Best Sabres FO move ever?

IKnowPhysics

If Physics starts a poll, that is the problem: it's a freaking landslide. There probably are Buffalonians who wanted him to succeed JPII to the papacy.

If I started a poll, I'd let users pick their top three. That'd spread out the love a little.

Gerry Meehan, not Don.

Yeah, I got crossed up because Don (Luce) was the other main character. I obviously didn't mean to bring up the slimeball player agent.

This shows that Winnpeg swap the 1993 3rd and the 1994 5th in each trade.

So Beauregard: WInnipeg to Buffalo to Chicago back to WInnipeg to Philly back to Winnipeg.

Chicago nets Ruuttu and a 4th rounder (Eric Daze) from Buffalo

Buffalo nets Hasek from Chicago and "future considerations" from Winnipeg (nothing?)

Philly lets WInnipeg draft their 3rd round in '93 (Milos Holan) and drafts their own 5th round pick in '94.

Winnipeg keeps Beauregard

Jesus.

A particle is moving around in a circle and its position is given in polar coordinates as x = Rcosθ, and y = Rsinθ, where R is the radius of the circle, and θ is in radians. From these equations derive the equation for centripetal acceleration.

A particle is moving around in a circle and its position is given in polar coordinates as x = Rcosθ, and y = Rsinθ, where R is the radius of the circle, and θ is in radians. From these equations derive the equation for centripetal acceleration.

It is the merit of the Circles that they have effectually suppressed those ancient heresies which led men to waste energy and sympathy in the vain belief that conduct depends upon will, effort, training, encouragement, praise, or anything else but Configuration. It was Pantocyclus -- the illustrious Circle mentioned above, as the queller of the Colour Revolt -- who first convinced mankind that Configuration makes the man; that if, for example, you are born an Isosceles with two uneven sides, you will assuredly go wrong unless you have them made even -- for which purpose you must go to the Isosceles Hospital; similiarly, if you are a Triangle, or Square, or even a Polygon, born with any Irregularity, you must be taken to one of the Regular Hospitals to have your disease cured; otherwise you will end your days in the State Prison or by the angle of the State Executioner.

Punch Imlach on Buffalo very first draft the choice of number 11. It turned out that the two new franchises would choose 1 - 2 , the choice being made via spin of wheel. Vancouver got choices from 1 - 10 Buffalo from one to twenty. The wheel was spun, initially it was thought that Vancouver had won the right to first pick as the Commissioner thought that the spin had fallen on number one. Punch Imlach asked them to check again, it turned out the spin had landed on 11 and not 1, thus Buffalo with the first pick were able to select arguably the greatest Buffalo Sabre ever, Gilbert Perreault. Great move to choose Perreault and great move to contest the spin.

It may also be of interest this was first year Montreal Canadians did not have lock on Quebec players in draft.

This is exactly what came to mind immediately when I opened this thread. I was shocked to see that it took so many posts before it was mentioned. Yes, it was luck with the wheel followed up by the no brainer first overall pick, but this was clearly a franchise defining moment.

As far as immediate and lasting impact, selecting Perreault (and the lucky spin of the wheel) is the FO's best move. Perreault's talent made the team an immediate success with the fans and on the ice. The fact that an "expansion" franchise took out the vaunted Montreal Canadiens in the '73 playoffs raised some eyebrows and legitimized the team. Perreault was a huge part of that. If the Sabres had drafted anyone else, I'm not sure things would have turned out quite the same.

As far as immediate and lasting impact, selecting Perreault (and the lucky spin of the wheel) is the FO's best move. Perreault's talent made the team an immediate success with the fans and on the ice. The fact that an "expansion" franchise took out the vaunted Montreal Canadiens in the '73 playoffs raised some eyebrows and legitimized the team. Perreault was a huge part of that. If the Sabres had drafted anyone else, I'm not sure things would have turned out quite the same.

:huh:

You sure you aren't referring to '75?

I wouldn't consider defying the odds and losing in 6 rather than 5 or being swept to be 'taking them out.'

The Swordsmen may not have taken the vaunted Habs "out" in '73, but it was the genesis of the "Thank you Sabres" chant which still gives me chills when I hear it replayed now nearly 40 years later.

It is the merit of the Circles that they have effectually suppressed those ancient heresies which led men to waste energy and sympathy in the vain belief that conduct depends upon will, effort, training, encouragement, praise, or anything else but Configuration. It was Pantocyclus -- the illustrious Circle mentioned above, as the queller of the Colour Revolt -- who first convinced mankind that Configuration makes the man; that if, for example, you are born an Isosceles with two uneven sides, you will assuredly go wrong unless you have them made even -- for which purpose you must go to the Isosceles Hospital; similiarly, if you are a Triangle, or Square, or even a Polygon, born with any Irregularity, you must be taken to one of the Regular Hospitals to have your disease cured; otherwise you will end your days in the State Prison or by the angle of the State Executioner.

Then all at once the chaos ceased. A stillness fell, a sudden peace. The warriors felt my silent cry, and stayed their struggle, mystified.

Apollo was atonished; Dionysus thought me mad. But they heard my story further, and they wondered, and were sad.

Looking down from olympus, on a world of doubt and fear--Its surface splintered Into sorry hemispheres.

They sat a while in silence, then they turned at last to me, "We will call you Cygnus--the god of balance, you shall be."

:huh:

You sure you aren't referring to '75?

I wouldn't consider defying the odds and losing in 6 rather than 5 or being swept to be 'taking them out.'

Sorry, the memory is failing - the Sabres made the playoffs for the first time in '73 and met the Habs, but lost in 6 games. (Somehow I gave that series to the Sabres - wishful thinking, I guess).

He had a busy year:

• 1992-Jun-15 Traded from Winnipeg Jets to Buffalo Sabres for Christian Ruuttu and future considerations
  • 1992-Aug-07 Traded from Buffalo Sabres with future considerations to Chicago Blackhawks for Dominik Hasek
  • 1992-Aug-10 Traded from Chicago Blackhawks to Winnipeg Jets for Christian Ruuttu
  • 1992-Oct-01 Traded from Winnipeg Jets to Philadelphia Flyers for future considerations and round 3 pick in the 1993 draft
  • 1993-Jun-11 Traded from Philadelphia Flyers to Winnipeg Jets for round 3 pick in the 1993 draft and round 5 pick in the 1994 draft

http://www.hockeydb....lay.php?pid=277

I love this, that's a true fail on part of Winnipeg they couldn't seem to figure out if they wanted him or not.

They gained nothing from the many trades and lost a 5th rounder.

I love this, that's a true fail on part of Winnipeg they couldn't seem to figure out if they wanted him or not.

They gained nothing from the many trades and lost a 5th rounder.

They didn't want to lose him for nothing, that was the reason for the Hawks/Sabres trades.

He'd been Essensa's backup for a couple of years and both he and Essensa had a great season in '91-'92. (Essensa had 5th best GAA in the league, and Beauregard was right behind in 6th.) Essensa was Winnipeg's guy, but Beauregard was young and promising. Beauregard would have definitely been taken in the draft if he'd've been exposed.

Buffalo had the 3 headed goalie monster of Malarchuk (post-injury), Draper, and Puppa; none of which were likely to be taken by Tampa or the Otters. So they worked out a deal to have Buffalo protect Beauregard and ended up with him back after they waited a few weeks to make it not obvious that Winnipeg's role in the deals was circumvention of the expansion draft.

After Filly found out that they'd won the Lindros trade, they were suddenly without a goalie. They didn't want to go into the season with only 2 rookies in net and made the deal for Beauregard. Winnipeg figured that Tabaracci could handle the backup duty as he'd gotten into a bunch of games the previous 2 years and did OK. And again, they had Essensa who was still only 27 at the time and in his prime. They liked Beauregard, but weren't going to make him #1 with Essensa around. Turns out the Jets were wrong about Tabs; he couldn't handle the duty and was traded off to Washington.

Filly found out that Beauregard couldn't play nearly as well behind their suspect D as he'd done with guys like Numminen, Olausson, Carlyle, Housley, and Lalor in front of him. Soderstrom and Roussel had outplayed him and the Phlyers wanted their pick back. The Jets thought that they could get the '92 magic back essentially for the price of a 5th, but it didn't work out that way. Lose-ipeg was back in '93-'94 and Beauregard was on his way out of the league.

There's also a lot of future considerations in those deals. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some money involved.

No data on what the future considerations ended up, if anything. Considering the deals worked out with the players ending up where the teams wanted them to end up, I doubt the future considerations ended up transpiring. They probably were of the nature of, if one of your other goalies get picked and you decide you want to keep Beauregard, then we get a 10th rounder as well.

No data on what the future considerations ended up, if anything. Considering the deals worked out with the players ending up where the teams wanted them to end up, I doubt the future considerations ended up transpiring. They probably were of the nature of, if one of your other goalies get picked and you decide you want to keep Beauregard, then we get a 10th rounder as well.

I think the future considerations in the Buffalo-Chicago-Winnipeg one are probably pretty obvious, that he would wind up back in Winnipeg. The Philly one's a bit more questionable since he wasn't returned within such a short window. I wish we could find out what the future considerations wound up being in so many of these trades that have happened over the years. I bet you'd hear some very interesting stories.

I think the future considerations in the Buffalo-Chicago-Winnipeg one are probably pretty obvious, that he would wind up back in Winnipeg. The Philly one's a bit more questionable since he wasn't returned within such a short window. I wish we could find out what the future considerations wound up being in so many of these trades that have happened over the years. I bet you'd hear some very interesting stories.

What the hell are 'future considerations', aren't they nothing specific, either money, favours or some intangible or am I completely wrong?

What the hell are 'future considerations', aren't they nothing specific, either money, favours or some intangible or am I completely wrong?

I don't think there's really an answer to that question. They can be just about anything; money, agreeing to not draft a specific player, sexual favors... I bet if we could see what these "future considerations" amounted to over the years, we'd hear just about everything imaginable.

I don't think there's really an answer to that question. They can be just about anything; money, agreeing to not draft a specific player, sexual favors... I bet if we could see what these "future considerations" amounted to over the years, we'd hear just about everything imaginable.

Fair enuff, thanks for the answer. :)

Archived