(OT) Another Referee Story

ThePebble19

So, last week, I was refereeing in the Hershey Jr. Bears Pre-Season Tournament, and had 5 games over the course of the weekend. My games were pretty spaced out, but not enough that I could make the 30 minute drive home from the rink between games, so I just chose to hang out there and watch some of the other games going on.

During my first game on Saturday AM, I realized that the on the Flyers Youth team that was playing, there was a kid with the last name "Laperriere." I didn't really put it together until after the game but it was, in fact, Ian Laperriere's kid. I got to meet him between games, was a pretty neat deal.

Later on in the day, I had gone to get some food and come back to watch another game. I saw an older Flyers Youth team was playing, so I put my things in the locker room and sat down in the stands to watch. I started up a conversation with a mother sitting next to me about what level the kids were, how long the drive was, just normal stuff...About 2 minutes into the convo, her husband comes back with a hot dog and sits down. It is Peter Laviolette, who's son was playing in the game.

Now, I don't know how most of you feel about him, but he has always struck me the wrong way...So, pretty much since his Carolina days, I haven't been able to stand him. At this point, I figure - How many times in your life do you get to tell someone that you really don't like how you feel about them?

So, his wife actually introduced me, and we said hello and shook hands. Here was the conversation that ensued:

Wife: So, are you a Flyers fan?

Me: Oh God, no. (met with laughter), I'm actually from Buffalo, so I'm a Sabres fan.

(They both kind of nod their head, seemingly realizing where this is heading)

Me: So, needless to say, between Carolina and Philly you have pretty much been the bane of my existance for the last 7 years or so.

(They both laughed, as I presented it in sort of a joking type manner.)

Peter: Well, sorry to hear that.

Me: (laughing) Yep, no hard feelings, you just aren't one of my favorite hockey figures.

We joked about it for a minute or two more, and he made a couple comments on how tough of a series the playoff series was, and that Buffalo has a real good team. At that point, I had to get ready for my next game, so I said goodbye and headed back to the locker room...

Was a pretty cool day.

You should have rubbed a staph-infected shin pad in his face.

My son's team played a little flyers team a few years back. The goalie was a head taller than everyone else on the ice. His last name? LeClair. Yeah, that LeClair. His father John was the coach, and was an absolute monster - never realized how big he was.

You should have rubbed a staph-infected shin pad in his face.

My son's team played a little flyers team a few years back. The goalie was a head taller than everyone else on the ice. His last name? LeClair. Yeah, that LeClair. His father John was the coach, and was an absolute monster - never realized how big he was.

Yeah, Laperriere's kid was at least half a foot taller than almost every other kid on their Squirt B team.

At least you were honest with him.

He did a good job taking it in stride. I am sure someone in his position is well aware that hundreds of thousands of people in the world dislike him.

I remember when I was a little kid watching him play for Binghamton against the Amerks in both 91 and 92 in the second round playoffs. Learned to hate him at an early age.

Too bad his Rangers lost to us both years!

Yeah, Laperriere's kid was at least half a foot taller than almost every other kid on their Squirt B team.

That actually surprises me considering Laperriere is short himself, or at least he seems very short on the ice. But, I guess he is 6'1, so not that short after all.

It is more surprising to me that he is playing Squirt B and is taller than the rest of the kids - for him to be on Squirt B, I would have expected him to be playing up, and hence be of average size . The fact that he is bigger than the rest but playing Squirt B tells me LaPerriere wasn't giving it his all that night, or that he impregnated a woman with two left feet and balance issues.

At least you were honest with him.

He did a good job taking it in stride. I am sure someone in his position is well aware that hundreds of thousands of people in the world dislike despise him.

I remember when I was a little kid watching him play for Binghamton against the Amerks in both 91 and 92 in the second round playoffs. Learned to hate him at an early age.

Too bad his Rangers lost to us both years!

Fixed :angry:

It is more surprising to me that he is playing Squirt B and is taller than the rest of the kids - for him to be on Squirt B, I would have expected him to be playing up, and hence be of average size . The fact that he is bigger than the rest but playing Squirt B tells me LaPerriere wasn't giving it his all that night, or that he impregnated a woman with two left feet and balance issues.

Squirt was the lowest level of the tournament, and that particular Flyers Youth team was a Mite cross-ice team that was playing up, just so that Philly had a team in that age bracket of the tournament.

I wasn't real clear on about that, sorry...

Squirt was the lowest level of the tournament, and that particular Flyers Youth team was a Mite cross-ice team that was playing up, just so that Philly had a team in that age bracket of the tournament.

I wasn't real clear on about that, sorry...

Ah, Yes. USA Hockey's newest brain child - all Mites must play cross ice. Get used to Squirt C, D and E divisions, as that's where all the Mites will be playing. It's either that or hold underground full ice Mite games in the middle of the night so the Mite Hockey Police from USA Hockey don't catch them. Thankfully, my youngest is a Squirt this year.

Ah, Yes. USA Hockey's newest brain child - all Mites must play cross ice. Get used to Squirt C, D and E divisions, as that's where all the Mites will be playing. It's either that or hold underground full ice Mite games in the middle of the night so the Mite Hockey Police from USA Hockey don't catch them. Thankfully, my youngest is a Squirt this year.

Yep, I see what they are trying to do, but not sure the execution will follow with it...as a result, The lower squirt teams will be a lot worse than they were previously, just because you are now teaching rules to these kids for the first time. I do like the no-checking in Pee Wee this year, that seems to have helped them some.

I reffed a cross-ice game last year...if you can call it that...basically just a "make sure nobody gets hurt" role...just a crowd of kids falling down on the puck, and moving across the ice together.

Yep, I see what they are trying to do, but not sure the execution will follow with it...as a result, The lower squirt teams will be a lot worse than they were previously, just because you are now teaching rules to these kids for the first time. I do like the no-checking in Pee Wee this year, that seems to have helped them some.

I reffed a cross-ice game last year...if you can call it that...basically just a "make sure nobody gets hurt" role...just a crowd of kids falling down on the puck, and moving across the ice together.

Cross ice works and is appropriate for kids that fall down chasing the puck - my disagreement with it is at the upper Mite levels. I don't know how they think cross ice for Mites playing at the AA or AAA level is a good thing.

I have a second year peewee who checked last year and isn't allowed to this year. I don't know how they are going to implement these rule changes. They allow rubbing and angling, but no body checking? Peewee is now officially the hardest level to ref - you have my condolences. I anticipate a really frustrating year, because what is allowed at the peewee level will be different for every referee. The kids won't know what the hell they are allowed to do. For my son, who's on a really strong team with state championship aspirations, that sucks.

Cross ice works and is appropriate for kids that fall down chasing the puck - my disagreement with it is at the upper Mite levels. I don't know how they think cross ice for Mites playing at the AA or AAA level is a good thing.

I have a second year peewee who checked last year and isn't allowed to this year. I don't know how they are going to implement these rule changes. They allow rubbing and angling, but no body checking? Peewee is now officially the hardest level to ref - you have my condolences. I anticipate a really frustrating year, because what is allowed at the peewee level will be different for every referee. The kids won't know what the hell they are allowed to do. For my son, who's on a really strong team with state championship aspirations, that sucks.

It is going to be a difficult situation for the first couple of months of the season until the coaches see what most refs are going to call and not going to call. I think there will be a LOT of misconduct and major penalties at first, which will probably tail off by the end of the year. We've pretty much had it hammered in our heads by the local assignors and by USA hockey that we are to call Pee Wee games the same way we call Squirt games, as far as checking goes.

But, you are right...it is going to be a rough situation at first. I have my first Pee Wee game tomorrow (I'm only a level 2, so this is the first year I can do Pee Wee). I can't wait to do games where checking is allowed, because at least the penalties are more cut and dry than "was that too much contact?" or "was that really a check, or can that kid just not skate?"

It is going to be a difficult situation for the first couple of months of the season until the coaches see what most refs are going to call and not going to call. I think there will be a LOT of misconduct and major penalties at first, which will probably tail off by the end of the year. We've pretty much had it hammered in our heads by the local assignors and by USA hockey that we are to call Pee Wee games the same way we call Squirt games, as far as checking goes.

But, you are right...it is going to be a rough situation at first. I have my first Pee Wee game tomorrow (I'm only a level 2, so this is the first year I can do Pee Wee). I can't wait to do games where checking is allowed, because at least the penalties are more cut and dry than "was that too much contact?" or "was that really a check, or can that kid just not skate?"

The part about calling them just like squirt games is NOT what we have been told, and frankly, isn't what the USA Hockey videos show. They are supposed to continue to allow shoulder to shoulder and angling hits, but take out the body checks. My understanding is that they actually want to increase the contact at the squirt level, as you can't look at someone the wrong way without being called at squirts. Every time someone falls down, an arm goes up, and it's crap. Sometimes weak skaters fall down. It doesn't mean a strong skater committed a penalty. And game misconducts can effect the outcome of games which can have an effect on who makes the state tournament. It's not fair to the kids playing the game to change the rules midstream, and then add in the inconsistency across the field of referees. We are going to have to send the weaker kids out to run a couple people at the beginning of games to see what is allowed. Sound crazy? It is. But not as crazy as the wide range of calls we will see for the exact same play this year. (No, my organization wont do this, but i can guarantee you there are some that will.) Add in that we are going to the Bell Cup this year in Ottawa where it will be full contact and then some, and maybe you can start to see the frustration for the local teams and organizations.

A word of advice: please tell the peewee coaches what you will allow and what you won't before the game, and no matter how you interperet these BS new rules, please be consistent.

The part about calling them just like squirt games is NOT what we have been told, and frankly, isn't what the USA Hockey videos show. They are supposed to continue to allow shoulder to shoulder and angling hits, but take out the body checks. My understanding is that they actually want to increase the contact at the squirt level, as you can't look at someone the wrong way without being called at squirts. Every time someone falls down, an arm goes up, and it's crap. Sometimes weak skaters fall down. It doesn't mean a strong skater committed a penalty. And game misconducts can effect the outcome of games which can have an effect on who makes the state tournament. It's not fair to the kids playing the game to change the rules midstream, and then add in the inconsistency across the field of referees. We are going to have to send the weaker kids out to run a couple people at the beginning of games to see what is allowed. Sound crazy? It is. But not as crazy as the wide range of calls we will see for the exact same play this year. (No, my organization wont do this, but i can guarantee you there are some that will.) Add in that we are going to the Bell Cup this year in Ottawa where it will be full contact and then some, and maybe you can start to see the frustration for the local teams and organizations.

A word of advice: please tell the peewee coaches what you will allow and what you won't before the game, and no matter how you interperet these BS new rules, please be consistent.

I got my level 4 certification 10 days ago and the head of the ADM program explained how USA Hockey wants the modifications to be implemented.

They want pee wee coaches to have full checking in our practices (that's the level I coach currently) but in the games they want us to have our players play the puck. While the players are playing the puck, they CAN check the opposing player provided they make contact prior to driving the player into tomorrow (basically, you can't get a running (skating) start to hit the opponent) AND you more or less have to have your stick on the ice near (playing) the puck. So, as long as you appear to be playing the puck, you can drive through the opponent, but if your stick comes up you are no longer playing the puck and will be called. You also have no linger time after the puck is moved from your opponent's stick (so basically Neil's hit on Drury would never be legal in PW or lower; not that it should have been legal in the NHL, just saying it isn't legal for the 12 and under set). As soon as the opponent moves the puck on, you can't hit him. BUT you can still have a positional battle in front of the net as you don't have to give your real estate up to the opponent. But that battle has to have contact made by a player before he tries to move his opponent. The cross checks that Rick Vaive lived through would be called at this level apparently.

They apparently will allow that level of contact in Squirt this year as well. But they don't want the coaches teaching full checking in practices, though they do want to introduce more contact at that level as well.

And I agree with you that reffing PW games will be an extremely difficult job.

I had my first PW contest today, and it went pretty well. It was a Pee Wee B game, and for me it was good to actually do it with one of my local assignors. Overall, it went pretty well. The kids were really good about the new rules, and you could tell that there were a couple of kids out there that were struggling with not being able to body check. It was a pretty clean game, but we had a great set of coaches who were very good about informing the kids what they could and couldn't do as the game went along.

I'm a first year level 2, so this was a good experience today. I'm kind of a rare ref, it seems, around here...I didn't play ice hockey as a kid(I'm 29 now), and really didn't learn to ice skate until the last 5 years or so. I played a few years of Roller Hockey, but never Ice Hockey, and in actuality until about 3 months before last season, I was still learning to stop on ice skates... :bag:

But it is getting better for me this year...I am finding it is easier to pay attention to the game the more I am on the ice, and the less I am worrying about my skating. Last year was a pretty big disaster for me, because on top of learning the game, I was still learning to skate properly. I got evaluated in my first game of the season last week, and was pleasantly surprised how it went. I did pretty well with mechanics, and positioning, but the biggest thing was just to keep working on my skating...I will be hitting the public skating a lot more this year.

So, last week, I was refereeing in the Hershey Jr. Bears Pre-Season Tournament, and had 5 games over the course of the weekend. My games were pretty spaced out, but not enough that I could make the 30 minute drive home from the rink between games, so I just chose to hang out there and watch some of the other games going on.

During my first game on Saturday AM, I realized that the on the Flyers Youth team that was playing, there was a kid with the last name "Laperriere." I didn't really put it together until after the game but it was, in fact, Ian Laperriere's kid. I got to meet him between games, was a pretty neat deal.

Later on in the day, I had gone to get some food and come back to watch another game. I saw an older Flyers Youth team was playing, so I put my things in the locker room and sat down in the stands to watch. I started up a conversation with a mother sitting next to me about what level the kids were, how long the drive was, just normal stuff...About 2 minutes into the convo, her husband comes back with a hot dog and sits down. It is Peter Laviolette, who's son was playing in the game.

Now, I don't know how most of you feel about him, but he has always struck me the wrong way...So, pretty much since his Carolina days, I haven't been able to stand him. At this point, I figure - How many times in your life do you get to tell someone that you really don't like how you feel about them?

So, his wife actually introduced me, and we said hello and shook hands. Here was the conversation that ensued:

We joked about it for a minute or two more, and he made a couple comments on how tough of a series the playoff series was, and that Buffalo has a real good team. At that point, I had to get ready for my next game, so I said goodbye and headed back to the locker room...

Was a pretty cool day.

You had your chance and let us down. :angry:

Good story. :lol:

Archived