Flames ship blueliner Lydman to Sabres

IKnowPhysics

In the last 3 seasons:

Zhitnik - points per season 27, -19, almost 33 years old, 89 PIMs, 3.5 million a year

Lydman - points per season 24, -9, almost 28 years old, 37 PIMs, 1.9 million a year

For Zhitnik's career, he is -50 and does average a few more points per season.

I bet you blasted Darcy for letting Zhitnik go, and now that he has a cheaper, younger, faster, and smarter version of him, you blast him.

Not to make you look silly.

Z played 30-35 minutes a game against the leagues top lines.

What's his name wasn't even good enough to crack the Flames playoff roster on a nightly basis.

This was nothing more that the Flames dumping 2 million of bad salary onto the Sabres.

It's why the Flames will be in the playoffs and Sabres will be sitting home.

The Flames have one of the best D's in the league. Toni would've been their #5 d-men, but that's not because he's a slouch. The Flames just decided that couldn't pay the fifth guy $1.9 million.

Nice pickup if he can stay away from any more concussions.

Did you say "concussions"? LOL LOL LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest toni toni toni

Deluca67-

Why so negative? T :rolleyes: his is a 26 or 27 year old defenseman who is perhaps coming into his prime. BTW - he was injured for most of the playoffs the last time the NHL played. He got healthy enough to play the last 3 games of the finals, and if you watched CBC at all during those playoffs, the Flames were very happy to get him back for those games.

Watch the guy play a game or two before you make judgement.

I Am from Calgary and i will tell you that Toni Lydman will be extremely missed around here. He was considered one of our top defenseman. And true he doesnt put up the stunning numbers. But he anchored our power play and was sorely missed during our cup run. True, he can be inconsistent, but hey, who isn't? He will be a valuable player for the Sabres down the stretch, just as he was here. And i read around this board and see many other people approve of this trade and think he is a solid player as well...

I was excited to see that a Calgary fan posted that about Lydman and then I realized something...

I realized I'm an admin for this site.

Being an admin for this site, I can see what IP you are posting from. So I checked and unless there is a Calgary in Virginia, you happen to live there, and you are a huge Flames fan, your post is BS. My guess is there is no Calgary in Virginia -- where your IP orginates from -- and you ain't no Flames fan.

Actually, we can tell exactly who you are on this board ... but I won't embarass you like that. So don't post BS posting as another team's fan.

Not to make you look silly.

Z played 30-35 minutes a game against the leagues top lines.

What's his name wasn't even good enough to crack the Flames playoff roster on a nightly basis.

This was nothing more that the Flames dumping 2 million of bad salary onto the Sabres.

It's why the Flames will be in the playoffs and Sabres will be sitting home.

I'm not worried about you making me look silly.

That's fine, but he is -50 and is constantly called for stupid penalties at three times the rate of Lydman.

Lydman was injured in the playoffs.

The Sabres have saved 1.5 million and 7 years by trading for Lydman instead of resigning Zhitnik.

The Flames will be in the playoffs because of Jarome Iginla and Mika Kiprusoff. The Sabres will be in the playoffs because of 3 lines of fast young players than can score and 6 top 4 defensemen.

I was excited to see that a Calgary fan posted that about Lydman and then I realized something...

Being an admin for this site, I can see what IP you are posting from. So I checked and unless there is a Calgary in Virginia, you happen to live there, and you are a huge Flames fan, your post is BS. My guess is there is no Calgary in Virginia -- where your IP orginates from -- and you ain't no Flames fan.

Actually, we can tell exactly who you are on this board ... but I won't embarass you like that. So don't post BS posting as another team's fan.

I know someone who lives in Florida but is a huge Canucks fan. I also know someone who lives in Central New York and is a big Flames fan.

It's possible.

Just a thought...it's possible he could be in Virginia on vacation or business.

Just a thought...it's possible he could be in Virginia on vacation or business.

Very possible in some cases but not in this one. I'm 99.9% certain he's a Sabres fan as there is only one registered user using that exact same IP as Guest_Flame.

Plus, Lydman didn't play down the stretch last hockey season for Calgary. He was hurt and not the valuable player down the stretch like Guest_Flame said.

Guest pierre larouche

Sounds like Lydman is a one year rental at $1.9 million and then he is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year.

Is it worth a 3rd round pick?

I don't know, but we will see.

The Sabres needed a body on the blue line and he sounds like a reasonable defenseman for this year. At least he can talk to Teppo in his native language.

Where is Hannu Virta?

Lydman should be a nice addition. Nothing to get too excited about, just a solid player.

These are exactly the type of players Buffalo has thrived with and he is indeed a solid addition.Thanks Darcy for trying to do something........thats about all the praise I can offer right now.Go get the team Luongo and the skies the limit! lol !!

Deluca67-

Why so negative? T :rolleyes: his is a 26 or 27 year old defenseman who is perhaps coming into his prime. BTW - he was injured for most of the playoffs the last time the NHL played. He got healthy enough to play the last 3 games of the finals, and if you watched CBC at all during those playoffs, the Flames were very happy to get him back for those games.

Watch the guy play a game or two before you make judgement.

"Prime" is a relative term.

Picking up yet another 5th or 6th defenseman doesn't put this team any closer to the playoffs. This team needs to start adding talent on the top of the roster not the bottom. But after listening to Regier the Sabres are happy with being the lowest payroll team and missing the playoffs.

I'm not worried about you making me look silly.

That's fine, but he is -50 and is constantly called for stupid penalties at three times the rate of Lydman.

Lydman was injured in the playoffs.

The Sabres have saved 1.5 million and 7 years by trading for Lydman instead of resigning Zhitnik.

The Flames will be in the playoffs because of Jarome Iginla and Mika Kiprusoff. The Sabres will be in the playoffs because of 3 lines of fast young players than can score and 6 top 4 defensemen.

I'm sure Teppo and what's his name will fill the void created by Z leaving :lol:

Not!

But you did hit it right on the head. It's about saving money. The Sabres moves are to eliminate payroll. They will pay whoever this year that way they can dump a bunch more salary next. If the Cap Floor was 20 million the Sabres would be at 21 million.

The biggest problem I have with Regier is that he is acquiring these quiche eating defensemen(Teppo & Toni) believing that the NHL is going to REALLY change this time, where it would benefit defensemen who are less physical and more mobile.

Guess what...we've been down this road before(no more obstruction!!) and it's always reverted back to the same old neutral zone, left wing lock, clutch & grab crap.

I'll be a believer come playoff time, when the refs are calling penalties instead of putting their whistles away for the summer.

One other thing I'm afraid of....McKee is now on his way out. If this is the case, adding Teppo & Toni while letting go Zhitnik and McKee puts our blue line corp in worse shape than it was in 03-04.

<<<<<<<<<A top 4 of Kalinin, Nummenin, McKee, and Lydman should be solid, but nothing spectacular. We need solid seasons from Tallinder and Jillson and our D won't be a liability. >>>>>>>>

not the most physical group in the world.

we better hope all the rule changes focus on defensemen's skating and puckhandling and not checking or clearing the front of the net.

Guest Repster
"Solid"? Really?

Could you explain what part of his game is solid. I would like to know what standards you are using?

Didn't the Flames make it to the Finals last season? Why did he only play in 5 games? Did he get injured? .

Yeah, he got injured. If you check out the comment board underneath the story of this trade from tsn.ca, you will see many flames fans that are unhappy with losing Lydman. All the seem to say is that he's solid. Some are actually really teed off. The poster from Virginia may or may not be a Flames fan from Calgary, but I bet most of those posting on the tsn website are.

The biggest problem I have with Regier is that he is acquiring these quiche eating defensemen(Teppo & Toni) believing that the NHL is going to REALLY change this time, where it would benefit defensemen who are less physical and more mobile.

Guess what...we've been down this road before(no more obstruction!!) and it's always reverted back to the same old neutral zone, left wing lock, clutch & grab crap.

I'll be a believer come playoff time, when the refs are calling penalties instead of putting their whistles away for the summer.

One other thing I'm afraid of....McKee is now on his way out.  If this is the case, adding Teppo & Toni while letting go Zhitnik and McKee puts our blue line corp in worse shape than it was in 03-04.

That is exactly why we shouldnt be spending now until we figure out how the rule changes will be implemented...and if the refs will maintain those changes. Watch our team for 1 year under the "new" league, evaluate our talent and needs, go after some young FAs next year when the Philly's of the NHL are maxed out.

That is exactly why we shouldnt be spending now until we figure out how the rule changes will be implemented...and if the refs will maintain those changes. Watch our team for 1 year under the "new" league, evaluate our talent and needs, go after some young FAs next year when the Philly's of the NHL are maxed out.

The problem with waiting until next year to sign players is that there won't be too many left on the market. Those that are scheduled for UFA next year are being signed to multi-year deals so teams that have their rights currently aren't going to let them get on the market. That's why the players still have some power to get the big contracts. I was on thestar.com/sports website in Toronto and Damien Cox was saying all the things I am. If Darcy thought that there would be lots left for next year, he miscalculated. That doesn't mean that there won't be teams that will have to shed payroll like Calgary and the Lydman trade, and look at NJ with a $43 million payroll right now. But the UFA theory for next year is not panning out.

Guest JUSTWANNA LOVETHESABRES

FOURTH LINER you should be ashamed of yourself! You do not know a good hockey player if it sat on your face! Lydman is a solid pickup and Buffalo is not done yet! KEN KLEE from toronto is a mistake.......Leave toronto off our team. Hey how long did in take Martin St. Louis to become the best??? Fourth Liner you spew out some stats and say he sucks lets face it REIGER pulled off another great trade and ALL YOU PEOPLE that don't understand REIGER doesn't decide the payroll and his hands were tied with PECA and HASEK you don't know what goes on between closed doors to know what really happens that weasel of an ex-owner owned a fourty foot yaucht instead of PECA....Anyways you were probably one of those people saying bring back mogilny(lol)Buffalo can not afford to miss on a player no matter the cost(although they should have signed SATAN and traded him away for something even a pick). The sabres will make the PLAYOFFS easily this year and you will all eat my @$@#%!!!!!

GO SABRES GO!!!!!!!

BRING BACK THE BLUE AND GOLD!!!!

Nice catch. Must pay attention...

De Luca, I've been quite negative about Regier's non-activity too. I'm not exactly doing cartwheels over Lydman, but like I said, he will prove to be a solid player.

I still say Regier should have made one splash in the free-agent market. I'd like to know if he made a bid on Kariya. That's the guy who I think is going to bounce back big.

The most negative I've been is on our goalie situation. I don't care if Chris Pronger, Brian Leetch, Scott Niedermeyer, Ed Jovanovski, Nicklas Lidstrom and Derian Hatcher are our defence. These goalies will make any defence look bad. There is an outside chance that Miller will be the guy. The other two have had their shot, they ain't gonna cut it.

I don't understand how a franchise that made the cup finals with Hasek and a team of virtual 4th liners, can't be aware of how important goaltending is.

You have to remember that goalies are usually late bloomers. Hell, Hasek didn't hit it big time until he was 28. Marty's 28, Mika's 26, Miller's 25. At this point, who knows what we're going to get from them.

On an unrelated note, I don't think this calls for its own thread, but I'm curious. I was looking at the roster on the sabres website and noticed that Doug Janik isn't listed. He's not listed on the nhlpa website either and I can't find anything new on him beyond 2004. What happened with him?

Archived