Sabres broadcasting history — did Rick Azar ever do play by play?

PASabreFan

I always heard that Dave Hodge did the play by play for TV games in the first season. There were just seven games televised. But the Sabres media guide says play by play announcers were Hodge and Azar. Just throwing a hail mary here in case any of the old-timers remember.

The next season's guide is also unclear. There were 14 games on TV, and it says Ted Darling, Hodge and Azar would share the broadcasting duties.

Tank, can you ask Paul Wieland?

I always heard that Dave Hodge did the play by play for TV games in the first season. There were just seven games televised. But the Sabres media guide says play by play announcers were Hodge and Azar. Just throwing a hail mary here in case any of the old-timers remember.

The next season's guide is also unclear. There were 14 games on TV, and it says Ted Darling, Hodge and Azar would share the broadcasting duties.

Tank, can you ask Paul Wieland?

Pretty sure he did some color work when the broadcast was on channel 7.  Ted had told me he could have made more money working for 2 or 7, but as the contract tended to flip to the other when it was up, he prefered the lowered pay but additional job security that came from working directly for the club.

(It might have been Pat Hannigan he was referring to that lost the job w/ the contract change, not Azar.  That memory is a little fuzzy.)

Pretty sure he did some color work when the broadcast was on channel 7.  Ted had told me he could have made more money working for 2 or 7, but as the contract tended to flip to the other when it was up, he prefered the lowered pay but additional job security that came from working directly for the club.

(It might have been Pat Hannigan he was referring to that lost the job w/ the contract change, not Azar.  That memory is a little fuzzy.)

There was only one change in stations in the early days. The Sabres were on Channel 7 from the start through 1977-78, then they went to Channel 2 through the mid 80s. Hannigan carried on through the transition. Ed Kilgore became the studio host on Channel 2; Wikipedia has Rick Azar in that role before that, which makes sense. For the unfamiliar, Rick was Sports Director for Channel 7.

Edited by @fakegorbyportwinestain

There was only one change in stations in the early days. The Sabres were on Channel 7 from the start through 1977-78, then they went to Channel 2 through the mid 80s. Hannigan carried on through the transition. Ed Kilgore became the studio host on Channel 2; Wikipedia has Rick Azar in that role before that, which makes sense. For the unfamiliar, Rick was Sports Director for Channel 7.

So it would have been Azar that Ted was referring to. Thanks.

And funny how the mind plays tricks. Would've sworn the broadcast changed slightly more often; also probably confusing his hosting w/ play-by-play.

Edited by Taro T

I remember watching the Sabres on WGRZ back when I was a little kid growing up and remember watching the random highlight from an old Sabre's game they would always play during one of the commercial breaks...its ingrained into my memories...

My biggest Azar moment in Sabres history is when he went to the airport to see Jim Schonefeld off after his trade to Detroit in 81 and big Jimmy was crying and Azar didn't know what to say and started tearin g up himself. I looked on youtube for it but can't find. 

I remember that like it was yesterday

I do not recall the Azar and Schoenfeld moment, although it sounds like a good one.

In terms of airport encounters, I recall Stu Boyar catching up with Muckler in the mid-90s. The team had started Fuhr (instead of Hasek, I suspect) during a road game (and lost, I presume) in what was an apparent attempt to market Fuhr to suitors. When Boyar asked Muckler if that's what had been going on, Muckler cursed out Boyar, on live TV, IIRC. Also, Muckler appeared drunk.

That was so awesome.

Do interviews like that not happen anymore because the teams have moved from commercial to chartered air travel? Mid-90s seems late for that sort of development, but, maybe not?

My biggest Azar moment in Sabres history is when he went to the airport to see Jim Schonefeld off after his trade to Detroit in 81 and big Jimmy was crying and Azar didn't know what to say and started tearin g up himself. I looked on youtube for it but can't find. 

I remember that. I also remember Danny Gare was PISSED. He was very angry about getting traded. I guess he got over it...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.