OT - water damage to my house

inkman

While I was away on vacation, the ceiling started to leak (dogsitter noticed). Turns out the 5 million pounds of snow that sat on my roof all winter did some damage. Claim adjuster will be here Monday or Tuesday. Any words to the wise or experience in said matters? All input is welcome.

While I was away on vacation, the ceiling started to leak (dogsitter noticed). Turns out the 5 million pounds of snow that sat on my roof all winter did some damage. Claim adjuster will be here Monday or Tuesday. Any words to the wise or experience in said matters? All input is welcome.

Make sure the adjuster is thorough and ask what happens if mold develops as a result of the leak. Fixing the leak and the cosmetic look is one issue, residual effects like mold can be a muther-f'er down the road.

Had the same problem here two years ago. Wasn't a major leak, but could see the water stains in the ceiling. There was a small section of rotted plywood under the shingles that had to be replaced. Ended up fixing that section and a few others that were starting to rot as well. Also re-shingled the entire roof. Unfortunately it wasn't a cheap fix, but at least it was done right and has been fine since then.

we vhad rental property tenants destroted with water in one room an urune in another,,, before the adjuster,, (who probably does not have your family's best interest at heart) take it down to foundation or framing and drywall to clearly identify line of water and set a date that water damage occurred.  scientufically map the progression of possible mold on any cellulose and any cracks in foudation to seer if dwelling is legally inhabitable noting ant work done with paint drywall ducts and electrical touched by water. phograh and videotape each step as you take it dow to cement drywall and framing. i might skow it as is and rip it up in front of him with evidence of the likely damage based on time of mold infestation and possible prescense of black mold which must be ripped out like it wads asbestos or similarly health hazardos material...

do your homework and find precedents for correct assessment and prompt emergency\hazardous payouts because this will follow the house forever... any small fires or flood we never report and clean up ourselves unless you have excellent insurancth low dedutible beacuse if mold is present they break your back with expenses for disposal and cleanup and get a buck of estimates before they come to eliminate black mold unkess you have full coverage and no deductible.. they may forve you to comply to make it habitable and it will always be mark agaist all other comps at resale unless you slap down perfect proof that its better than new... one of many ways slime real estaters work with insurance to devalue property , throw bs work with black mold to friends in the business and steal good propeties for half

mold is very danferous to you and you family but like cuttinway rotted flesh the limbs can be saved and keep the body whole in good neighborhoods. in low rent the amputation is the norm.. bad analogy but i prefer protecting family by never reporting unless insurance is awesome then they will protect you and be thorough as they return you property to new while properly protecting your family and thus returning the value of your home as it was or more with upgrades to damages areas and machinery... best of luck to you.. hope it all goes well... if you need anything ill check nack tomorrow... sorry about my lazy one handed punctuation.. also didnt have time to reread but i have issues w insurance companies and want you to be treated fairly

Just an FYI. Because the insurance industry is considering this February's freeze and storms "catastrophic" they are more inclined to approve claims for ice damage than they otherwise might be. (Translation: they don't have the manpower to fully investigate the claims and are approving quicker than they might during a normal winter.)

I've recently dealt with my homeowners insurance provider. My advice? You meantioned that you where willing to do something in particular for a desired result in another thread. That claims adjuster will be glad to oblige. Very glad. Good luck man.

I've recently dealt with my homeowners insurance provider. My advice? You meantioned that you where willing to do something in particular for a desired result in another thread. That claims adjuster will be glad to oblige. Very glad. Good luck man.

I'm fully expecting a very adjuster.

You're fully expecting a very giphy.gif adjuster?

thats the spirit... that girl the cheznykov and her russian sweetheart should have you covered on all angles,,, exvellent thought process in a world where the curtain has  traveled to the us from russia and followed you defectors,..i request videos as i live vicariously thru youth as nothing i see rivals my 48 year old but im infinitely intrigued...  so violent w a agreen granny

As was said, ask lots of questions, hang with the adjuster while he is looking and point out anything he may no focus on.  Keep a list yourself and compare to list he sends to insurance.  When contractor comes in ask him for a list of what he says needs to be done, make sure two lists are comparable and if adjuster leaves anything out call insurance company and demand it be added.  Provide contractors price estimate for it as well.  Bird dog both contractor and insurance company.  Only use reputable contractor, don't give more than half the money up front to the contractor, better to layout only a quarter till supplies are delivered and another half when job is nearing completion and only the last after job is totally finished. 

Was flood in VA and had to stay on top of it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.