something or goes in by chance.   That's not going to make the game more popular.    In the 80s and 90s you had guys flying up and down the ice end to end shooting and scoring for all areas of the ice.    Now it's just, dump in, retrieve puck, send to the point throw at the net, wash rinse repeat.... it's not as fun to watch as a fan.    If you make the goalie smaller by reducing the size of ALL their equipment, then you have better shooting %'s from other areas of the ice and the game changes drastically.  

I grew up playing in the 80's and 90's,high school through college and a year of minor league in florida... I still play competitive mens league and it's much much more difficult to score 1-on-1 vs the goalie simply because of the size of their equipment.

It used to be that if the goalie was butterfly style you could shoot up top. If he was stand up, shoot 5 hole or under the blocker/glove. These days, every goalie is putting up high 900 sv % because all they have to do is learn how to cover angles as a butterfly goalie. You don't need to be as athletic as the top goaltenders were in the 80s and early 90s. Just wear massive gear and hope the puck hits you vs tracking the puck and stretching out to make saves. The giant chest protectors take away so much of the top of the net, especially with bigger goalies.

Just look at how bad it's gotten....

WarriorG2Chest_0201.jpg

Is all that necessary? The size of those arms and the height above the neck line isn't for protection, it's to take away space. Get rid of that stuff, make it more form fitting and give them tighter jerseys. This will open up way more of the top the net. If all you do is increase size of the nets the goalies are gonna end up looking like this....

cheatpads.png

The modern NHL has become a game of just throwing pucks at the net through a crowd and hope it hits something or goes in by chance. That's not going to make the game more popular. In the 80s and 90s you had guys flying up and down the ice end to end shooting and scoring for all areas of the ice. Now it's just, dump in, retrieve puck, send to the point throw at the net, wash rinse repeat.... it's not as fun to watch as a fan. If you make the goalie smaller by reducing the size of ALL their equipment, then you have better shooting %'s from other areas of the ice and the game changes drastically.

I understand all that but you're living in a fantasy world if you think they are going to turn back the clock on equipment advances. They are not gonna be able to get goalies to wear smaller pads. It just won't happen. They can trump up the safety issue or increased chance at injury or threats of lawsuits. Every sport is trending towards increasing safety and doing things to make sports safer. They aren't going to make any decisions that can even remotely be misconstrued as making things less safe for any players. Yes back in the 80's and 90's they wore smaller pads but back in the 70's most players didn't even wear helmets and if you go back a little further the goalies didn't even wear them. You're fighting a losing battle that will never happen but they could get the same effect with bigger nets and no backlash from a safety standpoint. Edited by Drunkard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.