The "Holland Tulip"

Please forgive me for starting a new topic, but given our Moderator's confidence in a specific new Sabres coach being named in the next 72 hours, and the palpitations coming from the airwaves which procure 85% of their revenue off of Terry Pegula.......maybe it is time to focus on the leading candidate who is said to be better than 50/50.

I'm not sure how familiar people are with the Tulip Mania that was centered around Holland back in the day. I probably only am familiar with it so deeply because of my background, but long story short.....a flower that was native and common in another region suddenly became available to a new region. The forces alligned, and people were so amazed by the pretty colors and novelty of this flower that they started selling their possesions, livestock, and homes....just for a chance to get this "special" flower.

In a matter of a few years, people came to their senses and realized that a tulip wasn't worth a life of saving, but nothing more than a common onion.

Holland had built up The Tulip......the masses bought into the idea it was special.....and the richest of the rich walked away even richer.

http://www.investopedia.com/features/crashes/crashes2.asp

Don't get Dutch Ovened.......learn about The "Holland Tulip"

Please forgive me for starting a new topic, but given our Moderator's confidence in a specific new Sabres coach being named in the next 72 hours, and the palpitations coming from the airwaves which procure 85% of their revenue off of Terry Pegula.......maybe it is time to focus on the leading candidate who is said to be better than 50/50.

I'm not sure how familiar people are with the Tulip Mania that was centered around Holland back in the day. I probably only am familiar with it so deeply because of my background, but long story short.....a flower that was native and common in another region suddenly became available to a new region. The forces alligned, and people were so amazed by the pretty colors and novelty of this flower that they started selling their possesions, livestock, and homes....just for a chance to get this "special" flower.

In a matter of a few years, people came to their senses and realized that a tulip wasn't worth a life of saving, but nothing more than a common onion.

Holland had built up The Tulip......the masses bought into the idea it was special.....and the richest of the rich walked away even richer.

Is it a coincidence that the Wings GM is named Holland?  Is this story really about him vice Pegula?

All the Pegula love in every thread? I know, right?

Actually no one is really talking about it him that much. Just a few posters like yourself. You talk about him way more than anyone else.

You have become so biased and your perspective is so off, it's infortunatly pointless to engage in conversation about him with you. If you dialed it back a little, you'd be more effective.

Actually no one is really talking about it him that much. Just a few posters like yourself. You talk about him way more than anyone else.

You have become so biased and your perspective is so off, it's infortunatly pointless to engage in conversation about him with you. If you dialed it back a little, you'd be more effective.

I've dialed it way back. I could have reasonably ripped him every day the last two seasons for subjecting us to garbage on ice but didn't.

My point is that this board likes to selectively decry "agendas" and "narratives" and "beating a dead horse," but only when you disagree with it. The biggest agenda here is still trying to prove that Terry is the owner we thought we were getting in 2011, and fitting everything that happens into that narrative. Hearing how wonderful the Pegulas are and that's why Babcock will come here just put me over the edge. Sorry.

Look, the point that people would be wrong to welcome Babcock as a saviour is well-taken. 

But this Holland Tulip thing would work better if Babcock was just a pretty onion, rather than one of the better, more proven coaches in the league.

If we get him we will overpay and there is no guarantee he will be the right guy for the job.

But his salary will have little to no impact on the team, and no coach comes with a guarantee.

It would be nice to get one with a track record.

The idea that he won't meet expectations is reasonable.

The idea that he will bankrupt the franchise is laughable.

Edited by dudacek

All the Pegula love in every thread? I know, right?

So if the Sabres sign Babcock it is a failure?

And if they don't sign Babcock, that too, is a failure? 

What exactly would you like to see, PA? 

Which way would you like to see them fail?  :P

Preference? 

Except this it isn't a commodity market. It is one guy. 

Vickrey Auction would be more appropriate. There is no speculation in an auction. The final price is the price. 

I've dialed it way back. I could have reasonably ripped him every day the last two seasons for subjecting us to garbage on ice but didn't.

My point is that this board likes to selectively decry "agendas" and "narratives" and "beating a dead horse," but only when you disagree with it. The biggest agenda here is still trying to prove that Terry is the owner we thought we were getting in 2011, and fitting everything that happens into that narrative. Hearing how wonderful the Pegulas are and that's why Babcock will come here just put me over the edge. Sorry.

Do you realize your "dialing back" is comparing a bubble burst when so many people bought something it became devalued and somehow comparing that to the sabres pursuing a top 5 consensus coach and mixing in some pegula blame in there?

How in the world do you expect anyone to take you seriously.  The analogy makes no sense.  Why don't you try and explain in logic, why this is a bad thing and how it has to do with pegula?  We need an owner who can afford a big contract to get a top coach, we have that, some other teams don't.  What is your issue?  Pick a posiition, if we miss out, is that a bad thing.  If we get him, is that a bad thing.  Which one makes pegula look worse?  Instead of always being captain hindsight and blaming pegula for everything, and being captain foresight and blaming pegula for every possible outcome.  Pick a position, and say why it would be bad and what pegula has to do with it. 

Edited by Vlad Dangerslakov

Do you realize your "dialing back" is comparing a bubble burst when so many people bought something it became devalued and somehow comparing that to the sabres pursuing a top 5 consensus coach and mixing in some pegula blame in there?

How in the world do you expect anyone to take you seriously.  The analogy makes no sense.  Why don't you try and explain in logic, why this is a bad thing and how it has to do with pegula?  We need an owner who can afford a big contract to get a top coach, we have that, some other teams don't.  What is your issue?  Pick a posiition, if we miss out, is that a bad thing.  If we get him, is that a bad thing.  Which one makes pegula look worse?  Instead of always being captain hindsight and blaming pegula for everything, and being captain foresight and blaming pegula for every possible outcome.  Pick a position, and say why it would be bad and what pegula has to do with it. 

I'm not the OP. Drops mic and walks off...

So if the Sabres sign Babcock it is a failure?

And if they don't sign Babcock, that too, is a failure? 

What exactly would you like to see, PA? 

Which way would you like to see them fail?  :P

And another one making no sense.

I've taken no stand on Babcock, except that I don't think we get him. It would be a great coup.

I was wayyyy out front on blaming Pegula. Almost from Day One. Was I wrong?

According to anyone but you, yes. It's easy to blame someone, and take no stance, then after the fact twist it. So are you saying pegula has no influence over the coach hunt? If not that's fine but no meddling crap afterwards. Does he have an influence? That's fine, but don't get annoyed if we get who want and people credit pegula some.

According to anyone but you, yes. It's easy to blame someone, and take no stance, then after the fact twist it. So are you saying pegula has no influence over the coach hunt? If not that's fine but no meddling crap afterwards. Does he have an influence? That's fine, but don't get annoyed if we get who want and people credit pegula some.

There are two issues. How we want things to work and how they actually work. I want the GM to pick the coach. If Tim wants Richardson he should have him. Terry should only be involved if his involvement is needed by the GM. "Hey, Terry, this guy's on the fence. Why don't you whip up some of your famous jambalaya and have Mike and Babs over to the yacht?"

But I'm naive to think that's the way it's going to work. If Terry wants Babcock and gets him, I'll give him credit. I won't be unhappy. Just surprised. I don't think it'll be because the Pegulas are so warm. Other owners and owner's wives are warm. The Pegulas are not special snowflakes.

Now, if Babcock goes elsewhere, the deal is I am also free to say, well, maybe Babcock didn't like the cut of this owner's jib or the way he's owned the team.

I totally misunderstood the intention of this thread. I thought Ghost went to the Netherlands and came back with some, you know, "pointers." I just assumed the "Holland Tulip" was a European improvement on something out of the Kama Sutra. 

Edited by K-9

That's why I asked your preference. You'd like to see him in Buffalo. 

I wasn't sure. 

I think I'd be crazy not to. That said, I can't do the sophisticated analysis that others do about whether he's the right fit and so on. But Ghost is pretty much the only person raising the question of fit. I think it's what we do here as a quasi team of rivals. Someone had to raise it.

I totally misunderstood the intention of this thread. I thought Ghost went to the Netherlands and came back with some, you know, "pointers." I just assumed the "Holland Tulip" was a European improvement on something out of the Kama Sutra. 

I want to see the Bogosian Begonia.

That's not going to happen with Lindy Sr. behind the bench.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.