Elmira Jackals ECHL

korab rules

Lets not fight. We are all trying to find out the same information. Hard to believe that a bank would sit on a loan that has not been paid on for years, but in this day and age anything is possible.

Well, what do you think they could do if scrooge isn't willing to give them the money? Shut down the arena and then own yet another vacant building in this city? I'm purely asking BTW. I do not have the solution for how these matters are supposed to be dealt. But that seems like that would happen possibly.

What I heard was it was supposed to be a 50/50 split between Afr and the city as far as ownership of the arena goes. Hasn't paid them a dime. How he got arena ownership I do not know but I hear it's not exactly a clear cut answer either that has room for difference of opinion.

Funny though, you were saying the complete opposite awhile ago....

Egypt is the country doc is from and where he hides all his money from the tax man.

I'm hearing rumors with some credibility that the whole deal with Pegula may be a no go. Afr hasn't made his mortgage payments in years, and the bank won't forclose because they don't want to own an empty arena. Other attempts to purchase the arena have been scuttled because the bank refuses to wave all its mortgage fees and delinquencies. The place may be unsellable until the landscape changes. The most likely landscape changing event would be Afr pulling up stakes and leaving.

You must have missed the above post

You must have missed the above post

That is different though then no interest, wouldn;t you say?

So whats happening then? If there is no more team after this year i'm gunna get a few of my buddies in the consruction business to help me take a wrecking ball to that place. If there is no team going forward it doesn't deserve to stand.

That is different though then no interest, wouldn;t you say?

So whats happening then? If there is no more team after this year i'm gunna get a few of my buddies in the consruction business to help me take a wrecking ball to that place. If there is no team going forward it doesn't deserve to stand.

No, I wouldn't say. Pegula isn't saying he didn't have interest. I know he did from people in sabres and jackals front office.

Who says jackals are going anywhere? He still own the rink , jackals will keep playing here. At least until code enforcement shuts the place down.

No matter what happens, leave the place standing. The kids need a place to play.

This thread can now be marked OT and fade into oblivion.

No, I wouldn't say. Pegula isn't saying he didn't have interest. I know he did from people in sabres and jackals front office.

Who says jackals are going anywhere? He still own the rink , jackals will keep playing here. At least until code enforcement shuts the place down.

No matter what happens, leave the place standing. The kids need a place to play.

This thread can now be marked OT and fade into oblivion.

If I can't have minor league hockey in the future no reason the city should have another almost vacant money sucking pit standing, send em to the Domes out in the sticks!

If I can't have minor league hockey in the future no reason the city should have another almost vacant money sucking pit standing, send em to the Domes out in the sticks!

Just realized this is my thread, so I can close it. I also get the last word.

There isn't enough ice time at the domes for the 250 kids in Elmira playing hockey, and the building won't be empty if its full of kids and families playing hockey 7 days a week. The game is much larger than F'n Afr and his jackals. You Jackals fans should realize that. An ice rink can serve as the center of a community and does in towns large and small all over north america. Open your eyes and appreciate the hockey being played by people who actually live here and contribute to the local economy.

I wish Afr would take them and go back where he came from. He is a money sucking blight on this community, and I am looking forward to the day he slinks off. Hockey was alive and well in Elmira long before he ever heard of Elmira, and it will continue to thrive long after he is gone.

I have opened this back up because the county has filed a foreclosure action against the rink. They haven't paid property taxes in 3 years.

Not good at all. If they foreclose on the property, Afr will shut down the team. I wonder if Robbie's share of the team could keep them going.

Foreclosure has begun on the arena.

Just realized this is my thread, so I can close it. I also get the last word.

There isn't enough ice time at the domes for the 250 kids in Elmira playing hockey, and the building won't be empty if its full of kids and families playing hockey 7 days a week. The game is much larger than F'n Afr and his jackals. You Jackals fans should realize that. An ice rink can serve as the center of a community and does in towns large and small all over north america. Open your eyes and appreciate the hockey being played by people who actually live here and contribute to the local economy.

I wish Afr would take them and go back where he came from. He is a money sucking blight on this community, and I am looking forward to the day he slinks off. Hockey was alive and well in Elmira long before he ever heard of Elmira, and it will continue to thrive long after he is gone.

You say that hockey is big here but it won't matter if we don't have a pro team. We already lost the Pios like 7 years ago, would be nice to have one pro team left. once the afr's die off that opportunity will never happen again as nobody in this community has money.

Not good at all. If they foreclose on the property, Afr will shut down the team. I wonder if Robbie's share of the team could keep them going.

Foreclosure has begun on the arena.

Yup.

http://www.wetmtv.com/news/local/story/Chemung-County-Starts-Foreclosure-Proceedings/eYUi-m6AQEOruk5uMnuAbQ.cspx

Southern Tier Economic Development is the owner of the building, but the Afr family, who owns the Elmira Jackals, is responsible for paying taxes and fees.

The Afr’s currently owe just over $136,000; Chemung County officials said the family is three years behind on payments.

Whos the dipstick in charge of that company that signed off on that deal???

On WENY News it sounded like County Executive Tom Santulli gave Afr his own little form of an ultimatum. "I don't want to go through this again if there is new ownership it needs to be stable." I think he really wants him out!

What WOULD happen if the County owned the arena? Any chance we would ever see minor league hockey again here?

What WOULD happen if the County owned the arena? Any chance we would ever see minor league hockey again here?

County will not fork out the kind of money needed to own and run a minor league hockey team. You would need someone like TPeg to have hockey here.

http://www.stargazet...-arena-s-future

STED still owns the arena, but a judge will probably sign a foreclosure order for it and other affected properties in the next 10 days, Santulli said. Once the order is signed, the property will belong to the county.

After that, there's a "redemption period" that starts when the judge signs the order and ends Feb. 29, during which owners can get their properties back by paying the overdue balance, plus a 10 percent penalty.

For the arena, that amount totals $136,234.

"The only person now that can redeem the property is the owner," Santulli said. "And the owner is STED. ... It's up to STED whether they decide to do this or not."

The development agency has no assets other than the arena, he said.

Santulli did not want to speculate about what the county might do with an arena.

"I think this has to play out, and then the county is going to have to make a decision," he said. "One thing I'm very sure of is that the county's not going to go into the arena business."

Even if STED doesn't redeem the property, the City of Elmira is still making loan payments to the federal government for the arena.

Elmira Mayor Sue Skidmore, who took office this month, said she believes the city would still have financial obligations after a foreclosure, but she's not sure of the specifics. City Manager John Burin and STED sources could not be reached.

Tamer Afr and arena General Manager Robbie Nichols did not return phone calls Saturday, and Mostafa Afr also could not be reached.

Good to know nobody involved here knows how to pick up or use a phone...Surprising, nobody could find Mostafa. Probably doesn't pay his phone bills either.....

This is gunna go down one of two ways....Afr will make the payment at the 11th hour and the team will finish the season but his future in Elmira is all but over or it's going to go to an auction which would be interesting.

Archived