Grigorenko

DirtDart

Yeah, because we all know those situations are a dime a dozen. 

?? 

How many coaches were changed out since 07-08?  It took a buddy that was hired for on the job training to get him employed again.  He's just not relevant in NHL circles.

You didn't miss it because no one in their right mind would hire him to coach a highly talented team which should be the end of the discussion but I'm sure you can find someone else to blame for that. It is kind of appropriate because it's Nolan's MO to blame everyone else as well.

Don't take it out on me because you can't come up with a legitimate reason for firing Nolan aside from Grigorenko only getting 2nd line minutes. Keep your head in the sand Snarky, it suits you well. Sorry, didn't know this meant so much to you that you needed to resort to attacks. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Hitting and blocking shots wins playoff games. Show me a team that doesn't do this and I'll show you a team that won't make the playoffs.

You might want to look were the Black Hawks and Red Wings and even the Kings rank in those categories.

Possession teams win and if you have the puck you don't have to hit and you don't have to block shots

?? 

How many coaches were changed out since 07-08?  It took a buddy that was hired for on the job training to get him employed again.  He's just not relevant in NHL circles.

Don't go changing the parameters now. You said talented teams. You didn't say all coaching vacancies.  

Don't take it out on me because you can't some up with legitimate reason for firing Nolan aside from Grigorenko only getting 2nd line minutes. Keep your head in the sand Snarky, it suits you well. Sorry, didn't know this meant so much to you that you needed to resort to attacks.

I haven't mentioned Grigs once in this thread and am on record as saying he doesn't deserve to be here so try again. You say you will take the word of analyst over fans but analyst are there because they can't get hired as GM's. The GM's have spoken. Without even checking I would guess that over 30 coaches were hired between Nolan's Islanders job and this job. Did he even get an interview?

I haven't mentioned Grigs once in this thread and am on record as saying he doesn't deserve to be here so try again. You say you will take the word of analyst over fans but analyst are there because they can't get hired as GM's. The GM's have spoken. Without even checking I would guess that over 30 coaches were hired between Nolan's Islanders job and this job. Did he even get an interview?

And fans are here because they can't get jobs as analysts, although they play one on the internet. So until then I'll take their word for it over a forum. Analysts talk to all involved in hockey, coaches, GM's, players, owners................ we don't. 

You don't know what went on behind the scenes. Do you know that Nolan even made himself available? 

Sure it is. This entire thread is focusing on one player using it to trash Nolan. Mismanagement of rookies and young players? Have you noticed there has been little to no mention of what Nolan has done with Ennis, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Girgensons, Deslauriers and Larsson? Of course not, it doesn't fit the narrative. Has there been any mention of how he turned Stewart's season around? Any mention of how Myers was a whole new player under Nolan? Of course not........ The notion that Nolan doesn't work with young players and/or manage them well is ridiculous. For all the things he's done with the young players this year, he's getting trashed for giving Grigorenko 2nd line minutes?

And taking Snow's side on the Islanders deal? Outside of this year Snow is a laughing stock, his front office career has been a joke. The only reason New York doesn't think so is because their previous choice was Mike Milbury.

I'm not trashing Nolan. I've been restrained. I'm just sharing my reasons why you won't see him in the NHL again.

Selah.

If you do see him in Buffalo or with another team, feel free to call me on it.

And fans are here because they can't get jobs as analysts, although they play one on the internet. So until then I'll take their word for it over a forum. Analysts talk to all involved in hockey, coaches, GM's, players, owners................ we don't.

You don't know what went on behind the scenes. Do you know that Nolan even made himself available?

He is in record as saying he was shocked he didn't get a call. This debate is actually easier then most. His historically bad record and the fact that he will be out of the NHL should settle the debate.

My guess is he takes a job with the NHL and his pal Pat and I'm sure they will spin it that its all he ever wanted to do.

He is in record as saying he was shocked he didn't get a call. This debate is actually easier then most. His historically bad record and the fact that he will be out of the NHL should settle the debate.

My guess is he takes a job with the NHL and his pal Pat and I'm sure they will spin it that its all he ever wanted to do.

What's really going to suck is when Murray keeps him for next year and every single GDT is derailed by Nolan haters à la Darcy, Lindy and "tank". Nolan has also been on record as saying he has other endeavors he pursues besides coaching in the NHL. Anybody that doesn't think the drama that came with the racism issues and sleeping with Hasek's wife might have played a part, is just ignorant. 

What's really going to suck is when Murray keeps him for next year and every single GDT is derailed by Nolan haters à la Darcy, Lindy and "tank". Nolan has also been on record as saying he has other endeavors he pursues besides coaching in the NHL. Anybody that doesn't think the drama that came with the racism issues and sleeping with Hasek's wife might have played a part, is just ignorant.

If he is back, I will be stunned and disappointed but will admit I'm wrong. I won't blame anyone or anything for it. I wish I believed that Teddy will go out with the same attitude. My question is what will you say when he is gone and his name never comes up in interview rumors?

Don't go changing the parameters now. You said talented teams. You didn't say all coaching vacancies.  

Regardless, there have been talented teams that switched coaches.  None of them chose to consider Nolan.  It's rather telling.

Which analysts are heaping such praise on Nolan?

If he is back, I will be stunned and disappointed but will admit I'm wrong. I won't blame anyone or anything for it. I wish I believed that Teddy will go out with the same attitude. My question is what will you say when he is gone and his name never comes up in interview rumors?

I'll say there's still no proof he can't lead a talented team because he was never given the opportunity.

Any GM that hires, or retains a coach (as Murray did last year) who they think can't lead a talented team isn't confident in his ability to build a team with talent. Hell, in general, anybody that hires or keeps a staff who they think isn't qualified to move the business forward is a poor manager/owner. With that said, if Murray kept Nolan last year with the intentions of moving forward with him, there is nothing substantial from this year that can/should be held against Nolan when deciding on his future. 

Regardless, there have been talented teams that switched coaches.  None of them chose to consider Nolan.  It's rather telling.

Which analysts are heaping such praise on Nolan?

Watch TV............. listen to shows.............. I don't write down every instance to use in my posts.

And I'll say it again, who is to say Nolan made himself available to coach? Do you know that he was on the market? There are an awful lot of ex-coaches with qualifications that didn't get interviews and don't have jobs. You don't know what goes on behind the scenes. 

I'll say there's still no proof he can't lead a talented team because he was never given the opportunity.

Any GM that hires, or retains a coach (as Murray did last year) who they think can't lead a talented team isn't confident in his ability to build a team with talent. Hell, in general, anybody that hires or keeps a staff who they think isn't qualified to move the business forward is a poor manager/owner. With that said, if Murray kept Nolan last year with the intentions of moving forward with him, there is nothing substantial from this year that can/should be held against Nolan when deciding on his future. 

Watch TV............. listen to shows.............. I don't write down every instance to use in my posts.

And I'll say it again, who is to say Nolan made himself available to coach? Do you know that he was on the market? There are an awful lot of ex-coaches with qualifications that didn't get interviews and don't have jobs. You don't know what goes on behind the scenes. 

Tom Webster already covered that.  Nolan himslef has said in interviews that he was surprised and disappointed he didn't get calls for interviews.

Most folks call those Plan B.  He was genuinely overwhelmed with emotion when offered the job here.  That doesn't happen if you are choosing other paths as Plan A.

So now you're scraping the barrel with 'he got emotional'? Seriously.................. if you can find a legitimate reason why Nolan should be fired other than Grigs is getting 2nd line minutes or Garth Snow doesn't like him, please feel free to add it. If you have a gut feeling that he isn't the right coach, so be it that's your opinion. But if you're trying to reason come up with something substantial because so far most of this thread has been a fail. 

And if Murray moved forward with Plan B, that doesn't say much for Murray does it?

Well, I've had about as much fun as I can stand for one day. 

So now you're scraping the barrel with 'he got emotional'? Seriously.................. if you can find a legitimate reason why Nolan should be fired other than Grigs is getting 2nd line minutes or Garth Snow doesn't like him, please feel free to add it. If you have a gut feeling that he isn't the right coach, so be it that's your opinion. But if you're trying to reason come up with something substantial because so far most of this thread has been a fail. 

And if Murray moved forward with Plan B, that doesn't say much for Murray does it?

I'm not sure who you are confusing me with that you are resorting to snark.  I've never tried to link Grigo's ice time or Garth Snow to why or why not Nolan should be fired.  I merely responded to your notion that Nolan is respected around the league. I don't see it.  Rather, I see the opposite.

Edited by weave

You might want to look were the Black Hawks and Red Wings and even the Kings rank in those categories.

Possession teams win and if you have the puck you don't have to hit and you don't have to block shots

Tom come on man. You actually believe what you're saying ? The part about possession is spot on but if you look at the teams you mentioned they all block as many shots as any other team that goes far in the post season and they all grind it out with timely hits as well. A war of attrition. If you're not willing to block shots and take as well as give hits you don't win the cup. 

I'm not sure who you are confusing me with that you are resorting to snark.  I've never tried to link Grigo's ice time or Garth Snow to why or why not Nolan should be fired.  I merely responded to your notion that Nolan is respected around the league. I don't see it.  Rather, I see the opposite.

It's not snark. I'm just losing patience with people trying to prove me wrong with nothing to back it up all while ignoring what Nolan has done with the younger players this year. The Grigo and Snow references are the best they've come up with. Is 'because he didn't get an interview' really a legitimate argument? Not sure what you're watching or who you are listening to but I can't recall Nolan getting much criticism by anybody outside of the BFLO media hacks. 

Stop going back 5,10,15 years to prove your points. Stick to this year. What has Nolan done to warrant getting fired?

Edited by JJFIVEOH

My sole reason is him calling out players in public, but not all the players he stays away from the veteran players whom also make mistakes.

Either he has given up on the veteran players thinking they won't be around next year or he just is to set in his ways.

Tom come on man. You actually believe what you're saying ? The part about possession is spot on but if you look at the teams you mentioned they all block as many shots as any other team that goes far in the post season and they all grind it out with timely hits as well. A war of attrition. If you're not willing to block shots and take as well as give hits you don't win the cup.

I had this debate with Deluca a couple years back. The numbers don't back your contention. Sure they all have a certain amount of grit and as Lindy always said, players have to play out of their normal confort zones. Chicago and Detroit traditionally rank near the bottom in hits and blocked shots, to give two examples.

My sole reason is him calling out players in public, but not all the players he stays away from the veteran players whom also make mistakes.

Either he has given up on the veteran players thinking they won't be around next year or he just is to set in his ways.

He's been pretty vocal in his criticisms of Stewart, Hodgson and Myers. I've got no problem with a coach telling the media he doesn't think some guys aren't putting in an effort. If something that minor is going to negatively affect a player moving forward then he probably isn't going to last long in the bigs. Myers, Stewart and Larsson took it to heart and they've been better for it ever since. I agree with you on giving up on some veterans, he probably knows Mess and Benoit are gone next year. 

It's not snark. I'm just losing patience with people trying to prove me wrong with nothing to back it up all while ignoring what Nolan has done with the younger players this year. The Grigo and Snow references are the best they've come up with. Is 'because he didn't get an interview' really a legitimate argument? Not sure what you're watching or who you are listening to but I can't recall Nolan getting much criticism by anybody outside of the BFLO media hacks. 

Stop going back 5,10,15 years to prove your points. Stick to this year. What has Nolan done to warrant getting fired?

Obvious mis-use of players in game situations is probably the single biggest thing he's done to convince me he's not an NHL caliber coach any more.  That is this season.

What's really hard is actually trying to formulate a legitimate list of reasons that a team should fire a coach that is 37-81-16 in his last 134 games (last one year, likely bottom two the next).

I guess the only other things I can think of are:

More than a 70% drop in production out of Cody Hodgson, who was once looked at as a key young piece.

A 50% drop in production out of Matt Moulson.

Mysterious player disappearances on a consistent basis for a guy who is said to get the most out of everybody and always has a team FULL of guys that work hard.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.