Sabres re-sign Mike Weber to a 3 year deal

26CornerBlitz

Regier on Weber in press conference, verbatim: "Mike Weber is a heart and soul guy that continues to improve. Defensively, he's beginning to take on a leadership role, recognized in the room by example and by his behavior that is worthy of being followed. We look for him as someone that is a glue guy on this team that is going to contribute in a lot of different ways, other than even what he does on the ice."

It's a good signing on its merits and hopefully it comes with a bonus in that we'll be in a better position to re-sign Ott, since he and Weber are BFFs.

Hopefully them being BFF's helps. If there's ever a time when a team needs some character players, it's when the team is young. I think it was mentioned that after the trade deadline the Sabres were the youngest team in the league. Not sure where that stands now.

Regier on Weber in press conference, verbatim: "Mike Weber is a heart and soul guy that continues to improve. Defensively, he's beginning to take on a leadership role, recognized in the room by example and by his behavior that is worthy of being followed. We look for him as someone that is a glue guy on this team that is going to contribute in a lot of different ways, other than even what he does on the ice."

Weber praise I always like... However, Mike needs to continue to exceed expectations and get better. Right now we are young and shallow on defense so he is probably a top4 guy but on a true cup team? Honestly Weber is your #6 or #7 guy. I hope he keeps working and improving because we could use some guys actually exceeding their potential.

Which is where Regehr's influence will be seen for years hopefully.

I'm happy with this re-signing. He's a solid plus 3 in the plus/minus side, a big improvement from 2011-12 where he was an awful -19.

Plus he's one of the few guys to actually show some passion - but he needs to work on reducing his PIM.

Archived