Phil Housley Named Predators New Associate coach

North Buffalo

I had some ambivalent feelings about Phil..... nobody could skate like him, ever. But, nobody could get pushed out of the way quite like him either.

I wonder what his numbers would have looked like with 4 more feet to work with on the blue line. He was amazing on the power play.

Every time I see Eric Karlson I'm thinking Housley.

The Preds fired long-time assistant coach Peter Horachek out of nowhere on Monday then hired Housley today. The firing of Horachek was a shock to most. I guess Poille really thinks highly of Housley.

http://www.tennessea...oung-defensemen

More highly than Darcy does at any rate. He would have fit right in with the whole "coach as teacher" philosophy. BTW, no word yet on new Sabre assistant coaches?

Man, I thought I read an oblique Tweet to the effect that Karlsson was a converted center who was originally taken in the 7th round. I looked him up, and he's not the guy that was being referenced. I can't even recall who Tweeted it. Is there a good-to-great defenseman in the league right now who was taken in the late rounds as a center? Maybe I dreamt this.

BTW, no word yet on new Sabre assistant coaches?

What on earth is going on?

Man, I thought I read an oblique Tweet to the effect that Karlsson was a converted center who was originally taken in the 7th round. I looked him up, and he's not the guy that was being referenced. I can't even recall who Tweeted it. Is there a good-to-great defenseman in the league right now who was taken in the late rounds as a center? Maybe I dreamt this.

Jonathan Ericsson from Detroit

from Wikipedia:

Ericsson was drafted 291st overall in the ninth round of the 2002 NHL Entry Draft as the last player of the draft, by the Detroit Red Wings. Ericsson began his playing career as a center, playing all but one game of the 2001–2002 season at the position for Hasten's junior team. However, when playing one game on defense, Detroit Red Wings scout Håkan Andersson watched the game and convinced Ericsson to become a permanent defenseman. Detroit then drafted him that summer.[3]

Jonathan Ericsson from Detroit

from Wikipedia:

Ericsson was drafted 291st overall in the ninth round of the 2002 NHL Entry Draft as the last player of the draft, by the Detroit Red Wings. Ericsson began his playing career as a center, playing all but one game of the 2001–2002 season at the position for Hasten's junior team. However, when playing one game on defense, Detroit Red Wings scout Håkan Andersson watched the game and convinced Ericsson to become a permanent defenseman. Detroit then drafted him that summer.[3]

thanks so much -- it must've been the double-S's that got me confused (there's even a double-S in the name of the wings' scout who plays a role in the story).

I had some ambivalent feelings about Phil..... nobody could skate like him, ever. But, nobody could get pushed out of the way quite like him either.

I wonder what his numbers would have looked like with 4 more feet to work with on the blue line. He was amazing on the power play.

My feelings about Whimply are not remotely ambivalent.

He NEVER should have played D except on the PP.

He NEVER should have been allowed on the ice when Stephane Richer was on the ice. (As Jamie Hyneman is so fond of saying - 'EVER!')

Getting Ducks for him was one of the Greatest Trades EVER!

He NEVER should have been allowed on the ice when Stephane Richer was on the ice. (As Jamie Hyneman is so fond of saying - 'EVER!')

Don't forget May.

:thumbsup:

You are not straddling the fence on this one. :lol:

Archived