Buffalo Sabres in Atlanta?

SabresFan526

Here's the Link

Turns out to be true. For people in Atlanta, like myself, even though the Thrashers have left town, pro hockey has not left. The Sabres apparently have reached an agreement with the Gwinnett Gladiators on an ECHL affiliation that they will share with the Phoenix Coyotes. I guess I might go catch a game or two and see some of the Sabre prospects in Gwinnett since it's in the Atlanta area.

I didn't even know there was an ECHL team here called the Gwinnett Gladiators before today. I also did not know they have been in business for about 8 years and had an affiliation with the Thrashers all this time. You learn something new everyday.

Here's the Link

Turns out to be true. For people in Atlanta, like myself, even though the Thrashers have left town, pro hockey has not left. The Sabres apparently have reached an agreement with the Gwinnett Gladiators on an ECHL affiliation that they will share with the Phoenix Coyotes. I guess I might go catch a game or two and see some of the Sabre prospects in Gwinnett since it's in the Atlanta area.

I didn't even know there was an ECHL team here called the Gwinnett Gladiators before today. I also did not know they have been in business for about 8 years and had an affiliation with the Thrashers all this time. You learn something new everyday.

Good stuff, man.

http://www.echl.com/URLgladiators-sign-affiliation-agreement-with-buffalo-sabres-p172768

Many of us were hoping for Elmira....but all things in Pegulatime.

Good stuff, man.

http://www.echl.com/URLgladiators-sign-affiliation-agreement-with-buffalo-sabres-p172768

Many of us were hoping for Elmira....but all things in Pegulatime.

I've never been to an ECHL game, but my cousin who lives in Greenville went to one. Apparently, it's a lot of fighting, which is fine, but could get boring after a while. However, you have to give that league some credit. Tim Thomas, a Vezina winner, did spend some time there, so there are some diamonds in the rough in that league that are probably worth watching. And, the fact that Sabre prospects are there, albeit the ones that weren't good enough to make the AHL, at least I have a vested interest in seeing them play and perform.

I went to Atlanta this past season for a Sabres game and actually went to Gwinnett. Pretty cool city. Nice, brand new ice rink and they are very proud of the fact they have the highest attendance in the ECHL, something like 7k per game. They love hockey down there, i know it's crazy to understand with Thrashers failing, but nobody wants to travel to Atlanta. Gwinnett to Atlanta on a easy, free flowing day is about 45 min drive, but more times then not, takes about 2 hours due to traffic. Nobody wants to waste 4 hours and 3 at a hockey game down there. Or baseball and nba for that matter.

I went to Atlanta this past season for a Sabres game and actually went to Gwinnett. Pretty cool city. Nice, brand new ice rink and they are very proud of the fact they have the highest attendance in the ECHL, something like 7k per game. They love hockey down there, i know it's crazy to understand with Thrashers failing, but nobody wants to travel to Atlanta. Gwinnett to Atlanta on a easy, free flowing day is about 45 min drive, but more times then not, takes about 2 hours due to traffic. Nobody wants to waste 4 hours and 3 at a hockey game down there. Or baseball and nba for that matter.

This. This. This. Phillips arena is in the frigging ghetto. I worked 2 blocks from it for years and used to worry about walking to my car at night. I've been chased, shouted at, effed with, and even had a DUDE in a skirt show me his junk and wink once. Not the place I want to be. Ever. Couple that with the crap traffic that coincides with face-off (7pm is about when it begins to die off) and no one cares enough to go.

I think that the Thrashers were in a better part of town - like Gwinnett center - then they would have been more successfull. Realistically, ATL would be a good AHL city. I'm looking forward to Gladiators games just for hockey's sake.

This. This. This. Phillips arena is in the frigging ghetto. I worked 2 blocks from it for years and used to worry about walking to my car at night. I've been chased, shouted at, effed with, and even had a DUDE in a skirt show me his junk and wink once. Not the place I want to be. Ever. Couple that with the crap traffic that coincides with face-off (7pm is about when it begins to die off) and no one cares enough to go.

I think that the Thrashers were in a better part of town - like Gwinnett center - then they would have been more successfull. Realistically, ATL would be a good AHL city. I'm looking forward to Gladiators games just for hockey's sake.

Also, that Gwinnett arena is nice. I've seen a half dozen concerts there and I always leave impressed. No need to be rushed through the CNN center and the employees aren't angry teenagers.

Best thing to roll through ATL.... Union Troops

Yup. I never understood it. But im a very social person. When i went to Atlanta for 3 days to see the Sabres, i spend a lot of time at bars and of course talked Sabres and hockey with anyone who would listen. Did the same in Gwinnett.

Here's the Link

Can somebody man a suicide watch for Korab? :o

(At least it wasn't Batavia. ;))

ECHL hockey is great to watch!

Young guys who hope to make it big time.

Loved it when Charlotte was ECHL; better now because they are AHL.

I agree on ECHL hockey being good however the rink they played at in Raleigh before canes came to town was in an old arena that didnt have AC. During ECHL finals it was in the 90s outside and players had to stop every five minutes to try to all skate fog away. Fog was worse than fog game Sabres and Flyers played in 76 SC finals

ECHL numbers almost as good as AHL numbers? Hard to figure out fact from fiction when considering promotions, freebies, etc...

ECHL... http://echl.com/stats/schedule.php?view=attendance&season_id=17

AHL... http://theahl.com/stats/schedule.php?view=attendance&season_id=34

The Glads do a fantastic job promoting their brand (much better than the Thrashers ever did), and draw accordingly. They (The Gladiators) are the reason I know hockey would work in Atlanta with the right ownership group. Anyways...I digress. It's probably th ebest posiible scenario for the Sabres as far as an ECHL affiliate. Coupled with the fact that call-ups won't be difficult as you can pretty much fly direct to anywhere from Atlanta.

I've never been to an ECHL game, but my cousin who lives in Greenville went to one. Apparently, it's a lot of fighting, which is fine, but could get boring after a while. However, you have to give that league some credit. Tim Thomas, a Vezina winner, did spend some time there, so there are some diamonds in the rough in that league that are probably worth watching. And, the fact that Sabre prospects are there, albeit the ones that weren't good enough to make the AHL, at least I have a vested interest in seeing them play and perform.

A lot of fights for sure. Like you said, most of the more highly skilled guys are in the A, so many of these guys are looking to make it to the next level with their fists, but not all of them.

As for some other diamonds in the rough - Marty Biron, Steve Shields, and Olie Kolzig. Other players with Buffalo connections that played in the E are Matt Ellis, Nolan Pratt, Eric Boulton, and (I think) Patrick Lalime. There are probably others but those are the ones I'm pretty sure of...

The Glads do a fantastic job promoting their brand (much better than the Thrashers ever did), and draw accordingly. They (The Gladiators) are the reason I know hockey would work in Atlanta with the right ownership group. Anyways...I digress. It's probably th ebest posiible scenario for the Sabres as far as an ECHL affiliate. Coupled with the fact that call-ups won't be difficult as you can pretty much fly direct to anywhere from Atlanta.

Flying out isn't the problem. Getting to the airport on the road is, no matter what part of ATL you're in. It doesn't matter if you're going through the Downtown Connector or taking the 285 to bypass some wreck on the Connector only to find another wreck on the 285. ATL is just horrible for traffic. I've lost count how many times I've gone through that town. If you're looking for Southern Hospitality around there, you won't find it in the way people drive down there.

Archived