Flames ship blueliner Lydman to Sabres

IKnowPhysics

http://www.sabres.com/newsarchive.cfm?id=93

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=134549

It's something.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_bio.asp...447&hubname=CGY

Looks after his own zone first and foremost but also possesses some offensive ability. Can join the rush and move the puck up ice quickly. Rarely gets caught out of position and is an outstanding skater.

Doesn't produce enough points for his skill level. Needs to avoid more concussion woes. Still lacks consistency.

Career potential:  Top four defenseman.

Flames ship blueliner Lydman to Sabres

TSN.ca Staff

8/25/2005 4:53:39 PM

The Calgary Flames announced Thursday that the team has traded defenceman Toni Lydman to the Buffalo Sabres for a third round choice in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

Lydman and his $1.9 million salary became expendable for the Flames to stay in a manageable position below the NHL's $39 million US salary cap.

He played all 289 career games with Calgary, scoring 19 goals and 93 points.

Me, I like the trade. It seems to me that it is a typical Darcy Regier trade. He does a good job with the 2nd (and 3rd liners). He just has difficulty with the top liners (Hasek, Peca, etc., etc.).

I heard a rumor on WGR (no, I don't know why I was listening, at least Dohopp and the Bullfrog weren't on, so I could listen) that someone was speculating that this was a precursor trade to getting Aaron Miller from the Kings for Biron. Don't know if I would like that trade as Miller is getting long in the tooth and has been injury prone.

Are there any teams out there with 2 stud defensemen and a bunch of 4th liners, that would trade 1 for 2 or 3 of our guys and a goalie not named Miller? (Unfortunately I know the answer to that question.) Right now, the d seems a little crowded with no obvious #1, although I think Numminen and Kalinen would be a good 2nd pair on most teams. We also have: McKee, Fitzpatrick, Jillson, Lydman, and Tallinder who are probably #4 or #5 quality d's and Campbell and Janik (and perhaps Patrick if he decides not to retire).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dave.

I heard a rumor on WGR (no, I don't know why I was listening, at least Dohopp and the Bullfrog weren't on, so I could listen) that someone was speculating that this was a precursor trade to getting Aaron Miller from the Kings for Biron. Don't know if I would like that trade as Miller is getting long in the tooth and has been injury prone.

That was Jeremy White, checking in with Brad. Didn't mention his source.

Guest rona_DC

:huh: let's think this thru...Darcy decides to pass on Miro's 30 goals and 4 M in salary and uses it on two Euro d-men; a 37 year-old (Nummien) (sp) and a young vet (Lydman) that most of dont know (and never heard of). These two guys equate to Miro's salary. From what I've heard, Aucoin chose Chi over Buff - same offer ? This new guy makes more then McKee by 200-300k.

I too had never heard of him - but that's not necessarily a bad thing for a D-man.

Anyway, here's what it said in the 2003-04 issue of The Sports Forecaster hockey yearbook:

"A fluid skater, Lydman has all the tools to be an above-average two-way rearguard. The Finnish blueliner has good size, mobility and strength, but tends to hang back in his own zone rather than take risks in the offensive end of the ice. Like most young defensemen, Lydman is prone to inconsistency and bad decisions. He needs to limit his mistakes since his offensive upside may have already reached a plateau. Looking Ahead: Lydman is a big key to the Flames' future. The club will continue to rely on his ability to log important minutes in game situations."

I like this move. Gave up a 3rd rounder in '06. Might not be the top prize but he played very solid in the Finals against TB in '04.

I still think the Sabres are manuvering here with another deal. Not necessarily using the Lydman acquire, but working on something else. Lets shore up the GOALIE situation please!!!!!

OK Darcy - you're alive - thank you!

I like the pick up. I have heard of him as had him on my Roto Hockey team a few years ago. The profile from IKnowPhysicsmakes him sound like younger/bigger Zhitnik but think Zhitnik a little better defensively. Most of the Flames fans seem upset with only getting a 3rd according to this Flames' message board My two concerns are that Lydman is due to be an UFA after this season (per the Flames board) and his TSN profile mentions a concussion problem.

A top 4 of Kalinin, Nummenin, McKee, and Lydman should be solid, but nothing spectacular. We need solid seasons from Tallinder and Jillson and our D won't be a liability. We need two of the young forwards to step up and make an impact. There are a lot of ifs, but this team could be decent.

A top 4 of Kalinin, Nummenin, McKee, and Lydman should be solid, but nothing spectacular. We need solid seasons from Tallinder and Jillson and our D won't be a liability. We need two of the young forwards to step up and make an impact. There are a lot of ifs, but this team could be decent.

agreed

i invision that this team could sneak into the playoffs on the #7 or #8 spot

Right. If one of our goalies truly emerges this season, plays very well, and the things mentioned above (Tallinder/Jillson ; two young forward snipers) we could very well sneak in the coveted playoffs. Long shot, but hey, the season hasn't even started yet!

I'm just so freakin' pumped to see some hockey again!!

A top 4 of Kalinin, Nummenin, McKee, and Lydman should be solid, but nothing spectacular.  We need solid seasons from Tallinder and Jillson and our D won't be a liability.  We need two of the young forwards to step up and make an impact.  There are a lot of ifs, but this team could be decent.

Disagreed.

What does it say about our defense when 2 of our top 4 d-men are a guy that no one else wanted and a guy that was a fifth or sixth defenseman on another team.

Disagreed.

What does it say about our defense when 2 of our top 4 d-men are a guy that no one else wanted and a guy that was a fifth or sixth defenseman on another team.

Numminen had offers from Phoenix and Dallas, so to say that no one wanted him is a stretch. I've been reading a lot from Flames fans about Lydman lately and it's all been good. That's all I really have to go by, but he should be able to step up and be one of our top 4. Things look a lot better on the blue line now than they did just yesterday.

I live in Western Canada and saw the Flames a fair bit. He was the QB on Calgary's PP until injured. He was considered their top defenceman. I haven't seen him play much as much as I would have liked due to injury, but CBC continually pointed out how sorely he was missed by the Flames during their play-offs in 2004.

He became expendable because Calgary has built a strong, young defence primarily through the draft or draft pick trades. Regehr, Leopold and more I can't remember now. Didn't they just sign Hamrlik too?

Lydman should be a nice addition. Nothing to get too excited about, just a solid player.

This trade could quite possibly work out for the sabres, Toni Lydman for the most part is a solid two way defenseman and if not they only risked a third round pick to get him

"Solid"? Really?

He has averaged 23 points over for seasons and is a career -16 with only 1 GW goal. Could you explain what part of his game is solid. I would like to know what standards you are using?

Didn't the Flames make it to the Finals last season? Why did he only play in 5 games? Did he get injured? Or, did he get benched?

The Sabre "Budget" will be 27-29 million. 4 over the floor and and 10 under the cap. They will be the lowest payroll in the league. They should change their name to the Kansas City Royals.

Guest Guest_Flame
Could you explain what part of his game is solid. I would like to know what standards you are using?

I Am from Calgary and i will tell you that Toni Lydman will be extremely missed around here. He was considered one of our top defenseman. And true he doesnt put up the stunning numbers. But he anchored our power play and was sorely missed during our cup run. True, he can be inconsistent, but hey, who isn't? He will be a valuable player for the Sabres down the stretch, just as he was here. And i read around this board and see many other people approve of this trade and think he is a solid player as well...

EDIT BY MOD: This poster is posting from an IP that is in Virginia. Take it for what it's worth.

"Solid"? Really?

He has averaged 23 points over for seasons and is a career -16 with only 1 GW goal. Could you explain what part of his game is solid. I would like to know what standards you are using?

Didn't the Flames make it to the Finals last season? Why did he only play in 5 games? Did he get injured? Or, did he get benched?

The Sabre "Budget" will be 27-29 million. 4 over the floor and and 10 under the cap. They will be the lowest payroll in the league. They should change their name to the Kansas City Royals.

In the last 3 seasons:

Zhitnik - points per season 27, -19, almost 33 years old, 89 PIMs, 3.5 million a year

Lydman - points per season 24, -9, almost 28 years old, 37 PIMs, 1.9 million a year

For Zhitnik's career, he is -50 and does average a few more points per season.

I bet you blasted Darcy for letting Zhitnik go, and now that he has a cheaper, younger, faster, and smarter version of him, you blast him.

Disagreed.

The Flames have one of the best D's in the league. Toni would've been their #5 d-men, but that's not because he's a slouch. The Flames just decided that couldn't pay the fifth guy $1.9 million.

Nice pickup if he can stay away from any more concussions.

Archived