Darcy the scouting staff and the Draft

SabresBillsFan

Where he has been horrible is finding gritty, character forwards who can contribute on offense. I don't think we have seen one homegrown forward in his entire 16 years here. This draft was loaded with them, and we had the chance to grab 2 of them with the skill level to be in the NHL in short order.....the type of guys who win

Paille was supposed to be that guy. Before that, Barrett Heisten.

Maybe Compher will third time lucky.

There's something liberating in that.

There is. Some of the best movies I see in the theater are the ones that I have no expectation of being any good- then I end up pleasantly surprised that the cinematic turd sandwich I thought I was going to see was pretty enjoyable. You can free yourself from expectation with this team. Don't demand a contender, just enjoy the show. Watch the kids grow up, watch the new coach work, and enjoy wins as they come. Suffering's not suffering if you don't let the losses hurt.

Not everyone can or wants to do this, and I'm not preaching it, but it'll be the path for some.

Kassian has the body and the nasy streak. But he never had the character.

(Or at least not after he saw Lindy massage Lukey with a stick.)

Seriously though, Torts and Kassian had never occurred to me before.

That will be interesting to watch.

If you Google nhl draft grades 2013 and look at the various outlets giving their opinions, the Sabres were given either A+, A or A- by every single one of them - for what it's worth.

That's based on the first exam of the semester. Has anyone bothered to grade these drafts five years later and compare the scores?

The opening day roster could be a little bit of a cringer on paper, but as long as John Scott continues to photobomb rookie interviews, this team will be fun to watch.

And don't forget Steve Ott being Steve Ott, that's always entertaining.

Kass and torts are not gonna mesh good together

I think they will be good. Torts hates fools, and Kassian can be a big fool at times....but torts also loves guys who have a fun streak to them if they are willing to go out and punish people and play hard, which Kassian also has the ability to do. I think Torts will get a kick out of Kassian. He will be frustrated by him at times and have to maybe send a message, but he likes a give-and-take with players he respects. Bellicheck is a lot like that. If you are a pure fool, he doesn't want you. If you are "fun", he can work with you as long as you are dedicated and know your role. The difference between Torts and Lindy in their "gruffness" is I feel Torts tries to leverage that personality into a stronger player. Lindy has the same ability for give and take, but it is usually only with older guys...he usually tries to drive his system and command home to the younger guys, and for far too long Buffalo tried to develop their core of younger guys....so it went stale.

I would look for both NY and Vancouver to do at least as well as last year.

I dont think kass is a play hard type of guy. That is where i think the friction will be. Torts will want more effort more often. Kass will get moody and tune him out. Torts will be torts and call him out/bench him/send him to ahl. I dont think it ends well for either of them

I dont think kass is a play hard type of guy. That is where i think the friction will be. Torts will want more effort more often. Kass will get moody and tune him out. Torts will be torts and call him out/bench him/send him to ahl. I dont think it ends well for either of them

We shall see. I feel Kassian has an on/off switch, and it will be up to Tortorella to get him to keep the switch ON at all times...but with a dimmer. He was able to do that for the Rangers young D-men and they really developed. I like how they are going with Luongo. He should calm down now that there isn't revolving goalies. Lou for 60 and someone Marty/Emery type to work hard, keep things loose, and play 22. I would also expect them to add a Morrow or Iginla type to the roster as they have already added Horvat. I'm excited to see what they will all do together.

I think they will be good. Torts hates fools, and Kassian can be a big fool at times....but torts also loves guys who have a fun streak to them if they are willing to go out and punish people and play hard, which Kassian also has the ability to do. I think Torts will get a kick out of Kassian. He will be frustrated by him at times and have to maybe send a message, but he likes a give-and-take with players he respects. Bellicheck is a lot like that. If you are a pure fool, he doesn't want you. If you are "fun", he can work with you as long as you are dedicated and know your role. The difference between Torts and Lindy in their "gruffness" is I feel Torts tries to leverage that personality into a stronger player. Lindy has the same ability for give and take, but it is usually only with older guys...he usually tries to drive his system and command home to the younger guys, and for far too long Buffalo tried to develop their core of younger guys....so it went stale.

I would look for both NY and Vancouver to do at least as well as last year.

Belichek was fine with Aaron Hernandez.

I don't usually stick up for Darcy but I don't believe he should be feeling the heat for all these picks. I think the scouting staff had numerous guys they targeted and they wanted those players they had on their board. Yes we passed on some quality offensive players but remember people they said be prepared for suffering. None of these players they picked yesterday are going to step in next year anyways except for a possibilty of Ristolainen. And to me Ristolainen seems like a solid pick plus you throw in a 6'5" Zadorov who can skate and hit. Wow all of a sudden we just got meanier on the back end. Plus 6 forwards taken 3 in the second round. Plus you throw in the 4th ranked goaltender. And the rebuild is underway. Yes we all know Darcy probably messed up when Carolina had targeted Sekera and Buffalo could have moved from 8 to 5. But I think Darcy, Kevin Devine and the rest of the scouts had targeted Ristolainen so they were comfortable on just sitting at 8. Then you can say that Kevin and the scouts really wanted TJ Compher that's why the Sekera trade went down. Plus you look at the draft for next year right now we have 1 1st rounder and 4 2nd rounders. Plus Vanek and Miller will be gone I'm guessing by trade deadline. So they will probably have more picks in 2014 and 2015. What are everyone's thoughts on the draft yesterday?

I understand where you're coming from and in principle I agree with you.

HOWEVER this case is an exception. I say that because I don't believe Nichushkin is just another good forward. This guy has the talent to be a game change...a superstar. Of course there are no guarantees, but how many opportunities does a team have to draft a potential Malkin? When the potential prize is that good, you have to take the risk IMO and to hell with conservative thinking.

If you Google nhl draft grades 2013 and look at the various outlets giving their opinions, the Sabres were given either A+, A or A- by every single one of them - for what it's worth.

I have been reading those reviews in an effort to keep my blood pressure under control. I have been semi-successful. Ristolainen seems like as sure a pick to make the NHL as you can get at nr. 8, so I'm consoling myself with that fact. I still think our problem is more at forward than defense, but I am coming around...slowly. (P.S. Picking Zadorov instead of Shinkaruk or Mantha, isn't helping either).

The more I read, the more I'm impressed with our second round selections. Maybe that's a testament to how deep this draft was or what you can do when you take an already good drafting team and give them unlimited scouting resources. Kevin Devine could turn out to be Jim Benning II.

The more I read, the more I'm impressed with our second round selections. Maybe that's a testament to how deep this draft was or what you can do when you take an already good drafting team and give them unlimited scouting resources. Kevin Devine could turn out to be Jim Benning II.

I really don't know who Jim Benning is, but I hope you're right. My only regret about the second round is that we didn't take Carrier. That kid could be a real star.

If there is one person in the organization I love, it is Devine.

Archived