GDT: New York Islanders at Buffalo 4-13-14 at 5:00 PM EDT

26CornerBlitz

Listen to the presser. He went well beyond that. He explained why it is impracticable to tank.

If you are a GM and you want the best chance at a first overall pick, you should be able to field a team that can try to the best (or better even) of its ability and still be the worst team in the league by a mile. A coach and the players should not be a party to a tank, but a GM should be above the situation and realize the future benefit of being horrible next year. Just my opinion....

If you are a GM and you want the best chance at a first overall pick, you should be able to field a team that can try to the best (or better even) of its ability and still be the worst team in the league by a mile. A coach and the players should not be a party to a tank, but a GM should be above the situation and realize the future benefit of being horrible next year. Just my opinion....

The "Tank" strategy remains in place. They're committed to it through the 2015 draft. Buckle up for another year. This interview confirms it for me: Ted Black @ Draft Lottery (4/15/14)

Listen to the presser. He went well beyond that. He explained why it is impracticable to tank.

I finally listened to it, and to me what he meant was it's hard to tank without it looking like you're tanking, not that tanking itself is difficult to do.

Edit: it's 2am and I now realize you said "impracticable" and not "impossible"...holy crap :bag:

Edited by TrueBluePhD

So what's the over/under on how long it will take after the odds play out as they should tomorrow and the Sabres don't get the #1 pick before we have the "see that's why you don't tank for a #1 pick" posts?

I hate the idea of tanking and I don't think that's what they did--face it, this team wasn't going to win many games. But such a post would be silly. The point of tanking is to guarantee a top 2 pick, and the Sabres are guaranteed that.

I agree that it would be silly as the tanking concept and it's potential rewards have been discussed ad nauseam around here since October. But you just know those posts will be coming anyway.

So who had under 5 seconds? PTR got you the win there.

I don't think he's making any predictions about where the team will finish next year. I think he's being practical. He's going to add where he can and tweak where he can with no expectations of either failure or success.

Pretty much. He sounds like he knows he won't be able to add the necessary offensive talent to make us a playoff team but he can at least put the younger players in better situations and not have a team with only 14 ROW.

Pretty much. He sounds like he knows he won't be able to add the necessary offensive talent to make us a playoff team but he can at least put the younger players in better situations and not have a team with only 14 ROW.

He's just being realistic and making sure that expectaitons are lower.

Realistically, they won't be able a playoff team next year without ALOT of things going their way and some luck. Not saying it won't or can't happen, but realistically it won't happen.

The plan is to improve the team, but not have people expecting a complete turnaround in just one year.

I do think that they are planning for next year to be a huge difference from this year, but just not Huge enough to make the playoffs

Late to the party.... Thanks 26 for all the information and access throughout the season.

Thanks to GODD for the contest

Thanks to everyone that contributed in positive and negative ways lol

Wish I was able to post more than I could, but duty calls, time to enjoy some playoffs and wait til next year!!

Late to the party.... Thanks 26 for all the information and access throughout the season.

Thanks to GODD for the contest

Thanks to everyone that contributed in positive and negative ways lol

Wish I was able to post more than I could, but duty calls, time to enjoy some playoffs and wait til next year!!

You spent med school puking in cadavers, I think it would be best for all parties involved if you post more ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.