Darcy Regier's "emphasis" on small skill players

inkman

Chalk it up to the Sabres medical/training staff once again....

Tallinder breaks his arm in the same spot and McKee gets MRSA.

I pray for you Tyler....I pray for you.....

Are they still the same guys?

They did save 2 players who got their throats slit, so they got that going for 'em!

It's a miracle we were up 2-1 at the end of the second in game 7 with that blue line. Yet to this day nearly every canes fan and a select few posters here will argue those injuries mattered not in the outcome.

Insanity. Soupy probably doesn't take that delay of game penalty if he's logging normal minutes vs playing half the game.

you know what pisses me off almost as much as thinking back on how close the sabres where to a cup that year? The fact that we have to discuss how the bush league NHL did something outside the box like enforce the rules in the NHL rule book. Think how stupid that sounds. any changes for the upcoming season? why yes in fact there is a change, you remember that thing we send you every year that says NHL official rules? yes I recall you sending that every year we always laugh that you send it. Yes well change of policy, we are going to call penalties based on the rules now.

Edited by drnkirishone

you know what pisses me off almost as much as thinking back on how close the sabres where to a cup that year? The fact that we have to discuss how the bush league NHL did something outside the box like enforce the rules in the NHL rule book. Think how stupid that sounds. any changes for the upcoming season? why yes in fact there is a change, you remember that thing we send you every year that says NHL official rules? yes I recall you sending that every year we always laugh that you send it. Yes well change of policy, we are going to call penalties based on the rules now.

I never understood why they reverted back, part from several big market teams crying about not being succesful immediately out of the gate.

The NHL's plan was to appeal casual viewers, you cannot seriously tell me the casual viewer finds the game more watchable today?

....Do they?

Chalk it up to the Sabres medical/training staff once again....

Tallinder breaks his arm in the same spot and McKee gets MRSA.

I pray for you Tyler....I pray for you.....

Yeah, they also had Briere playing for the better part of a month with a sports hernia, before diagnosing him correctly.

Picking in the teens every year really lowers the chance for success. I by no means think he was a great drafter but I'm unsure how different he is from most GM's.

From 2004 - 2008, then again in 2009, Darcy was way below average drafting. Out right bad. Not in this thread, but I keep reading that our rebuild started with Darcy. Big Deal. If Darcy was doing his job and stockpiling the cupboard when should have been, we wouldn't be in the rebuild. In addition, we also need to thank Darcy for breaking apart the teams that Muckler built in the 90's. Very good teams I might add.

Yeah, they also had Briere playing for the better part of a month with a sports hernia, before diagnosing him correctly.

And Dumont

And Kalinin

And Gaustad

And they had Gerbe playing with a broken back

And it took unsolicited advice to diagnose Tim Connolly after he missed an entire season

And they brought Roy back for 1 game on a blown out knee which pretty much relegated him to a $1 million player going forward

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.......

From 2004 - 2008, then again in 2009, Darcy was way below average drafting. Out right bad. Not in this thread, but I keep reading that our rebuild started with Darcy. Big Deal. If Darcy was doing his job and stockpiling the cupboard when should have been, we wouldn't be in the rebuild. In addition, we also need to thank Darcy for breaking apart the teams that Muckler built in the 90's. Very good teams I might add.

why does this myth continue? The team that darcy inherited was not very good. It was awful in most areas of the game below avererage in some and hall of fame great in one. You take hasek off the team and you have a team picking top 5 at the least.

Don't forget the corrolary of never changing his mind about an acquired 'rental.' Once considered a rental, no player was ever extended, regardless of how circumstances may have changed.

I think you and I agree that paying for, but then not signing Zubrus was inexcusable and inexplicable.

why does this myth continue? The team that darcy inherited was not very good. It was awful in most areas of the game below avererage in some and hall of fame great in one. You take hasek off the team and you have a team picking top 5 at the least.

What? he inherited the defending division champs, with the reigning Selke Winner? Throw in Hasek and he inherited a great team.

You mean Muckler's team that slipped right into the conference finals in Regier's first season, and probably would have made the final had Hasek not turned into Swiss Cheese at critical moments early in the series?

What does Darcy get credit for in his first season? Well, he hired Lindy, and I'm sure a bunch of people right chere will say that in itself explains the team's run in the playoffs. With the roster, not much changed. It was the next trade deadline where Darcy really shined.

In reality, let's give Mucks and Marce their due.

I never understood why they reverted back, part from several big market teams crying about not being succesful immediately out of the gate.

The NHL's plan was to appeal casual viewers, you cannot seriously tell me the casual viewer finds the game more watchable today?

This.

I just don't get the NHL's ethos. Are they trying to expand the sport or appeal to Don Cherry? In my mind, it's the latter. All you need to so is watch a Shanny "he followed through on his check putting his elbow through another guys face video" to understand the culture of these cromagnans. They don't want small skill guys to have a run of the league because they haven't suffered all the blood, sweat and tears they did in the 70's and 80's.

The game would be way more popular and exciting if they called it like they are supposed to. It's such a simple and obvious solution but the knuckle draggers won't allow it because they think it pussifies the game. I'm as blood lusty as they come but not at the expense of my favorite sport. Let them skate, make plays, create. Their can still be hitting and toughness just not in the form of penalties that prohibit exciting play.

This.

I just don't get the NHL's ethos. Are they trying to expand the sport or appeal to Don Cherry? In my mind, it's the latter. All you need to so is watch a Shanny "he followed through on his check putting his elbow through another guys face video" to understand the culture of these cromagnans. They don't want small skill guys to have a run of the league because they haven't suffered all the blood, sweat and tears they did in the 70's and 80's.

The game would be way more popular and exciting if they called it like they are supposed to. It's such a simple and obvious solution but the knuckle draggers won't allow it because they think it pussifies the game. I'm as blood lusty as they come but not at the expense of my favorite sport. Let them skate, make plays, create. Their can still be hitting and toughness just not in the form of penalties that prohibit exciting play.

The head of Hockey Operations son played for the most clutchy-grabby neanderthal team in the league.

I really think it's that simple.

The man sent very specific e-mails chastising a referee who worked for him about the calls made against his son. He has been PROVEN to interfere in favor of his son.

His defense: "But no one told me...that you can take your emails and read them all."

As long as he is in charge of how hockey is played, there will be no improvements.

Call me a knuckle dragger.

JP Losman had the strongest and best deep ball of any QB in Bills history. You put him in direct threat of physical harm and he was a Chihuahua....

It's the game....not a 4H Ribbon event.....

He could also consistently overthrow anyone in the flat with all the time in the world, but point taken.

He could also consistently overthrow anyone in the flat with all the time in the world, but point taken.

We were talking the other day about player defining plays...I was in the Tampa end zone when Losman scrambled and ended up 5 yards out of the back of the end zone but still acted as if the play were alive 3 seconds later. I don't know what the hockey equivalent is, but something tells me we can find it in a Tyler Myers clip....

Call me a knuckle dragger.

JP Losman had the strongest and best deep ball of any QB in Bills history. You put him in direct threat of physical harm and he was a Chihuahua....

It's the game....not a 4H Ribbon event.....

Just to nitpick, this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEylfgdwEnQ

... happened in the no-touch years.

Hitting was legal as always, clutching, grabbing and stick infractions, were not.

The game was never pussified, it just wasn't slowed down either.

Just my 2 cents.

I think some (much?) of the recent draft success has to do with the rehiring of scouts and perhaps the promotion of Devine to AGM three years ago.

Also the 2013 draft class was heavily Devines baby.

Is this the new ######-on-Darcy game? Regier couldn't have been good at drafting because it was all Kevin Devine (and/or Jim Benning)?

I think if the Head Scout and the AGM(s) aren't contributing heavily in the draft arena, there's a problem, but it's the GM that makes the final decision for better or worse.

I agree with a lot of points in this thread. The best way to categorize the Regier era in Buffalo is simply mixed reviews. Some good moments, some horrible moments. Regier was a subpar drafter when you look at it in totality, he actually was a decent trader though (Briere for Gratton, the Drury trade, getting a 1st for Goose, and the Vanek to Islanders hoist just to name a few)..so I'll give him some credit there. At least he didn't leave the cupboard completely bare on the way out the door.

What else cost the Sabres a playoff spot one of those years I believe was this fascination with Patrick Lalime as a backup, he was ATROCIOUS....how come a move wasn't made there? Who really knows...it's water under the bridge...

And as for Tim Murray, so far i really like his style, but let's not give him the keys to the city yet...

I agree with a lot of points in this thread. The best way to categorize the Regier era in Buffalo is simply mixed reviews. Some good moments, some horrible moments. Regier was a subpar drafter when you look at it in totality, he actually was a decent trader though (Briere for Gratton, the Drury trade, getting a 1st for Goose, and the Vanek to Islanders hoist just to name a few)..so I'll give him some credit there. At least he didn't leave the cupboard completely bare on the way out the door.

What else cost the Sabres a playoff spot one of those years I believe was this fascination with Patrick Lalime as a backup, he was ATROCIOUS....how come a move wasn't made there? Who really knows...it's water under the bridge...

And as for Tim Murray, so far i really like his style, but let's not give him the keys to the city yet...

Bob Essensa, Jocelyn Thibault, Ty Conklin, Patrick LaLime - All backups who stunk it up, ROYALLY, in their tenures here. All backups to Ryan Miller.

The backup goalie problem was a big issue ever since Marty Biron left.

The general concensus seemingly being, that the backups themselves weren't entirely at fault, but Lindy Ruff's managing of them had something to do with it, but who knows?

LaLime was here because Ryan wanted him here. Really helped his mental game.

This was the supposed hardest working team in hockey. It was a goon squad with some highly flawed skill guys. They got where they where because of hasek. I would compare mucklers fingerprints on the team darcy got as the same as what murray got. Only murray didnt inherit a hof goalie. Both teams where stripping parts and bringing in newer younger pieces

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.