OT: Is the world series, and baseball, done as a major sport?

mjd1001

It's the exact reason that many people mention first when talking about why they don't watch anymore.

I don't know. I find it flimsy. If I love a sport and a game, I'm not going to be like "you know what, ###### this, it's taking 20 minutes longer than it used to."

I don't know. Maybe that's a legit reason for y'all. I'd love for you guys to come back into the fold if they take measures to shorten the game. I just doubt it. I don't think it's "lying" about it or anything, I just think there's other factors involved. Beyond a time aspect, it's hard to rekindle the love for a game that you've stopped watching, no?

Edited by TheMatrix31

Thought maybe the Royals were going to finally give us a new champion. A small time champ for once. Nope. Sports blow sometimes.

I gave up on baseball around the middle of last year as the A-Rod stuff got louder. I think I'll go back to that now that the excitement of the small-time Royals winning it all is gone. The game is boring. Anybody can be bought off by one of five teams.

I'm fine heading to a ballpark on a warm afternoon and throwing back some beers. That's about it.

I know what my problem with baseball is. It's just too serious. There is rarely any emotion shown by anyone playing. Nobody smiles or even looks like they are even remotely having fun.

Watch Adam Jones and the Orioles. You'll love it.

Remember John Scott in the post game interviews with the fur coat?

That happens in every post game interview where a player had a big game.

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion

Also really ###### stupid: baseball scoring rules...

Bumgartner gets the save tonight when he came in during the 5th inning? Starters can't win unless they pitch a full five innings but a reliever can win a game on one pitch? Stupid.

Edited by Tankalicious

I know what my problem with baseball is. It's just too serious. There is rarely any emotion shown by anyone playing. Nobody smiles or even looks like they are even remotely having fun.

Not accurate at all. Adam Jones, Carlos Gomez, the Dodgers with their bubble machine, Eric Hosmer (and all the Royals), Jake Peavy, Freddie Freeman's hugs, all the signs that players make toward their dugout once they get back on base, Jose Fernandez, Munenori Kawasaki and so many other examples. There's a ton of personality in the MLB. A ton.

Edited by TheMatrix31

The biggest change they could make to get somebody like me more interested are rules to push the pace of play. Less time between pitches, less manager-umpire arguing, no trips to the mound for managers, etc. For hardcore fans I'm sure this is part of the appeal, but for somebody who was always a casual watcher, this stuff killed it for me. Some may prefer to keep it the way it is, but if there's any interest in growing the game, these things have to change.

The Manager Challenge/Instant Replay rule that was instituted this season eliminated much of the Manager/Umpire arguing, and managers being ejected, etc.

If I have to listen to one more are they/aren't they a dynasty talk, I'm going to go mad. It's almost as pointless as the whole Mount Rushmore thing that was all the rage last year.

I have to agree with you to a certain extent, and maybe take it a step farther.

Are they the greatest team ever? Is Lebron better than Jordan? Is Brady or Manning better? Was the seahawks D better than the 85 bears or the 2000 Ravens? That stuff drives me nuts hearing it over and over and....when it is brought up it is the #1 thing to get me to turn off talk radio or a pre-game/post game show on TV.

If, IF I am going to engage in that conversation, it will be one-on-one with my friends. I don't care to hear what the experts say about it (maybe ONE time) but the stuff you mentioned and I mentioned above....it just gets created for something to talk about.

I thought of the issue of how baseball doesn't attract the younger crown anymore...and I can't take credit for thinking of this, as I heard it talked about a year or two ago on a radio station.

The topic was why ratings for baseball were falling especially with people under 25, and an example was brought up of an early season game on national TV (I think it was a Saturday afternoon, or MAYBE the sunday night game). The issue was, the broadcast started, and one of the 'old time' baseball writers/broadcasters started talking in front of the camera on TV before the national anthem. I don't remember the exact specifics, but they started doing the "waxing poetically" thing bringing up "harkening back to the days of Ebbetts field" and picturing the "Fluid swing of Ron Cey" and then talking about "Charile Hustle"...without ANY explanation at all. Now, to the typical 40-50 year old (or older) lifelong fan of baseball, that may have been a cute opening, but if any of those viewers were trying to get their 14 year old to watch the game with them, the kid must have been like "WTF is he TALKING about? Just let me leave so I don't have to watch this stupid game"

Now that doesn't apply in every situation, but after hearing that...I did pay attention to a few broadcasts the next few weeks and it does seem even the broadcast caters to the older crowd. Unless you pay attention, you don't realize it, but Baseball seems to mention things that happened 20-30 years ago a LOT more than any other sport...and that can be something that turns off younger viewers.

And as others have said, when you do get excitement in baseball, it IS very excitement. The problem is 95% of the game is comprised of the following: Pitcher stares at catcher, batter walks out of box, pitcher walks off mound, pitcher stares back at catcher, pitcher throws ball, batter doesn't swing at it, Repeat.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.