Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

I've been attempting to read more and post off the cuff less. To elaborate on what I said, considering Ennis' limited sample/body of work, it is unlikely a team would try to poach him or give up a 1st rnd pick + for him. Personally I think Ennis will be a very good player as time goes by. If you look around the league most GM's avoid offer sheets and considering that the owner of this team has demonstrated he has absolutely no problem spending cash, it makes the Sabres RFA's less vulnerable.

Agree with all of this. Ennis right now is one of those guys who means more to the Sabres than he would elsewhere, and even if another team did value him highly they probably wouldn't believe they could a actually poach him away with Pegula in town.

If im not mistaken Cheechoo won the Rocket Richard and the next season tore up his knee pretty horribly, with his contract he had to be buried in Binghamton after being traded and then by the time that contract was up he was older and had terrible knee problems, he surely benefitted from the thornton trade but I do think he could have continued to be a great goal scorer if not for the injuries and bad luck.

I highly doubt an offer sheet and if it is anywhere over 3.1 million we get a first and a third round pick. SO i take the picks in that case. Still it isnt going to happen

Didn't realize he had a knee problem. He's not doing too bad in Peoria, 21-29-50 in 63 games. A shame a career he had going would get to that point. He won the Richard trophy in 2005 with 56 goals.

• 3 weeks later...

Most of them seem to think Hodgson wouldn't be making a huge difference for them. The part that hurts (Vancouver) is that none of them seem too thrilled with Kassian thus far.

EDIT: Also, I want to thank you for not letting posters have graphics and animations in their signatures here. That's really tough to look at for even a couple minutes.

Edited by Robviously

Watching the game last night, Kassian had a giveaway trying to clear his zone which led to a great scoring chance for LA, and I didn't see him on the ice after that. I never understood this trade from Vancouver's perspective in the first place--it was clear, to me at least, that Kassian simply wasn't ready to be a major contributor in the NHL, particularly not on a potential Stanley Cup team. This doesn't mean the trade is a bust long-term, or that Kassian won't develop...I just always felt it was the kind of thing that would have made far more sense in the offseason.

is it just me, or has kassian has the least TOI of all the canucks? not even by a little, by a very wide margin

He's essentially turned into the nucks version of Andrew Peters without the fighting.

He'll be fine but they have no use for him during the playoffs. He's not ready yet. He should be in the AHL.

He's essentially turned into the nucks version of Andrew Peters without the fighting.

He'll be fine but they have no use for him during the playoffs. He's not ready yet. He should be in the AHL.

Which makes you wonder if they feel the need to attempt to justify that trade now by keeping him around, even though it was much of a move for the future as it was for us.

It isn't easy. Power Forwards are usually slow to develop, and changing systems as a rookie doesn't help either.

Kassian may pay off for them down the line.

Do you expect Foligno to hit "the wall" at some point next season or did he get enough seasoning in the AHL?

Do you expect Foligno to hit "the wall" at some point next season or did he get enough seasoning in the AHL?

There is no way Foligno continues at the rate he was going at when he comes back to the NHL. Foligno has made remarkable progress in his game in the last

two years, but yeah, I would expect him to go into a funk at some point. Most usually do.

They want him for hitting and strength, remember their going for the cup this year and nothing less.

This is sarcasm, right? :unsure:

That was the plan anyway. I don't think a 1st round upset was their plan lol. Kass is mainly there to protect the star players, and from what I can tell his doing a really good job.

That was sarcasm.

That was the plan anyway. I don't think a 1st round upset was their plan lol. Kass is mainly there to protect the star players, and from what I can tell his doing a really good job.

That was sarcasm.

Well, no one has come out of the crowd and beat Henrik with a shoe on the bench, so he has that covered.

The more I watch the Canucks vs LA it is very evident the Sabres shafted Vancity on this trade.

Kassian doesn't get a chance to defend the stars because he barely plays and when he does, he can't engage anyone.

The Canucks are really missing that offensive punch, which Hodgson could provide.

The more I watch the Canucks vs LA it is very evident the Sabres shafted Vancity on this trade.

Kassian doesn't get a chance to defend the stars because he barely plays and when he does, he can't engage anyone.

The Canucks are really missing that offensive punch, which Hodgson could provide.

Honestly I think the only way Vancouver got shafted is if Kassian never develops. Hodgson was never going to reach his potential playing behind Sedin and Kesler, unless they traded one of them in the near future. Although with Daniel being injured, they could surely use Hodgson on the PP at least. Kassian just isn't ready this year to be an important contributor on a Cup team, but that doesn't mean he never will be. Long-term though, I still think a win-win for both teams is likely.

• Like (+1) 1

No, great point about Hodgson. He'd be getting plenty more minutes with Sedin shelved and MIGHT have given them just enough offense to push the envelope. If Vancouver really did pick up Kassian simply for this playoff push and not to help him develop, then they did get shafted, but not by the trade, by Duncan Keith. I know, I'm a broken record with that ###### but it's true.

• Like (+1) 1

He's played 15 mins COMBINED in the first three games. He has 3 points since being traded. He's pretty awful right now. He may develop down the road, but thats what the trade was for both sides, future development.

Edited by Patty16

He's played 15 mins COMBINED in the first three games. He has 3 points since being traded. He's pretty awful right now. He may develop down the road, but thats what the trade was for both sides, future development.

I don't think Vancouver makes the trade if it's solely with the future in mind. Hodgson was viewed as the heir apparent to Henrik Sedin as captain. The reasons stated for the trade were to add toughness to their lineup to win this year. They could certainly do alright in the trade once we see how everyone pans out but I don't think the Canucks were making deadline moves with next year in mind--- they were all in to win the Cup in 2012.

Edited by Punch

I don't think Vancouver makes the trade if it's solely with the future in mind. Hodgson was viewed as the heir apparent to Henrik Sedin as captain. The reasons stated for the trade were to add toughness to their lineup to win this year. They could certainly do alright in the trade once we see how everyone pans out but I don't think the Canucks were making deadline moves with next year in mind--- they were all in to win the Cup in 2012.

I agree with that too, i guess i dont see that toughness in Kassian. He rarely fought, and wasnt a dominating force. If I'm a fan of a team look for a cup run and I give up scoring depth (hodgson was playing very well for them) for Kassian.......I'm not happy. He's a very poor man's lucic.

Maybe there werent any other options out there. Certainly it hasnt worked out for him in Van so far. They are getting clobbered and his behind is stapled to the bench.

I agree with that too, i guess i dont see that toughness in Kassian. He rarely fought, and wasnt a dominating force. If I'm a fan of a team look for a cup run and I give up scoring depth (hodgson was playing very well for them) for Kassian.......I'm not happy. He's a very poor man's lucic.

Maybe there werent any other options out there. Certainly it hasnt worked out for him in Van so far. They are getting clobbered and his behind is stapled to the bench.

Oh I absolutely agree that Kassian has yet to show that kind of nastiness or consistent physical play--- and perhaps never will. But the Vancouver media at the very least was selling that 'Jr. Lucic' bill of goods.

Honestly, if the reports of a rift between Vigneault and Hodgson & his agent are true then maybe it is possible the deal was made to unload Cody when a good return was still available. But if they didn't truly believe Kassian was ready to play the role they've asked him to play then they're putting an awful lot of pressure on that young man.

• Like (+1) 1