GDT: Minnesota at Buffalo 10-14-13 at 7:30 PM

26CornerBlitz

Exactly. Everyone liked my ex-brother in- law also. He no longer gets invited to the family reunion.

Maybe after his career like Hasek and Mogilny but even that is debatable.

I'd say it's nothing like your former brother in law. There's an obvious downside to inviting your sister's ex-husband to a family event. There's no downside to honoring a former captain who spent 12 years in the organization.

They did it for LaFontaine and it wasn't a controversial move.

Darcy said that?

Also - great find on the Lafontaine return game.

Best-practices required the franchise recognize Pominville's return. It would have run something like this.

First media time-out: "The Buffalo Sabres would like to welcome back Jason Pominville to the First Niagara Center. The Sabres selected Jason with the __ pick in ____. Jason played __ years for the team during which time he recorded __ goals and __ assists for __ points. He also contributed __ goals and __ assists in his playoff career with the Sabres. Jason was also team captain from ___ until ___. Welcome back, Jason! <cue fade into OT Ottawa goal with RJ call.>"

That said, the media's making more out of the oversight than is warranted.

This would have been nice. And it would have fit nicely in the Hockey Heaven theme.

I'd say it's nothing like your former brother in law. There's an obvious downside to inviting your sister's ex-husband to a family event. There's no downside to honoring a former captain who spent 12 years in the organization.

They did it for LaFontaine and it wasn't a controversial move.

This would have been nice. And it would have fit nicely in the Hockey Heaven theme.

I don't think it should be controversial either way. I wouldn't have had a problem if they did something, and I don't have a problem they didn't. When he retires, sure, have a Pommer night. But while he's still playing? Meh. Again, if the team didn't suck so bad, I doubt this gets much press at all.

Darcy said that?

Also - great find on the Lafontaine return game.

Best-practices required the franchise recognize Pominville's return. It would have run something like this.

First media time-out: "The Buffalo Sabres would like to welcome back Jason Pominville to the First Niagara Center. The Sabres selected Jason with the __ pick in ____. Jason played __ years for the team during which time he recorded __ goals and __ assists for __ points. He also contributed __ goals and __ assists in his playoff career with the Sabres. Jason was also team captain from ___ until ___. Welcome back, Jason! <cue fade into OT Ottawa goal with RJ call.>"

That said, the media's making more out of the oversight than is warranted.

You are on the money with the text of your tribute. What would it have hurt to do that?

Also, I agree the media is exaggerating the oversight...but, they can only tell their audience "The Sabres are not playing well..." so many times. They need something else to say.

On his weekly appearance with Schopp & the Bulldog.

If I'm lying, I'm dying.

Cripes. I'd like to hear what he said. That's some potentially serious biscuit right there (I have no idea what means).

Word on the street is they're flying in Lindy so he can bop him in the head with a stick.

Nah -- that was Luke Adam.

http://audio.wgr550....tm?pageid=28473

For context, Schopp's question is at 11:00.

Man.

Welp.

I guess it's not as bad as I might've thought. Darcy appears to be saying that the hockey department comes up with a menu of approaches and re-tooling scenarios and then lets Pegula choose from them. That's not crazy talk. The concern on my part is that it's Darcy's who's not only creating the menu, but then preparing the dishes as well.

I'm afraid, for me anyway, the new "NBC game" is going to be "Dunleavy game." Wow, is that guy dull. Almost as dull as Ted was, and even more Canadian. Sorry, Darlings and Canada. I know you can't have another Jeanneret. But this fan base is used to a certain amount of energy in the booth. Probably being too harsh, but he's done enough games now for me to start forming conclusions.

Disagree in part and agree in part.

The comparison to Darling is actually quite apt. You say you weren't fond of Ted when he called the games on TV? Jesus, man, if so.

Call the game straight, call it competently, intelligently, with a little humor and flavor seasoned in here and there, sound fairly Canadian in doing so -- check, check, check, and check for this fan. I love it.

The idea that the franchise would seek to maintain the level of "energy" that RJ brought to the job (an energy, btw, that was years in the making and, for the last decade or so (or more), increasingly became a caricature of itself) is a deeply flawed one. No one was going to replace RJ, and it would've been a mistake to find a PBP talent who might match (or try to match) the "energy" for which RJ (and his brand) became known (and which was ceaselessly marketed by the club).

Far better to go with a guy like Dunleavy.

Disagree in part and agree in part.

The comparison to Darling is actually quite apt. You say you weren't fond of Ted when he called the games on TV? Jesus, man, if so.

Call the game straight, call it competently, intelligently, with a little humor and flavor seasoned in here and there, sound fairly Canadian in doing so -- check, check, check, and check for this fan. I love it.

The idea that the franchise would seek to maintain the level of "energy" that RJ brought to the job (an energy, btw, that was years in the making and, for the last decade or so (or more), increasingly became a caricature of itself) is a deeply flawed one. No one was going to replace RJ, and it would've been a mistake to find a PBP talent who might match (or try to match) the "energy" for which RJ (and his brand) became known (and which was ceaselessly marketed by the club).

Far better to go with a guy like Dunleavy.

I don't want a copycat of Rick. But this is a fairly startling transition to ask the fans to make — hence the gradual introduction of Dan, I suppose. I might come around. Just not crazy about the voice. "Zone" is one syllable where I come from. Of course, where I come from, people "onthaw" ground meat to make sloppy joes.

Sure, I liked Ted. But that was a long time ago, and Sabres hockey left that approach behind in the mid 90s.

Finally, I don't think it took Rick years to be Rick. He was Rick from day one, no? I didn't hear the first couple of seasons, but when I started listening in '75, that's the first thing that jumped out at me: this guy's a little crazy.

I know. I was being snarky. Why Jenerette in the url?

Man.

Welp.

I guess it's not as bad as I might've thought. Darcy appears to be saying that the hockey department comes up with a menu of approaches and re-tooling scenarios and then lets Pegula choose from them. That's not crazy talk. The concern on my part is that it's Darcy's who's not only creating the menu, but then preparing the dishes as well.

I don't want Terry choosing from a menu. I want the pros doing the big boy work.

Archived