Game of Thrones

qwksndmonster

Nope, no snow below them.  Here is a clip of Myranda's death only moments before, showing virtually no snow on the ground at the bottom of that parapet:

As you'd expect, she died upon hitting the ground, as literally every human being in the world would.  :doh:

edit: OK I just found the whole jumping scene:

They jump off a nearby wall, not in the exact same spot.  However, they actually walk UP some stairs first, which means the jump was even higher.  It does show that there is some snow below, but come oooon, it's at least a hundred feet down.  Give me a break, writers.  <_< 

Edited by cdexchange

I have no way to check but is the old Melisandre the old woman who foretold Cersei her children's fate??? Could that be the tie-in that Cersei brought it up to Jaime and the episode ending with her transformation.

Did I also see some old camel toe in that last scene?? The thought of that pretty much killed my midnight snack Sunday.

(This exchange happened in an alternate universe Sabres will win the divison thread) [We used pi's infinite improbability drive to obtain this]

Your voice on the GoT podcast may be super nerdy, but your posts here are not  :P

I did much better in the re-record.  I'm still a ###### dork, so I'm glad my personality shined through.  We did our intro and covered the first 19 minutes of the episode.  An hour and a half of talking right there.  It's so fun because this is what we do anyways, now we just try to do it better and say like, uhhhhhh, ANYWAYS, but, uhhhhh less.  Listening to yourself suck at talking: not pleasant.

I'm glad my first lectures ~5 years ago were not recorded. Seriously, I'd hate to listen to that ######. Also, where is your podcast? I need a voice to put to our forthcoming weekly GoT disagreements.

We finished our recording session an hour ago. Non sequitur here, but I'm glad Jason Pominville is still our captain.  Good call by Babdick on that one. Anyways,  once I have this bit edited I'll post a link to it in the GoT thread.  Obviously it wont be the finished product, but you'll get a very clear picture of my relationship with the show.

Sabrespacers get a behind the scenes sneakpeak to the debut of my hypothetical fantastical career as an opinion haver! yayyyyy 

Edited by qwksndmonster

Wow, our second recording session went way better than the first.  I've got  ~40 minutes listened to so far. 13 minutes of us introducing ourselves and our asoiaf fandom cred, so to speak, and 27 minutes of us talking about the first scene at the Wall. I only had to edit out one joke in poor taste.

I bet you'll be able to figure out which one's me.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxR02_O85zCkcWlKeTJCMVpNMkU/view?usp=sharing

You might have to use the music player for google drive to listen to it.

Edited by qwksndmonster

They brought the Ironborn back surprisingly well after such a long absence.  The scene with Balon and Asha was well done, showing the audience that she's got a better head for ruling than her father.  He's a pathetic old man pretending that he won the war of the 5 kings, and he deserved to get killed by Euron.  Euron's bragging was a little weird, it kinda sounded like he was showing off for an audience but whatevs, the scene flowed well enough.  Then the funeral scene with Aeron Greyjoy (Balon and Euron's other brother, the priest) set up Asha's Queen's Moot.

They brought the Ironborn back surprisingly well after such a long absence.  The scene with Balon and Asha was well done, showing the audience that she's got a better head for ruling than her father.  He's a pathetic old man pretending that he won the war of the 5 kings, and he deserved to get killed by Euron.  Euron's bragging was a little weird, it kinda sounded like he was showing off for an audience but whatevs, the scene flowed well enough.  Then the funeral scene with Aeron Greyjoy (Balon and Euron's other brother, the priest) set up Asha's Queen's Moot.

I think it set up Theon and not Asha but we'll see.

They brought the Ironborn back surprisingly well after such a long absence. The scene with Balon and Asha was well done, showing the audience that she's got a better head for ruling than her father. He's a pathetic old man pretending that he won the war of the 5 kings, and he deserved to get killed by Euron. Euron's bragging was a little weird, it kinda sounded like he was showing off for an audience but whatevs, the scene flowed well enough. Then the funeral scene with Aeron Greyjoy (Balon and Euron's other brother, the priest) set up Asha's Queen's Moot.

Maybe it's because I'm old or I've consumed enough alcohol in my lifetime to inebriate all of WNY but I couldn't put a name to the face of any of the characters you just mentioned.

Maybe it's because I'm old or I've consumed enough alcohol in my lifetime to inebriate all of WNY but I couldn't put a name to the face of any of the characters you just mentioned.

Yeah, that's what I'd expect from most people that haven't seen the ironborn in like 2 or more years. They were an incredibly small part in the show. Asha (Theon's sister) is actually named Yara in the show. Euron is a new character to the show.

I think it set up Theon and not Asha but we'll see.

Well, even if Theon does become the ruler of the Iron Islands he'll need an heir.

I'm officially excited. I may be in the minority, but I'm thrilled we're beyond book material now. Bring on new stuff!

I really liked how they tied Jon Snow's consciousness to Ghost's. Well done.

--Good character moments for Melisandre recently. From supremely confident bordering on arrogant, to full of doubt, to....? Good stuff.

--I eagerly await Jon executing Thorne... 

--...if he's still Lord Commander. Will the resurrection change him? Will the Watch and the Walkers still be his #1 priority? Will it release him from his vows so he can go to war for the north? Lots of possibilities here.

Tyrion: still smarter than most everyone else.

Ramsay is so awesomely hateable, but man, if there isn't a part of me that smiled when he offed Roose.

I find it humorous that Tommen is turning to Cersei for help leading, when it was her terrible decisions that led to the current situation.

Pretty stoked about flashbacks involving Bran. I'm a sucker for backstory.

I actually liked that episode. Better than anything season 5 had to offer.

Who are you? :p

As Qwk said, I'd expect this is the case for most show watchers who didn't read the books.

Ahhh, I just needed Blue here liking stuff to remind me of all the things I hated about the episode.  I loved the Tyrion/dragons scene, but I hated the Tyrion in the council room scene.  It was almost masturbatory how cool they wanted Tyrion to look.  I DRINK AND I KNOW THINGS.  I really thought the line was going to be "I drink and I read."  Why is Tyrion still acting like season 1 Tyrion?  Him going in to confront the dragons could've been depicted as a mad act of somebody that truly doesn't care if they live or die (or more accurately, doesn't want to live without dragons).  Apparently the act of killing his father and lover was only good for ~9 episodes of sadness and absolutely no character development. Varys is still useless and NOT Varys.  Tyrion made more "hey Varys you're a eunuch" jokes.  Yipeeee.

Dolorous Edd NOT killing Thorne on the spot makes no sense whatsoever.  He thinks Jon is dead, he wouldn't chance leaving Thorne alive so another fool can be chosen for LC and let him go.  Speaking of which, that scene where the wildlings busted in really reinforced all the stupid dumb things about episode one.  I was asking myself "why would Thorne do this when his castle is indefensible to the South?" "Why doesn't Thorne just bust into that room and kill them?  Did Davos really befuddle him that much?"  And then in episode two it's revealed that: Alliser Thorne is a huge dumbass.  Compelling stuff.

Roose Bolton getting shoved aside so Ramsay can be the big bad is sooooooooo boring.  Roose wouldn't suspect that of Ramsay? Really?  Roose Bolton is just another dumb idiot?  I didn't feel like Roose was getting what he deserved for the Red Wedding it just felt... stupid. Roose also added to the Thorne is a dumbass thing by explaining that the North lords would never accept the LC of the NW getting assassinated.  I know there are eventually going to be North lords in the show this season, but so far every single bit of information about the current lords in the North have been given to us through Roose Bolton exposition.  This show sucks.

------------------------

As soon as Lyanna showed up in the flashback I instantly started crying.  Oh Ned.

I am so glad they made Ghost important in the resurrection of Jon Snow.  That said, now that he's back we can look at his assassination as a whole.  I declare it a complete, miserable failure of storytelling.  There was no dramatic set-up for his death and the logical reasons they gave were so offensively nonsensical that they just made every character involved look like a pillock.  The tension in Castle Black that they manufactured from his death was inconsequential and resulted in the status quo returning which means... absolutely nothing is different for Jon Snow now that he's alive.  I'm sure he'll talk about how being dead was weird and he feels strange/is a warg, but having the political situation at the wall be EXACTLY like it was before Jon Snow died except that a bunch of mutineers are found out doesn't move the story about the War for the Dawn forward at all.  Jon Snow dying was just a stop on the side of the road, done entirely for the purposes of a cliffhanger and trying to "break the internet."

I'm officially excited. I may be in the minority, but I'm thrilled we're beyond book material now. Bring on new stuff!

...we're not, though.  Arya's in the thick of her super slow moving book plot, the iron islands are still in the books, and

Jaime is apparently going to the Riverlands this season so he's still in the books.

So Jon, Dany, and Cersei are the only plots that are truly beyond the books.

And Dorne is... happening I guess??

Roose Bolton existed in this show for no reason.

Up until now I was giving his character so much credit. "He's just subtle! They're doing a slow burn to reveal his darker side!" I told myself.

But no. He was just a placeholder bad guy until Ramsay got around to killing him.

They keep doing this, where they take established Lords that have been around for ages and have them killed with no real drama or justification. Roose has apparently been ruling his lands with fear for his entire life but has no inkling what kind of monster his bastard son is. He threatens Ramsay's place in life with the possibility of Walda's baby being a boy. Then when that comes to pass Roose has no fear that Ramsay would do exactly what he did?

And why did the showrunners bother with that scene where Ramsay feeds Fat Walda and her baby to the dogs? To build up Ramsay? Not necessary. Because we care about Walda? No we don't.

Basically they thought it would be EPIC if BAD GUY Ramsay fed a mother and her newborn to his Schrodingers hounds. How neat. So much value added.

Up until now I was giving his character so much credit. "He's just subtle! They're doing a slow burn to reveal his darker side!" I told myself.

But no. He was just a placeholder bad guy until Ramsay got around to killing him.

They keep doing this, where they take established Lords that have been around for ages and have them killed with no real drama or justification. Roose has apparently been ruling his lands with fear for his entire life but has no inkling what kind of monster his bastard son is. He threatens Ramsay's place in life with the possibility of Walda's baby being a boy. Then when that comes to pass Roose has no fear that Ramsay would do exactly what he did?

And why did the showrunners bother with that scene where Ramsay feeds Fat Walda and her baby to the dogs? To build up Ramsay? Not necessary. Because we care about Walda? No we don't.

Basically they thought it would be EPIC if BAD GUY Ramsay fed a mother and her newborn to his Schrodingers hounds. How neat. So much value added.

I really wanted to comment on all things Bolton but I think you did a way better job than I could have.

I think you greatly underestimate the power of arrogance.

Roose Bolton is dumb because he's arrogant? Wow. That's compelling.

It's like you want character perfection. Half the message from Martin's characters is that everyone is flawed, everyone has some kind of weakness. Roose couldn't get to the point of even imagining Ramsay moving against him. Think of the books, Roose was the one person Ramsay would figuratively bow to at every turn. Ramsay stabbing him, to Roose, wouldn't even pass the sniff test.

It's like you want character perfection. Half the message from Martin's characters is that everyone is flawed, everyone has some kind of weakness. Roose couldn't get to the point of even imagining Ramsay moving against him. Think of the books, Roose was the one person Ramsay would figuratively bow to at every turn. Ramsay stabbing him, to Roose, wouldn't even pass the sniff test.

No, I want my characters to be consistent and actually be, uhhh, characters.  And I want stuff to happen for a reason. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.