RIP Van Miller 1927-2015

Doohickie

It is really interesting how much age impacts your memory in something like this. I think of Van as the Voice of the Braves plus an afternoon radio man, the host of It's Academic and Bowling for Dollars. I then looked at the years - he was off the Bills from my age 9-17, I haven't resided in Buffalo since 1980.

This call jumped back into my memory when I started thinking about Van. Yup, of course I have it on an old cassette tape, ya know, the ones that they warn you about going hinky from age. Still plays perfectly.

This was the season after Wide Right and Scott Norwood's decline was continuing. It would be his last season. The Bills were 11-2 and flew out to LA for a rematch with the Raiders just before Christmas. Not much was going right as they trailed by 13 heading into the fourth. Norwood had missed an extra point and two gimmie field goals.

Text for those who want to read it in Van's voice. Audio, too, at the end. Of all the great calls, I think this is the one I'll always go back to. Shove it, glitz, Rust Belt's gonna have another Merry Christmas!

---

Scott Norwood is about to try, we'll call it a 42 yard field goal. It may be 41, we're gonna call it 42

Raiders have another timeout, I don't think they'll use it here, I think they feel, well, they've let him think about it long enough.

He's kicking it off the left hash mark as the Bills look downfield toward those… lime yellow goalposts

No wind, the flag is hanging limp on the rim of the fabled Coliseum

There haven't been too many more dramatic moments in this arena

Here we go

Norwood is ready. Reich is ready. Lingner is ready to snap it back

The crowd is roaring. It's 27 all in overtime, in the twilight of Southern California

Waiting for The Kick

The snap, in the air, long enough, and it is good! And the Bills have won it! Scott Norwood goes from goat to hero with a 42 yard field goal!

The Bills have won it in storybook fashion here in the land of glitz

What a win for the Bills, 30 to 27

van.mp3

Edited by PASabreFan

This call jumped back into my memory when I started thinking about Van. Yup, of course I have it on an old cassette tape, ya know, the ones that they warn you about going hinky from age. Still plays perfectly.

This was the season after Wide Right and Scott Norwood's decline was continuing. It would be his last season. The Bills were 11-2 and flew out to LA for a rematch with the Raiders just before Christmas. Not much was going right as they trailed by 13 heading into the fourth. Norwood had missed an extra point and two gimmie field goals.

Text for those who want to read it in Van's voice. Audio, too, at the end. Of all the great calls, I think this is the one I'll always go back to. Shove it, glitz, Rust Belt's gonna have another Merry Christmas!

---

Scott Norwood is about to try, we'll call it a 42 yard field goal. It may be 41, we're gonna call it 42

Raiders have another timeout, I don't think they'll use it here, I think they feel, well, they've let him think about it long enough.

He's kicking it off the left hash mark as the Bills look downfield toward those… lime yellow goalposts

Here we go

The crowd is roaring. It's 27 all in overtime, in the twilight of Southern California

Waiting for The Kick

The snap, in the air, long enough, and it is good! And the Bills have won it! Scott Norwood goes from goat to hero with a 42 yard field goal!

attachicon.gifvan.mp3

Awesome.  Thanks.

When you think of Buffalo, Van is one of the first people that comes to mind.

His calls were emblematic of the hopes and aspirations of the town. When

he said "Wide right," you could've heard a pin drop in the entire city. No

matter, it was a glorious run and Van Miller was a classic announcer we

were blessed to have represent us. Here's how it should've ended.

Rest in peace Van.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOWgcPyaq4U

Edited by 716

---

Here we go

Waiting for The Kick

attachicon.gifvan.mp3

You know what's crazy about that? I don't think I've ever heard that call before, but I know exactly what it sounds like from the way you wrote it out. Great job by you, and of course by Van.

Text for those who want to read it in Van's voice. Audio, too, at the end. Of all the great calls, I think this is the one I'll always go back to. Shove it, glitz, Rust Belt's gonna have another Merry Christmas!

---

Here we go

Waiting for The Kick

attachicon.gifvan.mp3

One, awesome and thank you.

Two, the same to several others.

Edited by Neo

When you think of Buffalo, Van is one of the first people that comes to mind.

His calls were emblematic of the hopes and aspirations of the town. When

he said "Wide right," you could've heard a pin drop in the entire city. No

matter, it was a glorious run and Van Miller was a classic announcer we

were blessed to have represent us. Here's how it should've ended.

Rest in peace Van.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOWgcPyaq4U

He also went on to say, "It's only a game," mentioning the real game that was going on in the Middle East at the time. Van actually said later in life that's what he wanted on his "condo" at the cemetery: "It's only a game."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.